351W EFI Qualifier Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:41 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351W EFI Qualifier Intake

anyone know specs on these? looking for a budget intake manifold setup for my 351w torquer build. i think anything would be better than my factory 5.8 intakes...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-351W-EFI-1986-93-Qualifier-Intake-Manifold-Base-Only-Satin-/291060576548?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c48ff124&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-5-0L-EFI-1986-93-Qualifier-Upper-Plenum-Intake-Manifold-Only-Satin-/121257373650?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3b80afd2&vxp=mtr

Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
That's an even cheaper version of the Professional Products Typhoon which is a copy of the Edelbrock Performer. The exterior finishing on this thing will be rough but it's a good step up from the the stock intake in performance.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
That's an even cheaper version of the Professional Products Typhoon which is a copy of the Edelbrock Performer. The exterior finishing on this thing will be rough but it's a good step up from the the stock intake in performance.

Someone has a performance products 351w lower manifold and edelbrock performer 5.0 upper for sale. Could I use that combo?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Yes.. all these parts are interchangable.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
I'm curious.
Are there any lower "performance" lower intake manifolds that will bolt on to the stock upper Truck EFI-plenum?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Cobra-Kai
I'm curious.
Are there any lower "performance" lower intake manifolds that will bolt on to the stock upper Truck EFI-plenum?
No.. and I'm not sure why you would want to do that anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:13 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
Haha. Has anyone dynoed to note gains from these intakes? I am trying to decide between these intakes and a cam kit... I will get both before the build is done, but I found a good deal on the intakes together. The cam will always be the same price.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 AM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
No.. and I'm not sure why you would want to do that anyway.
Just curiosity

These aftermarket upper plenums are usually for just 1 single throttle body and not for the dual throttle body.
I have a BBK 61mm dual-body on my upper plenum and like to keep it, so I thought there might be a better flowing lower plenum

But I don't know if it was you, who said: "The Stock Truck intake is almost oversized for the V8"
Referring to the Edelbrock Performer Truck Intake.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Just curiosity

These aftermarket upper plenums are usually for just 1 single throttle body and not for the dual throttle body.
Yes.. and that's because it's easier to plumb a single TB to an airbox or MAF meter.

I have a BBK 61mm dual-body on my upper plenum and like to keep it, so I thought there might be a better flowing lower plenum
The upper and lower portions of this intake are equally restrictive so your aftermarket TB isn't providing any benefit. In fact the stock throttlebody isn't restrictive until the motor is producing over 350hp. The only aftermarket dual TB intake available for these motors is the Edelbrock Performer Truck, it uses the same lower as the other Performer EFI intakes but the upper has super long runners so it's really only good for a stock motor because those super long runners become a bottleneck at higher rpms. This only applies to the 5.8 truck motor too, the factory intake on the 5.0 truck motor is a much better design.. these two only look similar at a glance they are significantly different and even these two are not directly interchangable.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGageinator
Haha. Has anyone dynoed to note gains from these intakes? I am trying to decide between these intakes and a cam kit... I will get both before the build is done, but I found a good deal on the intakes together. The cam will always be the same price.
Unless you're planning on better breathing heads and a better exhaust then an intake alone won't make a huge difference.

Heads may not be essential for a "torquer" build depending on how you define torquer. If you're never going to spin the engine past 4,000 the stock intake is probably fine. Better exhaust always helps.

What all is your engine build going to include and how are you going to use it?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc
Unless you're planning on better breathing heads and a better exhaust then an intake alone won't make a huge difference.

Heads may not be essential for a "torquer" build depending on how you define torquer. If you're never going to spin the engine past 4,000 the stock intake is probably fine. Better exhaust always helps.

What all is your engine build going to include and how are you going to use it?
Hey thanks for the reply!

Engine specs

351w efi
Bore 4.030
Gt40p heads
9.83:1 compression
COMP CAMS K35-255-5
Headers
under drive pulleys
4:10 gears in the gear

It's going to be a tow truck only.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
At that compression ratio with cast iron heads and that cam you will need premium fuel. Even then it may knock under load. You'd be a lot safer ~9:1.

With that engine combo either of the intakes mentioned above would be a help above 3,500 rpm. Especially if you plan to do some bowl work and clean up the runners on the heads.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
I will run premium. I always do. I might just use factory intakes because I won't be above 3500 rpm often... a lot of money for power I won't see.

Lots of engines run 10:1 and such and don't knock? What else can I do to avoid that?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 AM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Aluminum heads.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
To take that a step further, tight piston to head clearance will help. Putting the engine in a lightweight vehicle with standard transmission and high rear gear ratio would eliminate pinging. For a heavy truck pulling a load you need to err on the side of caution.

Quick Reply: 351W EFI Qualifier Intake