1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Insurance tip (if you don't drive your classic Ford very often)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:08 PM
biederboat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance tip (if you don't drive your classic Ford very often)

I have a 78 F250 4X4 that I purchased to do a combination of restoring and occasional (very occasional) driving/use. It runs and drives but I hadn't put insurance on it yet since I didn't want to get hit with the monthly premium for a rig that was mostly sitting. Talked to my agent and, as it turns out, the rig and my usage pattern make it quality for "antique" status which will lower the monthly bill to less than $10/month (liability only, no collision). The basic criteria is at least 25 years old and no more than about 2,000 miles/year. For now, that works great since I'm mainly driving it just to put some use on it but even when I will use it more often, I doubt I'll exceed that amount.

Saves me about $30/month, might work for some of you guys as well although I suspect most of you use your rig more than I do. Apparently they don't care where or how it's used (not sure about severe off roading which I won't do though). If I ever get to the point that I use it more, I just have to change the rating back.

BB

Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! I pay just under four hundred a year for my 77 F150 4X4 and thats full coverage including towing and roadside assistance and free windshield replacement if it should get cracked

Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 PM
BornEdFord
New User
I live in New Jersey, and they have a lot of registration plates available. Problem is, they have so many restrictions. If you register it as an antique, you get a license plate that begins with the letters 'QQ'. If you have QQ plates you are not subject to State Inspection (they only test emissions here), and you are only allowed to use it for "Education or Exhibition" only. They do not have a mileage allowance for personal use. I was told that if you even put something in the bed, they usually don't bother you, but, they can cite you for improper use, and you will lose the QQ plates. They have plates for 'Street Rod", but you must be a member of a car club, there are others, but the state doesn't seem want older vehicles on the road.
I had to locate a NOS carburetor emission plate, so my truck would pass emissions. Many states don't require emissions testing on 25 or 35 year old vehicles, because parts for most of those experimental systems are just not available.
Sorry for venting, but this is a sore spot with me.
Ed

Old 11-26-2014, 10:22 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the tip BB. I was just about to do the same.

I need tags, registration, insurance and state inspection. I heard that come next march they are doing away with the inspection sticker in Texas but not clear if they'll still do checks.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have two classics. Both with regular plates. The hot rod I insure with Hagerty. They are looking for 3,000 miles a year or less but not too many other restrictions besides no nitrous. Cost is very reasonable. The Dent I drive more and insure with my regular carrier. It isn't bad either.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 AM
biederboat
Elder User
Originally Posted by OldMetal
WOW! I pay just under four hundred a year for my 77 F150 4X4 and thats full coverage including towing and roadside assistance and free windshield replacement if it should get cracked
That would be about what I'd pay under the same circumstance (i.e. more of a driver).

As I read it from my insurance company, this has nothing to do with the registration status of the vehicle. Plate or no plate, shown or not shown (car shows, parades, etc.). The two main criteria are age and miles and then, to some extent, the condition/status of the vehicle. It looks like they go through a brief evaluation (you have to fill out a form and send in photos). I don't necessarily know that it's a "shoe in" but I'll report back as to the results.

BB