Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 XL build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some new paint first. The drivers side clear is peeling off. The hood has no clear left as I found out when I tried to shine it up and my rag turned reef blue

Old 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, first, running non ethanol fuel may make it run "better" but your idea of non ethanol fuel and fuel system cleaner is misguided. The ethanol in the fuel is actually a great fuel system cleaner. While the trucks stock tune is designed for non ethanol fuel, using 93 octane without adding some ignition timing won't do much for you.
Next, go to the junkyard and find an explorer or f150 with 410s and limited slip. If you find an f150, take the whole rear minus the brakes (save you some money possibly) because you can reuse your existing brakes if they are good.
When you flush your coolant system, put in the cleaner and drive it a few days. Then if it's not freezing in fl, just put water in the system to wash out the cleaner you had in there. After a few weeks or whenever you decide, drain the water and replace with coolant IF the water comes out clean. If not then more flush and run it another week. Do this until water is fairly clean. If it's not clean, then you still have contaminates in the system and water is cheaper than coolant.
Wheels.....
Gotta get them painted. It will make the truck look so much better.
As far as missing clear coat, use 600+ grit to blend clear into the paint where it's flamed off, then maroon scotchbrite pad or 1500grit to prep the non cleared areas, and get some rattle can clear. It's better than nothing. Give it a whirl.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
What kind of cleaner can you run through the coolant system. If I find an explorer with 410s what all should I take will the fronts gears fit? Any way picked up a set if Goodyear wranglers authority 31x10.50 r15. Getting them mounted and alignment on Monday.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Only the rear gears and diff from an explorer will work. Sorry for not saying that earlier.

I hope you are going to prep and paint the rims before getting new tires mounted.

If you go to parts store or while you're at Walmart waiting, you'll find all kinds of coolant system flush. The directions say to use it for 20 min or something, but you can run it in there all day. I had flush in mine for a week before I got to drain it. But the key is to not put new coolant in until it's clean. So I run straight water for a week and drain and refill with water a few times. Then I put new coolant in.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Nealcrenshaw
Senior User
Looking forward to the progress!!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
I bought the flush and fill kit but pretty sure it just uses hose water. It ll be a fairly slow build but I'll be waiting for paint and gears and lift for next year. Till then small things bought most of the stuff for my fishing pole holder. Might pick up some thing called bed bugs that hold things in place in the bed. Need new headlights but can't decide. Next year should be a rough country ez rider 4 inch lift kit.also bought oil,filter,air filter,coolant and engine degreaser along with multiple cleaners for the interior and goo gone to remove the purple tint. Debating on paint matching the whole front or just the headlight bezels since the grill is chrome. Kind of like the new f150s. Any tips on a slight cigarette smell? Used laundry detergent and soap on the seats but didn't work.hopefully the oxy interiors leaner will so once it's clean I can scotch guard it

Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I had a dead fish incident in my 94 mustang on the 3 hottest days of summer once....
Fabreeze was still a new product so I risked it, and it worked.
Give it a whirl. Spray everything. Wipe it off the plastic if there's too much.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Sadly already tried febreeze. My truck was a work truck so it's deep in there lol. Going to give a good scrub then use my wet a dry vac. Might also try baking soda as of right now I get out smelling like a mechanic that smokes I've wiped everything down once but I'll hit again tmw with simple green since there's a rubber floor

Old 02-09-2014, 12:31 AM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would use a liberal application of baking soda, and leave it in there for a couple of days. if that doesn't do it, you could always remove the cloth covers from the seats and give them a hand wash in the bathtub. takes a bit of time, care and patience to re-and-re them but it is quite do-able (at least it was on my 89 ... i can't imagine much has changed except that the integrated head-rests will make the replacement just a bit harder).

Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
MonroeHandyMan
Senior User
Been there... Best way to eliminate odors is to get your hands on a Ozone Generator. I own one. If you were local, I would lend you mine...You can check your local tool rental shop. They typically rent for $25.00 for the day. Leave it running in your truck for a few hours. They are about the size of a phone book and plug into a 110 outlet. It chemically breaks the air particles down and will work! Nothing else like it. They are used in high end detail shops, crime scenes, hospitals and fire damaged homes. I originally bought mine as I use to restore cars as a hobby and could not get rid of the dreaded mouse **** smell some of these cars had. The ozone generator removes it completely in one shot. Now I use it in my customers homes to remove mold, mildew and any musty odors in basements. It has never failed me. Also, if your truck had a heavy smoker in it, your main source of the problem is likely to be in your headliner as smoke rises, another often overlooked place that traps odors is the seat belts. Hope this helps...

Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Inline6xl
Junior User
I'll look into that.oddly enough it looks like it had no headliner and someone did a good job making one out of thermal insulation I'm just going to take that down wipe it down and apply some fabric once I figure out what I want to use. I bought a bissel spotbot today for my couch since my sons pretty messy figured I'd give it a try on the seat when I can. I was surprised what it pulled out of the couch. The interior of the truck has a mechanic smell that gets on my hands. Already took off the steering wheel cover and wiped everything down with Clorox wipes. Probably gonna try a magic eraser too since it usually cleans anything. Getting the tires mounted and alignment in the morning. More then likely ill be told tie rod ends need replaced. It's on my list of to dos. Debating on getting my dual exhaust tmw or just lightening style with flowmaster super 44. My goal is to get everything in running order so next year I can knock out the lift and gears.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Inline6xl
Junior User
Tires are mounted and alignment done. Dual exhaust with flowmaster 40s. But sadly I m pretty sure the tranny was slipping on the drive home tonight. Any tips on that would be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
The clutch was slipping.... I hope the trans wasn't.
I like the zoom hp-48. Awesome clutch. Had it in my turbo nitrous mustang. Held up real well. I used it in a guys 92 truck I converted from a 300-6 to a 351.
You can ask around for what others prefer, read and do your research. Then ask before you buy, and we will criticize your choice... As usual.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Inline6xl
Junior User
So if the I have the clutch all the way released and I'm driving 5th gear and give it gas and it slips that's the clutch ?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 AM
mrrish79
Senior User
I had an old car that did that and replaced the clutch and it fixed it. If you want new headlight bezels and don't want to spend a fortune I got mine from partsgeek.com for cheap and they look good, not OEM but hey its not a show truck. Only wish I got the white turn signal light not the orange I think the all white looks slick. Nice tires where you get them from?

Quick Reply: 1996 XL build thread