Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM
New User

LRShooting is starting off with a positive reputation.
1973 Ford F-600 Gas-Perkins Conversion

We have a 1973 F-600 that will need a engine pretty soon. We use it as a tender truck for hauling soybean seed around to the planter. The engine goes through oil faster than anything I've ever seen. Its been run to almost dry a couple times. We have a Perkins 354 diesel out of a old MF 550 thats been setting around for probably 10 years. After a diesel flush, it fired right up. I was wondering if any of you have experience in doing a Perkins swap. I know it has been done with quite a few 70's era Ford trucks with the majority of them being light duty. Engine mounts seem to be pretty straight forward and I am not to worried about that. However, I am worried about bell housing fitment and speed issues. Perkins comes with a SAE bell housing, but I don't know about ford. I can build a bell housing and it has been done with stuff like car rims and steel place even. A bell housing that would fit into place would be preferred though. Also, how can I up the speed? I'm pretty sure that MF 550 only ran around 2200 rpm like most farm equipment. Only thing I can think of it a differential ratio change or a gear box that would bolt to the tranny and change the speed.

Now I realize it would be simpler to just find another gas engine or rebuild this one which is probably fried, but Id really like to have that perkins in it. The extra torque would help a lot going up some of the hills we have around here. Not only that, but it gets used as a overflow in good corn since we don't have a grain cart ATM. It'd really suck to have the gas engine die on me going up hill with a full load and a .5 mile long steep hill to go backwards down. Call me a idiot, but this truck only has one working brake in the front, and it barely works at that...LOL.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Posting Guru

VocaTexas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.VocaTexas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Send off for their info. It's right up your alley:

Shade Tree Conversions at Shade Tree Conversions.
More Dentsides Waiting To Be Resurrected
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocaTexas View Post
Send off for their info. It's right up your alley:

Shade Tree Conversions at Shade Tree Conversions.

Actually, I have their book... If the F-600 is the same, rock on! Otherwise, it mainly just covers small trucks.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Postmaster

teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.
From what I have read, the ag engines can break the crank snout in auto applications because they aren't properly dampened. The continuously varying rpms apparently take their toll.
Other than that, I am really interested in a Perkins swap!

Old truck: 74 F250 Converted 4WD sold
Some other 4 wheeled vehicles also reside in the driveway
Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teds74ford View Post
From what I have read, the ag engines can break the crank snout in auto applications because they aren't properly dampened. The continuously varying rpms apparently take their toll.
Other than that, I am really interested in a Perkins swap!
teds74ford... This applies to basically combines only. Some other equipment is the same way, but generally combines. Reason being that once your going in a combine, you stay top rpm and don't speed up/slow down. Being properly dampened actually ends up meaning just swapping the damper because the original doesn't have any dampening material. Its just a pulley. If I can and if I actually do it, Ill try to post a few pictures. Big issue with a damper on this is that I can't find one, and its hard to tell if dampening a motor that was not built to have a damper will work.

BTW, I use damper and harmonic balancer the same even if their not in case your confused.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Postmaster

teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.
Interesting. I thought most of them had this problem, but you are saying that tractors and other stuff have the damper/harmonic balancer?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 AM
New User

Quote:
Interesting. I thought most of them had this problem, but you are saying that tractors and other stuff have the damper/harmonic balancer?
Exactly. For example, a Massey Ferguson 1100 has a damper and it also has the Perkins 354 in it. Problem is that Perkins has 152 different cranks in the 354 engines.I need to take some measurements and call around. I already have called a dealer and a damper will run 1700$ new. I could buy a decent 6BT cummins for that and itd probably mate up better. I might be able to find a used damper for way cheap though or trade engines for a perkins that already has a damper.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Postmaster

I am toying with looking for either a 6 or a 4 cyl diesel for my crew. Do the 4 bangers come with the correct damper?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teds74ford View Post
I am toying with looking for either a 6 or a 4 cyl diesel for my crew. Do the 4 bangers come with the correct damper?
Honestly, cylinder numbers don't matter. Whats going to matter is what the motor came out of. IMO, you should get a cummins. The parts are WAY easier to find. Perkins is not all that popular. And Im sure parts are cheaper. I mean, 1700$ for a damper? Thats ridiculous. The dampers on our big John Deere 4wds don't even cost that much. And the engines are twice the size. Im still looking for a damper, but there's no guarantee itll fit.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:50 AM
Postmaster

muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.
I can't remember his name off the top of my head right now, but there is a guy on here with a 75 250 or 350 that has a 6.0 perkins in it, he knows a fair bit about the 354 as well.

You could try bridgeport tractor works about a damper. Their yard is huge and they are pretty knowledgeable, although they are not always the cheapest.

The 354 used either a #2 or a #3 SAE bellhousing, so a bellhousing shouldn't be too bad, just pay attention to input shaft length. I believe that the 477 and 534 had SAE bells, you could also try a tranny from behind a 3208(not sure which bell they use, I'm guessing a #3)

My brother in laws cousin was going to scrap a couple 550 combines cause the tires were too expensive. I'm currently dealing with him to get the two 6.354's so I'm in the same boat as you. I want one in the 57 F350 and one in the 55 F600.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 AM
Postmaster

muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.muscletruck7379 has a good reputation on FTE.
Also cat owns perkins now which is probably why the dealer wanted so much for the damper. Cats are incredible engines, but they paint them yellow. To remind you of the gold they charge for them!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior User

perky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Definitely needs a balancer.I broke 2 372 cranks yes there is alot of them difference in how they have been harden and if the front of the crank is splined
are keyed.I did a balancer for a guy 10 yrs ago buy turning the pully down to make a hub and then used a small block Chevy balancer turned the center out from the back side to fit the piece from the Perkins he used the Chevrolet pulleys worked out great he put 70.000 mile on the suburban before somebody smashed into the side of him.he had a Chevy adaptor.
The 372 Perkins I had came from a 750MF combine turbo had it turned up and running 2700rpm.there are at least 2 different saw 3 motor housings different depths I have both had them for Allison.there great motors and have more lower end grunt than the Cummins.I run both the Cummins and Perkins.yes the Cummins will run faster stop light to stoplight.But pulling a load up a hill Perkins will out do the Cummins stock for stock.And is fuel efficient.
sorry for such a long post.

And yes after Cat bout Perkins prices triple. I have been buying parts from AgKits.com
great people to deal with.
My buddy has a 65 Chevrolet with a 354 in it running a Chevy adaptor.
Dale
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks