Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Floyd's Servant '55 F100

fabieber is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clutch Replacement

Removed Floyd's clutch assembly. The disc is really messed up on the pressure plate side. Do you guys think I need to replace the pressure plate as well as the disc?

I also read somewhere that I should have the flywheel checked to make sure it isn't warped. If so, how so I do that?

Before I took it apart I can tell you the truck jumped like crazy as I engaged the clutch.

Fred
Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
IMO, a correct clutch job would include a resurface of the flywheel, new or rebuilt pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. Many professional mechanics will not do the job unless they do all this. You may get by with less.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Its one of those things where, "since you've got it torn apart you might as well go all the way"
It would be a shame to just slap another clutch disc in there and still have a nasty clutch chatter. I say, go ahead and pull the flywheel and drop it off at a machine shop to get resurfaced, buy a complete clutch kit and replace the disc, pressure plate, pilot bushing, and throw-out bearing. (pretty amazing advice coming from me since I'm the ultimate cheapskate....LOL)

Do it all, do it once
Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Senior User

Steve is starting off with a positive reputation.
All good advice. Another pearl of wisdom is to be sure and clean all the oil off the cover and the flywheel (and your hands) really well before bolting it all together. These trucks are already prone to clutch chatter under the best of circumstances, and you'll want every advantage. I finally went with a diaphragm style cover and solved all my chatter woes....
Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Floyd's Servant '55 F100

Thank you guys. I do want to do this right so will follow your advice.

Now, where is the best place to buy the parts?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Elder User

larryb346 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.larryb346 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would replace it all.
However I would try to have someone rebuild the parts you have.
With every thing being done over seas the quality of parts is poor at best.
You should be able to locate a shop that would be able to rebuild your pressure plate and reface your disk at about the same price or cheaper than getting some Chinese part. I would also reface the flywheel. I don't like pulling the trans. more that once so when I put it back together I want it to be finished,and not have to do it again due to some cheap part failure.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
It sounds like your rear seal is getting oil all over the clutch. Unless you fix that, you'll have a repeat performance.

Edit: I guess I'm not clear what you mean by "messed up"
Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
I agree with Ross check for an oil leak too! Oil on a clutch will cause chatter and will kill your new clutch quickly.
Back in the day you could get a clutch repair kit that had everything except the flywheel resurfaced. Get the flywheel checked for cracks and resurfaced at your local machine shop.
All works in progress
Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Floyd's Servant '55 F100

Ross and BJ - I didn't find evidence of oil on the clutch components but there seemed to be three streaks of "grease" on the outside (backside) of the pressure plate. I am unable to tell where the substance originated.

Would a parts store, like NAPA, be a starting point for rebuilding the plate and disc?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
They sell rebuilt pressure plates. If they have a machine shop they should be able to help or at least recommend some one.
All works in progress
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Floyd's Servant '55 F100

Thank you sirs!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2
No sirs just fellow FTErs
All works in progress
Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 AM
Floyd's Servant '55 F100

Thank you FTEs!

Ross, missed your query about "messed Up' referring to the disc. The pressure plate side of the disc was unevenly worn on the asbestos or whatever that stuff is made of. The grooves between the "pads" were nearly filled with what I assume is the scuffed off pad material.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
AFAIK, NAPA no longer carries any of the clutch components for an F-1. A shame because I got two quality rebuilt clutches there.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2
fabieber,
Just got a new SpeedwayMotors catalog #373. I think they have the stuff you need check out page 278.
All works in progress
Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 PM