1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

& the list gets longer : )

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
& the list gets longer : )

You guys know how this happens.

I bought my 56 - driver - already done.

351c
c4
Jag rear
Flowmaster dual exhaust

new wiring & gages

S10 or mustang 2 front end

4 wheel power disk brakes

new glass, new seals, new seat - its a good truck!

So how did my list of things to do get so long?!

I want to slide the seat back 2 or 3 inches so I don't have to hug the wheel. So that means I need to remove the fuel tank & put it under the truck.

I have a hitch - so to drop the tank out back I have to remove or re-do my hitch. Plus the exhaust runs through there so it will need to be re-routed (gonna do that anyway)

Plus I'm in the middle of installing my actuators to raise & lower the tilt front.

You know - for a driver that is already complete - I've got more work than I can manage!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like a good time to me! Who wants a boring old truck that requires no attention. Maybe that's just me

Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Will pulling the tank out of the cab really gain that much? I looked at mine and only see about an inch to gain, at the most. Granted, mine is a 50, so I am not that familiar with the newer tank size.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Seat backs are angled for comfort. Gas tanks typically fill the void between the seat and cab back. Even if you remove the tank, you'll likely find the seat is already back about as far as it can go without standing the back up straight and being uncomfortable. The steering wheel may not be poking you in the gut, but you'll be forced to hunch over it. Better to modify/swap out the steering column/wheel.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I have noticed over the years that my steering column has been getting longer. I used to fit in there just fine.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I have noticed over the years that my steering column has been getting longer. I used to fit in there just fine.
My problem exactly!

I have a couple complaints about the seat.

1) it is too far forward
2) it sits up too streight
3) no seat belts
4) the frame it sits on is 2x4 using framing nails to hold it together - now I don't plan to crash....but if I do this thing is going to go flying.

Sorry - this is the best pic I have at the moment - but the seat back goes above the rear window.

If I could build a steel frame, get a low back set of buckets or even a bench that is below the window I could move the seat back 2 inches or so & recline it back just a touch more.

Honestly - I'm getting tempted to remove the seat back all together & just build an apolstered panel that looks like a seat back - something I can lean on, but isn't attached to the seat bottom - I could then make it as thin as I want giving me another couple inches.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:46 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
& the list gets longer & longer! I love it!

Last fall my daughter wanted me to pull a float in the homecoming parade. I had to nearly disassemble the entire truck to get it to run cool enough to make the parade. I still managed to boil the gas in the filter - I still need to install the heat shield for that as well!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My chassis guy did a LOT of work to get me the max leg room in my 52.....I'm 6'4.

lower the seat base........tilt it back slightly......better leg room

.hack off the 3 inches of foam padding on the BACK of the head rest area - designed to protect back seat passengers faces in a crash.....and hopefully the top of the seat back can just fit under the rear window frame.......

and BINGO - you've picked up 4-5 inches at the top of the seat back, and THIS is where the comfort is hiding in these things!!!!!

and yes, build a bloody steel frame, and correct grade bolts and anchors, and mount proper seatbelts.....

Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by Oz52F1
My chassis guy did a LOT of work to get me the max leg room in my 52.....I'm 6'4.

lower the seat base........tilt it back slightly......better leg room

.hack off the 3 inches of foam padding on the BACK of the head rest area - designed to protect back seat passengers faces in a crash.....and hopefully the top of the seat back can just fit under the rear window frame.......

and BINGO - you've picked up 4-5 inches at the top of the seat back, and THIS is where the comfort is hiding in these things!!!!!

and yes, build a bloody steel frame, and correct grade bolts and anchors, and mount proper seatbelts.....
Hello Brassmonkey.
There have been several articles here I have seen where blokes have thinned out their seat back to gain more room and they said it was still very comfortable. I guess that would be a good thing to discuss with your upholsterer. At the moment, I think the only reason I would relocate my tank, other than a rusty tank, would be to gain a bit of room to put things out of sight, behind the seat.

Also how about a steering wheel with less dish.

Cheers and good luck with it.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
The column is from a 70s chevy. It has tilt which helps.

I'm starting to like the build my own seat back option.

First - I can skip (for now) moving the tank. I think it is new (along with the rest of the truck).

Second - I think I could do it myself, at least the frame back. I'd have a pro wrap it.

Once I move the exhaust to where I want it I can put the rear bumper back on.

Did I mention the paint or custom bed I'm thinking about?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
How about a quick change to a flat steering wheel? Instant room. I drove Ben's 50 F1 last week (user Ben73058) with this steering wheel and I really liked it.

1940 Ford 15 Inch Steering Wheel - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
That is a good idea. Before I tear it all apart I can at least give that a try.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:25 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Seat backs are angled for comfort. Gas tanks typically fill the void between the seat and cab back. Even if you remove the tank, you'll likely find the seat is already back about as far as it can go without standing the back up straight and being uncomfortable. The steering wheel may not be poking you in the gut, but you'll be forced to hunch over it. Better to modify/swap out the steering column/wheel.
Wayne is right. I came to the same conclusion. I found some nice columns at Flame River. The problem with the smaller wheel is that they increase steering effort by quite a bit.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
I've got rack & pinion power steering.

The seat is too far forward & the seat back sits up too straight for my comfort.

If I get a low back seat I can get a couple inches further back or I can tilt the seat back at a more comfortable angle.

The flat wheel could help some, but since I need to build a frame anyway.....might as well do what I want while I'm in there

Old 02-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Aus56
Elder User
I see in project 55's post, he put in different seats and modified them and gained 3 1/2 inches leg room. I believe he modified the back of the seats but I am not sure, I have not read it all lately.

Quick Reply: & the list gets longer : )