1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What crazy things have you found in YOUR old truck?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatheadkeith
Got my 49 off the wife of the original owner. He had passed away about 15 years prior to me getting it, and she was sick of letting it sit in the back yard. When removing YEARS of dirt, rust, grease and god knows what else, I found a note that the owner had left in the truck. The note was to his wife, and it said "I miss you, and I cant wait to come home. I love you always and forever." It was signed "Ben" who was the original owner. TALK about GOOSEBUMPS! I immediately got back in my truck, and went to the lady's house. Who knows what she was thinking, because it was almost 11 months later, and I show up on her doorstep looking like a hobo. I showed her the note, and this poor lady lost it! It was a note from her husband he started to write while he was traveling. She was happy to have the note back, and I only asked for a copy. I figured the original was awesome, but it was more hers than it was mine.

Wow, that's pretty cool! I think there's a country song in there somewhere! T

Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 AM
crazy wheel
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by flatheadkeith
Got my 49 off the wife of the original owner. He had passed away about 15 years prior to me getting it, and she was sick of letting it sit in the back yard. When removing YEARS of dirt, rust, grease and god knows what else, I found a note that the owner had left in the truck. The note was to his wife, and it said "I miss you, and I cant wait to come home. I love you always and forever." It was signed "Ben" who was the original owner. TALK about GOOSEBUMPS! I immediately got back in my truck, and went to the lady's house. Who knows what she was thinking, because it was almost 11 months later, and I show up on her doorstep looking like a hobo. I showed her the note, and this poor lady lost it! It was a note from her husband he started to write while he was traveling. She was happy to have the note back, and I only asked for a copy. I figured the original was awesome, but it was more hers than it was mine.
That is neat.
Glad that you gave the note to the lady, I am sure that it means a lot to her.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Rustyblue
Junior User
Cool stories! I found a lizard skull in one of my flat, disintegrated tires, in the cab I found an unopened can of Valvoline oil, an Olympia beer can opener, several blue-chip stamps, a 10 cent Payday candy bar wrapper and a lot of dirt and wasp nests!

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
When I first started pulling my grandfathers truck apart I found a dead rat in the headliner, a rusty ball of what used to be a set of tire chains down inside the lower passenger side cab corner. I also found the items below stashed under the seat and in the glove box.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Indybeer
When I first started pulling my grandfathers truck apart I found a dead rat in the headliner, a rusty ball of what used to be a set of tire chains down inside the lower passenger side cab corner. I also found the items below stashed under the seat and in the glove box.
Why WOULDN'T you have a cow bell in your truck?! Everyone should have one!
(that is is cow bell isn't it?)

Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Not sure about that particular Valvoline oil can, but certain full cans of vintage oil go for a fair amount of money to collectors these days.

Nothing too crazy in this old truck. Had a Kraco DeLuxe CB, 4 track Muntz tape player w/ a few tapes like "Red Foley's Piano Rolls", a Fireman's Courtesy Parking tag, a Sears Lifetime Muffler warranty, and a Clear Lake (WI) camping permit. Party animal for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S
Why WOULDN'T you have a cow bell in your truck?! Everyone should have one!
(that is is cow bell isn't it?)
Yep that is an old cow bell.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I found the lead bullets that caused all of the bullet holes in my cab and windshield! The PO was working in his gold mine.....when he came out some teenagers were shooting up his truck. They told him that they thought it was abandoned there!

I guess you can see why the kids thought that:

Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Almost forgot. When I was stripping the paint from Blue, the '49 F4, I found painted on the cab top...."Muskie 72." There was an arrow pointing forward. I guess the truck was a parade truck during the Muskie campaign.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:18 PM
spaytons
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tyler S
Found this mummified lizard in between the steel panels of the back cab corners. I think he'd been there since the Kennedy administration.
Thats funny right there

Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 PM
spaytons
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really weird, but from the number of mouse turds on top of the engine you think it was a party spot for them. It had been sitting in a field for the past 3 years.