Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM
djmichael24951
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEI ignition

What would a HEI distributor, do for my 95 F150 5.0L? More power? Better fuel consumption?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
Lighter wallet....that's it. The Ford ignition system is already considered HEI.

Please make all checks payable to cash

Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 PM
djmichael24951
Tuned
Ignition Performance

Originally Posted by rla2005
Lighter wallet....that's it. The Ford ignition system is already considered HEI.

Please make all checks payable to cash
What spark plug would you recommend? I've been comparing the Accel U-Groove and the Bosch Platinum +4.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by djmichael24951
What would a HEI distributor, do for my 95 F150 5.0L? More power? Better fuel consumption?
IF you were dumping the whole computer-controlled everything I know there are GM-based HEI systems that can be dropped on a Ford engine and give you a working, non-computer-controlled HEI ignition. I don't know if there's an equivalent Ford system that's as easy to install.

But dumping the computer is a lot of work to get less fuel mileage and frequently less power. So you've got to REALLY want a non-computer engine to even think about going that route. Otherwise rla2005 is right on, no reason to go HEI.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What spark plug would you recommend? I've been comparing the Accel U-Groove and the Bosch Platinum +4.
Neither of those.

Assuming we're talking about a stock 5.0L here, I'd suggest a set of Motorcraft 42C's (SP450's) or a set of stock heat-range, copper NGK's (6945's).

Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM
djmichael24951
Tuned
Question Spark Plug

Originally Posted by White Max
Neither of those.

Assuming we're talking about a stock 5.0L here, I'd suggest a set of Motorcraft 42C's (SP450's) or a set of stock heat-range, copper NGK's (6945's).
So you recommend copper core over platinum? I thought platinum was supposed to increase hp, and fuel economy. And yes, I do have a stock 5.0L.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, don't fall for them craptastic marketing scams. Everybody says their spark plug are better than the other guys, will give you more power, more fuel economy, but in reality these older engines are happy with copper plugs.

I mean come on... look at this ridiculousness (funniest one yet!):

Pulstar :: The world's best, most powerful sparkplug.

Capacitors in a spark plug... really? You can only get out of a capacitor what you put into it. Which generally means slowly charging it so that you can get a rapid discharge. Not happening because the coil is basically acting as a capacitor already, so you're charging a capacitor with a capacitor (not really but same concept).

I run Autolite coppers in all my Fords. Even my 4.6L Thunderbird got 'em and I've never had a problem with any engine related to the plugs I was using. Yeah I might have to change coppers more often, but to me that's a GOOD thing. Do you really want to leave plugs in for 100K miles and then hope they come out without breaking? I don't. And it gives me a chance to take a look at what's going on inside the engine by looking at the condition and color of the plugs, so more frequent inspection is an added benefit.

The only "benefit" to platinum plugs (and they ain't pure platinum, they are platinum COATED) is longer service life which is not a benefit to me for the reasons above.

If you want a hotter spark, then set your gap bigger (within reason) and get a hotter coil.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 AM
djmichael24951
Tuned
Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by dixie460
Yup, don't fall for them craptastic marketing scams. Everybody says their spark plug are better than the other guys, will give you more power, more fuel economy, but in reality these older engines are happy with copper plugs.

I mean come on... look at this ridiculousness (funniest one yet!):

Pulstar :: The world's best, most powerful sparkplug.

Capacitors in a spark plug... really? You can only get out of a capacitor what you put into it. Which generally means slowly charging it so that you can get a rapid discharge. Not happening because the coil is basically acting as a capacitor already, so you're charging a capacitor with a capacitor (not really but same concept).

I run Autolite coppers in all my Fords. Even my 4.6L Thunderbird got 'em and I've never had a problem with any engine related to the plugs I was using. Yeah I might have to change coppers more often, but to me that's a GOOD thing. Do you really want to leave plugs in for 100K miles and then hope they come out without breaking? I don't. And it gives me a chance to take a look at what's going on inside the engine by looking at the condition and color of the plugs, so more frequent inspection is an added benefit.

