Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about repainting my hood with spray in bedliner...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking about repainting my hood with spray in bedliner...

So i have the clearcoat peel thing going on with my 2000... and some really nasty cancer starting under the paint...

Thinking about just taking the cancer spot down smooth... scuffing up the whole hood and spraying it with black... but then i want to do my logo (see avatar) in bright grabber green...
I already have decals on my rear windows... about a foot tall and kinda ghosted out (black print logo on transparency.. stuck to inside of windows with window tint... both rear doors and the rear slider. I want to make my truck kind of take on the appearance of an ambulance... for trucks...

Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I was expecting an old trashed out heap but you have a 2000 so bed liner seems a bit harsh to me. I would go with some SEM satin black spray paint.

First spray and area where you want the logo with the green paint. Then put your die cut sticker on it and apint the hood black. Then you can peel it off and have it showing in green.

Either way it's your truck so do it your way

Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
I thought about doing just paint... but i kinda want that rough look the bed liner has.
The rest of the paint on the truck is ok... except the faded clear coat on top sides of my dually fenders. Might go ahead and rhino line them too while im at it.

I have seen a few trucks ... ford, dodge, and chebby that have had the hood rhino lined and to me it looks pretty good... plus the armoring effect when im out on the trail brushing under trees... Motorbug does see offroad use.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would sand it all down pretty good, take off the cancer. Then shoot it with two coats of epoxy primer to keep any more cancer out. If you choose you can use the black epoxy primer and then either leave it or spray some bedliner over it. Bedliner by it self will not keep the cancer out.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Ketchacar22
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is "where is the rust showing from?"
Is it around the hood hem flange, mainly in the front?
Take a look under the front edge and see if the corrosion is coming from the the flange area.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Rust...

Clear coat problems...

Firecracker burns on my hood

So... epoxy paint/prime it then rhino line.
Got it!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Ketchacar22
Junior User
Well, easy to see that is not the concern.
Anything you do, once I say the area that is down to sheet metal, plus the fenders, I have a lot of questions, but none of the answers will aid you.
Any where there is clearcoat failure, which is most of the top surfaces, will require taking down to bare metal and an acid etch primer, a sealer and a new base/clear application to make it right.
The "bed liner" resolution will only be a short term, maybe two years or so answer.
Let me put it this way--"can you make a Band-Aid stick to a dusty or dirty finger?".
Those area's are lifting from the sheet metal, and that means going back down to square one, starting over from bare metal, with the correct materials and process.
Shoot me-I am only the messenger with 40+ years of dealing with such, for most of the vehicle manufacturers around the world before I retired.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 AM
SilverT
New User
Originally Posted by Ketchacar22
Well, easy to see that is not the concern.
Anything you do, once I say the area that is down to sheet metal, plus the fenders, I have a lot of questions, but none of the answers will aid you.
Any where there is clearcoat failure, which is most of the top surfaces, will require taking down to bare metal and an acid etch primer, a sealer and a new base/clear application to make it right.
The "bed liner" resolution will only be a short term, maybe two years or so answer.
Let me put it this way--"can you make a Band-Aid stick to a dusty or dirty finger?".
Those area's are lifting from the sheet metal, and that means going back down to square one, starting over from bare metal, with the correct materials and process.
Shoot me-I am only the messenger with 40+ years of dealing with such, for most of the vehicle manufacturers around the world before I retired.
You are absolutely right. I wonder what his final decision was. I'm a huge fan of bedliner anything (lol), but trying to half-**** a hood in that condition is setting himself up for bad or worse. Not to mention it would look pretty ugly. No offense, it's just the truth and I hope he did what was really best.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
hpwoee
Senior User
speaking of bedliner... i saw a brand new Raptor getting completely coated with line-x when i was getting my bed done. I saw it a few days later on the highway and it actually looks pretty cool. it was standard liner not the premium though...