Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my por15 doing this

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:50 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why is my por15 doing this

M painting a brand new gas tank with it and its separating from itself. Im starting to get frustrated because i did a set of brake drums and it started peeling after it dried.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Rob_Robinson87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POR15 is not meant to be used on clean new metal. It will just peel off since it doesn't get any grip to the metal. Use it on rough, rusted metal. I would use something more like an Eastwood product for what you are after, or better yet, have it bed-lined!
Rob

Old 02-03-2014, 05:47 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep POR 15 doesn't hold onto clean things well. My father and I are helping a buddy build a 76 Chevy and we're boxing the frame in. Inside his frame rails (slightly rusty) the POR 15 held great. But on the conduit we ran along the frame (to hold all the wires) the POR 15 just looked like it fish eyed all along it.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great. I doubt im ever buying it again once this can is gone. If i cant paint new parts to prevent from rusting in the first place it isnt much good to me.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordka
Great. I doubt im ever buying it again once this can is gone. If i cant paint new parts to prevent from rusting in the first place it isnt much good to me.
If you look at it that way i guess your better off not having it, the absolute best thing is to sandblast the item first, even if it is new, then paint with por15, done this many of times

Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
POR15 stops and prevents rust. It doesn't prevent it on nice clean metal unless you get it prepped perfectly for it. I think it has something to do with pores. Like rusty metal is more porous than bare clean metal. But that's just my guess

Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
WHAT IS THE BEST SURFACE ON WHICH TO PAINT POR-15?
POR-15 likes rusted surfaces best. Seasoned metal and sandblasted metal are also good. POR-15 does not adhere well to smooth, shiny surfaces, but will adhere well to those surfaces with the proper preparation.

WHAT IS THE 'PROPER PREPARATION'?
We make a product called 'Metal-Ready'. It's a rust remover that leaves a zinc phosphate coating on base metal, the perfect preprimer for POR-15. NOTE: New steel is coated with a protective oil finish at the mill. This finish must be removed before using POR-15 or Metal-Ready. Clean metal first with POR-15 Marine-Clean, then rinse with water and dry.

PREP & READYTM provides the best adhesion for POR-15® on any metal surface, including aluminum and shiny polished metal surfaces. Our simple process gently etches metal, creating an ideal anchor pattern for coatings such as POR-15®, while simultaneously leaving a zinc phosphate coating to insure chemical bonding of paint and steel. Avoid other preps that may leave harmful residues which prevent proper adhesion. After thoroughly degreasing your work piece, apply environmentally safe PREP & READYTM to both neutralize any rust and etch any clean bare metal. This will allow better adhesion of POR-15® or any other paint. PREP & READYTM is not caustic, corrosive, toxic or flammable.

PREP & READYTM before you coat your steel with POR-15 PREP & READYTM is an inexpensive insurance policy that guarantees perfect adhesion of POR-15 to any metallic surface every time.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Ah, all in the prep work. Thank you for posting that BTW. I've been thinking of spraying my '84 frame down with POR 15 and I honestly probably wouldn't have read all the tiny crap on the can lol

Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
M painting a brand new gas tank with it and its separating from itself. Im starting to get frustrated because i did a set of brake drums and it started peeling after it dried.
How did you prep the parts before using the POR-15?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Monteg0
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
WHAT IS THE BEST SURFACE ON WHICH TO PAINT POR-15?
POR-15 likes rusted surfaces best. Seasoned metal and sandblasted metal are also good. POR-15 does not adhere well to smooth, shiny surfaces, but will adhere well to those surfaces with the proper preparation.

WHAT IS THE 'PROPER PREPARATION'?
We make a product called 'Metal-Ready'. It's a rust remover that leaves a zinc phosphate coating on base metal, the perfect preprimer for POR-15. NOTE: New steel is coated with a protective oil finish at the mill. This finish must be removed before using POR-15 or Metal-Ready. Clean metal first with POR-15 Marine-Clean, then rinse with water and dry.

PREP & READYTM provides the best adhesion for POR-15® on any metal surface, including aluminum and shiny polished metal surfaces. Our simple process gently etches metal, creating an ideal anchor pattern for coatings such as POR-15®, while simultaneously leaving a zinc phosphate coating to insure chemical bonding of paint and steel. Avoid other preps that may leave harmful residues which prevent proper adhesion. After thoroughly degreasing your work piece, apply environmentally safe PREP & READYTM to both neutralize any rust and etch any clean bare metal. This will allow better adhesion of POR-15® or any other paint. PREP & READYTM is not caustic, corrosive, toxic or flammable.

PREP & READYTM before you coat your steel with POR-15 PREP & READYTM is an inexpensive insurance policy that guarantees perfect adhesion of POR-15 to any metallic surface every time.
Boy that sure sounds like the directions on the side of the can, but who reads those anyway? lol...

Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
I use POR15 kits on marine fuel tanks. It is awesome stuff but you HAVE to follow the directions to the "T". If you get the entire kit, it is 2 or 3 cans depending on the material you are applying it to.
It is also important to use the chemical etch to prep the surface...this is after you rinse it with water and let it dry and then wipe it down with acetone and let it dry. Using a heat gun after the final step helps alot
It lasts a very long time

It is a little pricey, time consuming to use but, if applied properly you will not regret it.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
i did a set of brake drums and it started peeling after it dried.
Curious... Why are you painting brake drums? I guess this was something I never thought about before. Do people do this a lot?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 PM
broke vet
Senior User
I painted mine with Krylon so they wouldn't rust up as badly. I got the idea after taking both rear drums off in pieces with an air hammer.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am going to be blunt. YOU CANT READ.

it says right in the instructions,,,,POR-15 does not adhere well to smooth, shiny surfaces.

a NEW gas tank is new and shiny last I checked. And also coated with an oil.

Brake drums are the same way, coated with a coating to keep them from rusting while sitting on the shelf

Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by broke vet
I painted mine with Krylon so they wouldn't rust up as badly. I got the idea after taking both rear drums off in pieces with an air hammer.
Hmm... I may look into painting mine with the Hi-Temp flat black I use to paint my exhaust tip with every now and again. I guess if it doesn't stick stick, I wouldn't really be out anything.

Quick Reply: Why is my por15 doing this