Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

2012 F250

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:43 PM
aussie_f350
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mate, any pics of the conversion? any tips? are you happy with the quality? did they use a rhd box or a chain type set up?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:02 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope to get some more pics here. Haven't seen the truck for a couple of months as its at the mechanics. It is going for registration here on Wednesday.

Overall I'm not happy with the conversion - for a couple of reasons. 80% of it is better than any other conversion I have seen, and then there is 20% of it that has been rushed/done poorly and the company in the US has offered no support. I'm working with Rod@Alcorn (who I think has built a few you guys transmissions - good bloke, no BS) here to fix all those shortcomings now, which has added a bunch of expense and time to it that I hadn't hoped for.

I've had the truck next to a couple of trucks that were converted at other places (VDC in Campbellfield, Vic, and one from Performax in QLD). Many things about it are great, the place I used's fabricated firewall looks much better/stronger, the way they did the steering links (they used a RHD postal jeep steering box, linking up to the original steering box), and all the electrical work in particular looks well done. The conversions done by the Australian places have coolant lines and electrics going everywhere and they look like they would be a real pain to work on if you ever have to lift the cab to work on the engine. The conversion job for almost everything on mine looks as good, or better than factory.

But getting down to what isn't great.
The A/C wasn't working, the heater and other Climate Control parts were. I believe the wiring to activate the compressor was messed up.
The truck was leaking power steering fluid like a sieve. It appears that the hydraulic lines they used (pressed and crimped - they look good quality) can't take the pressure of when the steering is at the steering stops. Steering was very heavy as well.
Truck was supposed to be ADR compliant - it was missing a bunch of the required lights, side markers, orange rear indicators etc.
The way they mounted the steering stabilizer made the stabilizer mount rub against the sway bar.
They also didn't adjust the steering alignment for RHD (truck pulls left).

In the end, I should have gotten the truck converted here in Aus, so if any issues did come up I could have had some recourse, and they could have engineered the truck and had it roadworthy for me.

They guy I did get to engineer it for me was great, so if there are any other Victorians in need of an engineer: Home

Old 04-20-2015, 04:38 AM
aussie_f350
Senior User

That's no good mate. I'm sure Rod will sort it, he seems a good guy. Built the box for my old truck and will more than likely do my next one.
Adr's are hard, I wonder if the nz conversions meet them?

Old 04-20-2015, 04:45 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Adrian, nothing is ever as easy as what it should have been. It sounds like you've got the right guy on the case now to get it all sorted. Then hopefully you'll be enjoying the truck for years to come and the extra hassles that you've had to deal with will be a dim & distant memory.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Yeah, I figured it is all relative, poor bloke with his truck next to mine at Alcorn's had his 6.7 blow up on him (I assume it dropped an exhaust valve, which the 2011's are known to do...). He spent close to $250k setting his truck up for heavy equipment mechanics, and the engine lunched itself with only 40 thousand k's on it.
Originally Posted by aussie_f350
That's no good mate. I'm sure Rod will sort it, he seems a good guy. Built the box for my old truck and will more than likely do my next one.
Adr's are hard, I wonder if the nz conversions meet them?
That I'm not sure about - I am guessing they would have to. The people I spoke to at the NZ conversion company when I was shopping around seemed like crooks though, but they may have ended up being better than the shop I ended up going with. Either way, if I did it again, I'd get an Australian based company to do the work, and from what I have heard, VDC continue to look after their customers once they own their vehicle so would be my first choice.

Fortunately as mine is a personal import, it really only has to meet the lighting ADR's, so it is not too bad.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 AM
aussie_f350
Senior User

Seen a 2014 vdc conversion the other day, was nice. Do you know how much they where for personal import?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
2012 F250

I didn't ask them about doing my truck. I had contacted them previously about doing a personal import and they weren't interested. I know it reduces the costs significantly over a regular import though.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
So I got to drive the truck for the first time today properly and drove it to work. Rod@Alcorn Automotive has had it for a couple of months, but has done a really great job and has fixed all the f ups from the place that converted the truck, I couldn't recommend him highly enough to either work on these trucks, or for his trans (he personally drives a 680rwhp on fuel compound 7.3).

Overall I am now really happy with the truck, I need to get the caster adjusted (as the truck still "pulls left" a bit), but it will be good to get some k's on the truck.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
So she's engineered, rego'd and legal now?

If so - excellent stuff

Old 05-19-2015, 11:03 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
2012 F250

Finally took a couple of photos (crappy ones with my phone outside work) which will hopefully show the steering/interior - and you will see I completely copied your idea for rear lights, Simon.

I had them fit the steering stabilizer (which required the drop in the anti roll bar), which is Carli Hi-Mount, based off a Bilstein 7100, but obviously mounted differently in this case.

Attached Images     
Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
All looks very neat and tidy. Nice high mounted steering stabilizer. The reversing lights look as thought they could be stock.
No problem with copying a good idea. As the Italian's say 'imitation is the highest flattery'!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:19 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
I'm really impressed with the light output of the reversing lights (2 x 6x10w Cree LED's). The stock lights made the reversing camera barely usable at night, but these will nearly blind you. Probably an annoyance if reversing a caravan however.

I think finding a slimline LED light bar to mount in the grille will be a forthcoming purchase.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM
aussie_f350
Senior User

Looks awesome mate! I'm in love with the insides of the new ones!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:35 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

they are a very nice looking truck. u must be relieved all is up to scratch now.
whats sticking out on the left side between the cab and the bed ??

Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
they are a very nice looking truck. u must be relieved all is up to scratch now.
whats sticking out on the left side between the cab and the bed ??
Looks like an attachment point / tie down for the camper shell. Check out Adrian's profile pic.

Quick Reply: 2012 F250