The only "benefit" to platinum plugs (and they ain't pure platinum, they are platinum COATED) is longer service life which is not a benefit to me for the reasons above.

If you want a hotter spark, then set your gap bigger (within reason) and get a hotter coil.
What about the Accel U-Groove, I mentioned earlier? They are a copper core. Do they have any kind of advantage over the rest? I found some on Ebay for $2.99 each (about the same price as most of the good copper cores). Where as they are $4.25 each at the local parts store.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
What about the Accel U-Groove, I mentioned earlier? They are a copper core. Do they have any kind of advantage over the rest? I found some on Ebay for $2.99 each (about the same price as most of the good copper cores). Where as they are $4.25 each at the local parts store.
Complete waste of time and your money. Stick to plain ol' copper core spark plugs. Many suggest Motorcraft, I have used Autolite with no issues.

You are not going to see a gram of performance or MPG gains other than the simple fact your old plugs may be old and in need of replacement. Simple, cheap copper core plugs are proven to be the best bang for the buck time and again on these old trucks.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
I found some on Ebay for $2.99 each (about the same price as most of the good copper cores).
Where are you shopping? RockAuto has the NGK 6945's for $0.92 each, the Autolite 25's for $1.06, and the Motorcraft 42C's for $1.42.

If you're looking for a longer service life, then a single plat plug has its place. I'd suggest the Motorcraft 42P's (SP502), which list for $2.26 each at RockAuto.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM
djmichael24951
Tuned
Spark Plugs

Where are you shopping? RockAuto has the NGK 6945's for $0.92 each, the Autolite 25's for $1.06, and the Motorcraft 42C's for $1.42.

If you're looking for a longer service life, then a single plat plug has its place. I'd suggest the Motorcraft 42P's (SP502), which list for $2.26 each at RockAuto.
I used to use Champion Truck plugs in all my Dodges. What do you think about those? Does Champions do well in Fords?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
I wouldn't put them at the top of my list. What is your apprehension toward running a Motorcraft (Ford) or Autolite (used to be Ford) plug in a Ford engine? It seems that you're interested in running anything but what we recommend here.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:58 PM
djmichael24951
Tuned
Spark Plugs

I wouldn't put them at the top of my list. What is your apprehension toward running a Motorcraft (Ford) or Autolite (used to be Ford) plug in a Ford engine? It seems that you're interested in running anything but what we recommend here.
Nothing in particular buddy. If I offended you, I'm sorry. I spent 14 years in the U.S. Marine Corps, before I got my disability. Through all them years, until recent, I was always partial to Dodge. Everything I know, I know about a Dodge. Hell I even worked for Dodge for 5 years as a Mechanic after I got an Associates Degree in college in Automotive Mechanics. I just recently changed over to Ford, because the Dodge gas tank got to rich for my pocket. I was just trying to compare what I know, with what I don't know. But, you can rest assured, I'll drop the subject of the spark plug, right now.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 AM
eyesman2
New User
you already have a high energy ignition,I mean it shouldnt have points and a condenser in it,that went out in the 70's! So what many people do to the 302's is to livin up the stock system...This includes a hotter coil,bigger spark plug wires,bigger spark plug gap and a timing bump also called the six liter tune-up. Many people have done this to their 302's from mustang guy's to truck guy's and everyone swears by the copper cores! Here is a link ......ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K) - FSB Forums

Old 02-07-2014, 10:07 AM
djmichael24951
Tuned
Tune-up

Originally Posted by eyesman2
you already have a high energy ignition,I mean it shouldnt have points and a condenser in it,that went out in the 70's! So what many people do to the 302's is to livin up the stock system...This includes a hotter coil,bigger spark plug wires,bigger spark plug gap and a timing bump also called the six liter tune-up. Many people have done this to their 302's from mustang guy's to truck guy's and everyone swears by the copper cores! Here is a link ......ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K) - FSB Forums
Are the 8mm Autolite Professional plug wires, as good as, say, Accel's or, MSD's?

Quick Reply: HEI ignition