Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebirth of an F-250

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:15 PM
GMChambers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebirth of an F-250

Greetings
I am calling out to the "F" experts for advice. Have a 1995 F-250 XLT that has not been driven since about 2007. My Dad bought it new and drove it until he went in a nursing home due to PTSD from Vietnam. The truck has been in our barn and aside from being really dirty it is in great condition with about 125,000 miles. Here is my dilemma... fuel tank. When it was parked I am not sure how much fuel it had in it. I had it transported from its tomb in GA to our home here in AL. I was underneath it today pounding on the 38 gallon tank and it sounds empty. So here is my question... should I drop the tank and have the it cleaned or leave the tank intact and clean the filter and have a professional fuel system cleaner done to it? It is not running at this time because I have been taking one step at a time with the awakening. Any feedback on the fuel tank issue? Fuel lines? Fuel pump? Trust me I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the Forum!

The fuel tank may have some sludge and junk in the bottom of it. You don't have to clean it, but I would drop the tank and clean it out. As for the fuel lines, look at them for cracking and rust. If you see a spot that you think has potential to leak in the near future, replace it. Replace all the filters as well along with the oil, coolant/antifreeze, gas, etc. The fuel pump wouldn't be a bad idea to change while the tank is out.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
I'd drop the tank and clean it if it was my truck. I'd also put injector cleaner in it for the first few tanks.
Do you know if the fuel pump works? If it does, I wouldn't bother replacing it. If you have any doubts that it doesn't work, replace it. It sucks having to do work twice so unless you know for sure, just be on the safe side.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Monteg0
Senior User
Another thing I would do is take each of the spark plugs out and pour some marvel mystery oil in each of the cylinders and let it sit for a couple days before you try and start it.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Monteg0
Senior User
Sorry to hear about your dad BTW. My dad is a Vietnam vet as well; they weren't treated well when they came home which just made a bad thing worse...

Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Marvel mystery oil is awesome stuff. Great piece of advice. And sorry to hear about both of your fathers. You'll have to tell them thanks for their service for me.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Monteg0
Senior User
Originally Posted by 88LX5.0H
Marvel mystery oil is awesome stuff. Great piece of advice. And sorry to hear about both of your fathers. You'll have to tell them thanks for their service for me.
It really is.

My father isn't too bad, but he didn't actually start admitting he was there until about 2 years ago. I knew he was there, (my aunts told me) but I figured if he didn't want to talk about it, that was his prerogative.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
A bunch of my dads older friends were Vietnam vets and I learned early on to not ask them much about it. Vietnam is a very touchy subject and I feel sorry for anyone that had to go there.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM
GMChambers
New User
Hey everyone thanks for the great advice and tips on Marvel oil. I will do all of that. I was under the truck and everything looks nice and clean. The gas tank sounds virtually empty when you pound on it. I was looking at what is all involved with dropping the tank. Looks relatively straightforward but does anyone know what type of tool I need to disconnect the various fuel fittings? It looks like they are all the same (fuel filter, lines going into tank) My Haynes manual mentions a "spring lock coupling tool" but not sure. Also once I have the tank down what should I do to clean it? Also the tank is the 38 gallon model and apparently has 2 parts because on the dash there is a "front/back" switch... does this make cleaning any more difficult?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Monteg0
Senior User
If you have the switch then you have two tanks actually. Its quite a bit easier to pull the bed off if you have a helper or two. Gas tank straps can be a bi@ch especially if the bolts are rusted. Sometimes a tank will leak after you put it back up because there is a pinhole leak in the tank under the straps.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:59 PM
broke vet
Senior User
The tool you need is a 3/8" fuel line release tool -- or "spring lock coupling tool". Lisle makes a couple and they are available from other vendors as well. A little aerosol Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster inside the coupling will help it come apart very easily. It'll also help when you remove the mounting bolts that hold the straps in place.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
I pull the bed off when I can. I've only done one fuel pump by dropping the tank, and it was in an 87. It got very aggravating actually.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
I dropped the rear tank out of a dentside and it wasn't too bad on rust being in Texas. It took me about an hour to drop but the worst part was the corner falling on my face. I snaked a ratchet strap across it a couple times but the corner of the tank fell and hit me in the nose. Bad day but I'm lucky I didn't break my nose. Dropping the tank is a pain but can be done without removing the bed.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Monteg0
Senior User
Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
I dropped the rear tank out of a dentside and it wasn't too bad on rust being in Texas. It took me about an hour to drop but the worst part was the corner falling on my face. I snaked a ratchet strap across it a couple times but the corner of the tank fell and hit me in the nose. Bad day but I'm lucky I didn't break my nose. Dropping the tank is a pain but can be done without removing the bed.
Yeah, I'm not arguing it cant be done, but its really a lot easier, plus you can't break your nose!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:10 PM
SaddleBronc
Junior User
Originally Posted by Monteg0
...Its quite a bit easier to pull the bed off...
I agree. I've also found it easier to pull the bed than drop the tank with a single tank - and you've got 2 to hassle with. I didn't even have help - but I did have a tractor .

Who knows? You might even want to drive around with no bed for a while, until all the other gremlins - lines, squeaks, rear suspension, wiring - under that bed are ironed out.

You definitely need to do a good cleanout job on those tanks...bad fuel can cause a long series of issues if it gets into the bloodstream.

Good luck with your project!

Quick Reply: Rebirth of an F-250