2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

SCCM module replacement 4 wiper prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCCM module replacement 4 wiper prob

Daughters 2011 Explorer limited had a problem with the wipers staying on on the lowest intermittent speed so they would wipe about every 18-20 seconds-would stop doing this with key off-DOES NOT HAVE Rain sensitive windshield feature-BUT with key on EVERY 18-20 seconds.Narrowed down to Wiper switch or the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM)The new SCCM comes with the clockspring,headlight switch and wiper switch(its a multifunction switch)I removed steering wheel and replaced it. WIPERS WORK AS DESIGNED BUT now headlight switch for high beam is push down, pull to you for ONLY flash to pass WAS pull to you for high beams NO BIGGIE But NOW have no SPEED CONTROLl-had it BEFORE.Pulled steering wheel off my 2012 Explorer XLT and put it on 2011 STILL NO speed control.11 wheel on my 12 and I have speed control SO I know it is NOT a BAD speed control switch DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO ENABLE THE SPEED CONTROL WITHE IDS WHEN REPLACEMENT OF THE SCCM???? I was a Ford service tech from Jan. 1977 to Nov. 2008 PLEASE ANYBODY OUT THERE WITH IDS KNOWLEDGE Thanks Doug in Appomattox Va. PS may put old SCCM back on to see if speed control will work again

Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM
FireMe
Elder User
The SCCM is a programmable module and must have the proper software installed after being replaced. Normally, this programming sequence is initiated while the old module is installed in the vehicle, but it can still be programmed using as-built data. In other words, you need a trip to the dealer for software programming.

Jay
Ford Tech 1992-present

Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Thank you for your response,talked to 8 different Ford Dealer Service Deptments, ALL said NO it does not have to be programed OR ENABLED!! You and I know different! Put original SCCM in and wipers wipe every 18-20 seconds AND speed control NOW works, NOW they all say HUH maybe it DOES need to be programed OR enabled. Will have access to an IDS Tues. the 11th-- Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again Blue

Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Pulled new SCCM and installed old SCCM and pulled info out of old SCCM with IDS and then installed new SCCM,SUCCESS now wipers work as they should and now speed control works fine. Thanks FIREME thought no one would respond to this thread. Its just a matter of time before other 2011 and up Explorer owners will have a problem with their wipers!!!! Blue

Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Lol @ the dealers you called. The programming is specified in the SCCM replacement procedure in the manual, would have thought they would at least read that before giving you an answer. The SCCM comes with basic firmware installed, but has to have the details tweaked for the specific vehicle it is installed in.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
I left Ford Nov. 2008 (32 years in service)and I understand that there is not as much travel to training classes as before-online not hands on!!BUT that being said EVERY 2011 Explorer and up comes with speed control SO why would that not be programed into the SCCM module---Every other function works without pulling data or programing (I also had as built data just in case)out of old SCCM---- BAFFLING don't you think?Ran into this in 09 on a Ford 500 No ac after installing a instrument cluster, car had EATC and it had to be ENABLED BUT if it would have had man ac it did not have to be enabled, after programing keys and doing a perimeter reset you still had to enable it,no it did not pop up you had to look for that,Ford Hotline figured that out,hell at first they acted like something was wrong with new cluster,said to replace it again and let them know if ac worked of course it didn't and then they dug deeper and found they had to tell the PCM it had AC!Told them all along that when I did KOEO that ac clutch always engaged during test of course they came back with Does it have Freon in system!! Now you see why I asked for someone with some IDS knowledge. Thanks again Blue

Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 AM
CycoCycles
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey TruBlu, Im having the EXACT same wiper issue with my 2012 F-150, along with bugs in a few other controls run through the SCCM. I only found out this module was the culprit after taking it to a dealership. Now theyve quoted me $450 to reprogram the thing.

Im hoping you could give a little advice- Could I perform this repair at home? I see that IDS subscriptions are available for purchase online. Would this also require a VCM to program the module, or can you connect directly to a lap top? Any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Without VCM or IDS buying a IDS subscription would be worth less.Doing at home - you have to go to module programing, down load info from old SCCM and then remove it then install new SCCM and upload info, I did mine in a 1/2 hour start to finish BUT I had access to an IDS ( air bag removal can take some time the first time you ever tried removing it). Does the $450 include the new SCCM and labor to install and program?If so what is the break down-Part plus labor (& program cost)& their labor rate. Good Luck!! Blue