1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Reality Show Backroads Gold

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
New Reality Show Backroads Gold

Corky Coker from Coker Tire/ Honest Charley's is the latest to join the reality TV crowd. It set to premiere tomorrow Wed, Feb 5 on the Travel Channel 9:30 PM ET.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tNG3vsIw40g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Am glad I contributed to his habit !!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything with Corky has to be at least a little interesting! Lol!!!! I'll be watching!

Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Wayne S
Elder User
Thanks for the info. I will be watching.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
The problem with "reality" shows like this is they ruin the hobby for everyone else.

Just like the antique shows. When people see these guys driving around and finding "barn finds" and rebuilding them to sell, they will beat the bushes and dig out all the cool old stuff you guys are looking for. This increase in demand will drive the prices up.

Overall, if this show becomes popular it will be bad for the hobby.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
The problem with "reality" shows like this is they ruin the hobby for everyone else.

Just like the antique shows. When people see these guys driving around and finding "barn finds" and rebuilding them to sell, they will beat the bushes and dig out all the cool old stuff you guys are looking for. This increase in demand will drive the prices up.

Overall, if this show becomes popular it will be bad for the hobby.
That's what I was thinking when I first heard about the show. Seriously, there was a time when a guy could scoop up some storage units at auction cheap and make a few bucks at the flea market.. no more.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Corky Coker from Coker Tire/ Honest Charley's is the latest to join the reality TV crowd. It set to premiere tomorrow Wed, Feb 5 on the Travel Channel 9:30 PM ET.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tNG3vsIw40g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Set up a season pass to record just in case I'm out and about!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is second attempt at the same type of show
He couldn't act in the first one maybe he got Arnold to coach him

Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Now you say that I thought I saw another similar show with him in it! My wife even reminded me of it asking me if I only wanted new shows to record! Guess she pays more attention to what I watch than I thought.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
... maybe he got Arnold to coach him
LOL!

Yeah, don't these guys have anything else to do than scrounge old trucks?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM
wallster
Elder User
I heard Corky speak about this show on Carcast (Adam Carolla podcast) and he sounds like a pretty interesting guy. That being said, I've about had it with all these picking, car flipping, hot-rod building shows on cable already. I know they'll die off just like all the motorcycle/chopper shows of the past. I would rather see a show about real people (like us) that have bought an old truck or car and show how much work they did while holding down a regular job. A hobbyists view more or less and without all the bs deadlines, family clashes, and nonsense.

Wally

Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Good point Wally and don't forget all the freebie stuff the Sponsors give them i.e. Crate engines, complete chassis, and custom one off wheels!!!! Not to mention the 20k paint jobs

Old 02-05-2014, 03:12 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The "reality " shows are getting out of hand. If you search behind the scenes it's revealed that the major reality is it's mostly setups by the show's producers and directors. There was an interview in Hot Rod with the guys from the street racing show where they talk about how their racing is actually set up in cooperation with the authorities that shut down the roads for their races. It was revealed that the storage lockers on storage wars were/are salted with the valuable items usually provided by the "experts" they take them to to promote their business. Pawn stars promote Chumley as a buffoon, but off camera the guy is actually quite intelligent, drives a $1/4M Bentley as his DD. The picks on Antique Archeology are all pre arranged and set up. The van is driven to them by professional drivers while Mike and Frank fly in to the location by private jet and are chauffeured by limo to the pick site. They could not possibly survive on the meager profits they claim on the basically junk they pick much less expand the one location, and open a second if it wasn't for the big bucks paid to them and the rest of their people by the network. On Gold Rush one of the minor crewmen broke his arm and suddenly Todd arranges a med vac plane from Guyana to the states for him. ( a well maintained dirt airstrip suddenly "appeared" right next to the dig site.) Do you know what a med vac flight like that actually costs??? I know of a scuba diver that got the bends in the Caribbean and was life flighted to Miami. The cost was right at $1M. and is not covered by standard insurance.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree. All of these picking, flipping and storage shows are taking the fun out of finding old stuff. Now everyone, and I mean everyone, thinks that their garbage is worth a ton of money. I was into buying/selling well before the reality shows popped up. I used to make good money flipping different items. Now, I can barely find anything because everyone is doing this and is driving the prices up. Nothing is selling either because everyone wants to get a "deal".

Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM
fun-ford
Senior User
well that was 30 mins wasted that I should have been in the garage working.
Crazy prices,wanted more for the GTO than the over priced,over restored ones brought at Barret Jackson.

Quick Reply: New Reality Show Backroads Gold