6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wipers won't turn off......sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Billyking06
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im having the EXACT same issue as we speak. I'm not even going to try and deal with the dealership diagnosing the issue. I just called and ordered the wiper control switch. It'll be in today! Thanks for updating on the issue!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:00 PM
chasingpow
New User
2012 beyonce

My 2012 f150 is doing the same thing, the funny thing is it just started happening after the ford dealership had my truck to replace a water pump that broke. They told me they had to wait for a new supplier to make a new pump in accordance with fords specifications. But yet they said there was no recall on the part but yet they had to get a new supplier cause the original wasn't good????? I had to wait 4 weeks for my truck and instead of giving me a demo off the lot they rented me a piece of crap truck that was abused, had an expired sticker, no washer fluid, less then a quarter tank of gas, no snow brush and dirty as heck. Still waiting to hear what Ford is going to do for me to keep me as a buyer.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 AM
mabraham77
New User
Truth be told, I'm RELIEVED to find this thread. I've been experiencing this wiper issue for well over a year in my 2012 F-150. My story isn't unlike those of some of you who have posted to this thread. I took it to the dealer, but they sent me home saying they couldn't replicate the issue. I was just over warranty when I brought it in, so they wouldn't help me further. I've had some other issues as well (ex. my rear window defroster stopped working, and they want me to shell out $900+ to replace the whole rear window), so I tried to engage my dealership's service department to address all of them in some fair way, but they simply don't want to help me. For any of you interested in my misadventures with my service department, you can read this letter I sent them last year.

At this point, I'd like to have my local mechanic replace the wiper control switch. Does anyone have a link or a part number with which I can order one online?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:17 AM
jpk774
New User
I am having the same issue as well. Started just a week ago. I found this link on cleaning the contacts inside the wiper stalk. Will try today and update to see if it works.

Ford F150 Wiper Fix Procedures

Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Hopeless Diamond
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the problem too, could get them to stop eventually if I went full on then back off real hard a few times, probably wiped the contacts by doing that. Once I had to use them again it would start over.

Just went a head and bought a new multi-function switch (wiper stalk), haven't had a problem since. $24, not too bad

Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 PM
mabraham77
New User
Originally Posted by Hopeless Diamond
Had the problem too, could get them to stop eventually if I went full on then back off real hard a few times, probably wiped the contacts by doing that. Once I had to use them again it would start over.

Just went a head and bought a new multi-function switch (wiper stalk), haven't had a problem since. $24, not too bad
Following your lead and ordering this new switch on Amazon which should fit my 2012 F-150:
Robot Check Robot Check

Now we'll see how easy it is to replace. LOL.

jpk774 - Good luck! I looked at those instructions too and thought maybe spending $25 on a new switch would be the path of least resistance. Hope it works out for you!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Hopeless Diamond
Junior User
Originally Posted by mabraham77
Now we'll see how easy it is to replace. LOL.

Real simple, 3 screws holding the bottom column cover on (6(?)mm hex), that comes off and the top cover is held on with tabs. Turn the wheel so you can access the 2 screws holding the stalk on. Old one out, new one in, replace the covers and you're good to go.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Soggydoggy
New User
If I wanted dodge problems I would have bought one.
My 2011 started Monday at 45856 miles. Wipers randomly wiping even though the switch is "off". Only happens sometimes for now. Oddly, it didn't start until I brought it in for the emissions recall 14e03 and to have some keys programmed (which they were not competent enough to do).
Anyone have the part number for the replacement part?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Hopeless Diamond
Junior User
2012 FORD F-350 Super Duty Parts - WWW.HORIZONPARTSGUY.COM

This is for a 2012, not sure if it's the exact same but you can track down from this

Old 04-22-2015, 10:34 AM
mabraham77
New User
Smile

Originally Posted by Hopeless Diamond
Real simple, 3 screws holding the bottom column cover on (6(?)mm hex), that comes off and the top cover is held on with tabs. Turn the wheel so you can access the 2 screws holding the stalk on. Old one out, new one in, replace the covers and you're good to go.
Just wanted to thank you for this brief but relatively accurate set of instructions. I replaced the switch yesterday on my 2012 F-150 XLT and it went smoothly. Also...PROBLEM FIXED. My wipers now stay off.

Not sure if it was covered elsewhere in this thread, but I noticed a white powdery deposit (oxidation?) around the pins on the wiper switch. Have no idea what could've caused this deposit, but I suspect this was why the switch behaved erratically. I've attached 2 photos of what I saw. By the looks of it, the original switch used copper pins...the new one seems to use something like steel or is plated differently. I'm no expert, so I can't be sure. The deposits were also on the socket for these pins as well. I cleaned off the socket carefully with some alcohol pads, then connected the new switch.

I truly hope that this helps other people - having renegade wipers is thoroughly annoying and a significant safety hazard under certain weather conditions. I'm still baffled at how a $40K+ vehicle can't get the wipers right (in my case, other silly things as well). Hopefully, someone from Ford sees threads like this and gets the right people involved to improve the customer experience. Here's hoping...

Thanks again to all who helped.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Mstrghettorigg
New User
I'm having similar issues as well. It seems like it's related to heat because it's usually when it's been sitting in the sun with windows rolled up. I get in and turn on the car and the wipers just starts on its own. I can turn it up and sometimes stop it but when it stops it usually stops with the wiper in the middle or the window or at max range. Never at the resting spot. I've tried turning it on and off few times and some times it stops and other times it's much more stubborn. I just called the dealer and they are saying they've never heard of this issue. I should still be under warranty. I don't want to take it in and pay for rental and have them come back and tell me there is nothing wrong because they can't duplicate the issue. I'm also having issues with transmission that's more rough than it used to be and lower gas mileage after the 30k service. I got new tires. Different brand but same size. Also have another issue when I have the wheels cranked one way and I go over a large speed bump something gets scraped or something and it makes loud creaking sound. (Pre service) I know I'm getting off topic but there are lot of things that's happening and I like to try to address the issues before my warranty expires. Can anyone help?

2012 F150 XLT
~31k miles

Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mstrghettorigg
...I'm also having issues with transmission that's more rough than it used to be and lower gas mileage after the 30k service. I got new tires. Different brand but same size. Also have another issue when I have the wheels cranked one way and I go over a large speed bump something gets scraped or something and it makes loud creaking sound...
Welcome to the forum, Mstrghettorigg. As a next step, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can address these issues. Once you've received a diagnosis, I'll be able to look into ways to help. Come back and tell us how things go!

Crystal

Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Mstrghettorigg
New User
Thanks for the reply Crystal! I'll try taking it in Saturday or Monday and let you know how it goes

Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mstrghettorigg
Thanks for the reply Crystal! I'll try taking it in Saturday or Monday and let you know how it goes
Sounds good, Mstrghettorigg! I'll keep an eye out for your next post.

Crystal

Old 05-29-2015, 03:09 PM
dsgdesigns
New User
I am having the same problem mentioned where my wipers are stuck on the very low setting even though they are turned off. I can turn to any of the settings and it responds accordingly, just won't shut off. I noticed today too that my headlights are staying on even though the sun is out when the controller is set to auto. I am starting to think this is more of a SJB issue than just the wiper controller. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Wipers won't turn off......sometimes!