1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New member, old truck. :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I'll add my welcome!

Great looking truck. Probably either a cab swap as Ross suggested, or a front clip swap.

Easiest way to tell is by the numbers on the frame stamp. What is often called the VIN, though actual VINs weren't used until 1954.

Could be somebody with a manure spreader wanted a monkey face.

What's the paper work give as the ID? And what are the numbers stamped in the frame on the passenger side just ahead of the axle? Does your truck have a plate on the glove box door?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Welcome! That's interesting about the 51/52 rear window, makes me suspect a cab swap. Is the instrument panel 48-50 or 51-52? It looks to be in better shape than I'd expect in Indiana, did you find it locally?
The instrument panel is 48-50. I'll try to remember to get a pic of the interior tomorrow. I got it from Kentucky. The guy I purchased it from picked it up in Missouri back in September.

The number on the glove box door matches the stamp on the frame. 127725. I will get a picture of that as well.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks like a great truck! Welcome!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:15 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMallory
Hello all,

I recently acquired a 48 F-1. I've been lurking these forum the last few weeks and learning a lot. I thought I'd say hi and show off a couple pics of the truck. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the next few weeks as I get around to making some repairs/adjustments to the truck.

Here's my "new" ride:

That looks great! If you wanted to you could sand the current paint then just spray a flat clearcoat over it to preserve the look. As others have said, that looks like a great truck to start with...not many like that left. Keep us posted!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:28 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The instrument panel is 48-50. I'll try to remember to get a pic of the interior tomorrow. I got it from Kentucky. The guy I purchased it from picked it up in Missouri back in September.

The number on the glove box door matches the stamp on the frame. 127725. I will get a picture of that as well.
That's not a complete serial#, It is the production number that should be preceded by 88RC, 87HC, 98RC or 97HC

I thought I read somewhere that they went to the bigger back window on some of the very late 50 cabs?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
That's not a complete serial#, It is the production number that should be preceded by 88RC, 87HC, 98RC or 97HC

I thought I read somewhere that they went to the bigger back window on some of the very late 50 cabs?
Yeah, but if those production numbers are matching, that would be enough proof for me that he's got a matching cab (regardless of the 88RC, etc. which I assume also matches). About once every 6-12 months, somebody finds one of these trucks. Ford had replacement cab panels way back when. And naturally they used the 51-52 style rear cab panels (with the big window) when a truck had to be fixed (like after an accident). About a year ago, a guy literally posted an ebay ad showing some NOS cab repair panels that were saved from a dealership a LONG time ago.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by harleymsn

Yeah, it's 88RC. I had the title handy when I posted, and for some reason the 88RC is omitted, and it only lists the production sequence.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Yeah, but if those production numbers are matching, that would be enough proof for me that he's got a matching cab (regardless of the 88RC, etc. which I assume also matches). About once every 6-12 months, somebody finds one of these trucks. Ford had replacement cab panels way back when. And naturally they used the 51-52 style rear cab panels (with the big window) when a truck had to be fixed (like after an accident). About a year ago, a guy literally posted an ebay ad showing some NOS cab repair panels that were saved from a dealership a LONG time ago.
Doc, the ebay ad for the nos cab you mention was a complete cab which came in 3 pieces. It wasn't repair panels exactly, although they could be used as such. It seems like a lot of work to put one together in the shop with the rudimentary equipment body shops had available to them at the time, vs. the machines that Ford had to do the job. But I can see where shipping would be easier, though.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:43 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Id be tempted to keep the patina and work on the rest. That is a very cool truck the way it sits. Welcome to the family.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:24 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Welcome to FTE. You'll never stop having questions, you'll run out of money before you'll run out of questions. Ask me how I know that.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by dennisb56
Welcome to FTE. You'll never stop having questions, you'll run out of money before you'll run out of questions. Ask me how I know that.
Ha! I think I've already got an idea. I'm LMC truck's newest best friend. My wife keeps asking me how much I spent, and I keep on changing the subject.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Ha! I think I've already got an idea. I'm LMC truck's newest best friend. My wife keeps asking me how much I spent, and I keep on changing the subject.
There are a lot of good places to buy parts. LMC is just one. Here are a few more.

Home - Classic Haulers F-1 Parts and their sister company Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts

Old Ford Parts at C&G Ford Parts. Tens of thousands in reproduction.C&G Ford Parts

Online Catalog

Dennis Carpenter Ford Car, F-100 Pickup Truck, 8N, 9N Tractor and Cushman Scooter Restoration Parts

The History of the 1948-79 Ford Pickup

Restoring American History | Mustang Parts | Camaro Parts | Chevelle Parts | Ford Truck Parts | T-Bird Parts | Firebird Parts

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Way Cool!! I think I hate you. A mostly original running driving Monkey Face.
It just don't get any better. I would upgrade to power disk front brakes. Tweak
up the power just a bit on the flattie with headers and like that. Paint the fenders flat
black and drive her till I died.

I luv it.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:09 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello and another welcome from California!

That looks like a great find! It appears to be in better shape than most that are showing up these days.

Keep the pics coming!!

Dan

Old 02-02-2014, 02:39 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
There are a lot of good places to buy parts. LMC is just one. Here are a few more.
Hey, thanks for those. I knew about a couple of them, but not all. They will definitely be usefule.

Quick Reply: New member, old truck. :)