Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

FEBRUARY 2014 Tennessee Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FEBRUARY 2014 Tennessee Chat Thread

~I wonder if I get extra points for beating Mac to it?

Whatever....

HERE WE GO!!!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good morning Tennessee...are you interested in any football today?!? Enjoy...

Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You earn points with me, Wolf!

Busy Monday! And RAINY. Hope everyone has a great day (even if the Seahawks won )

Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Afternoon Mac, Dutch, Theo and Gene

-The Great

Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Hey Bud (speaking of - hoists a brew)

I hope I helped you out in the Indiana Chap - maybe I should make a nuisance of myself in there more often!

WE HAVE ICE ALL OVER EVERTHANG!
It's kinda scary, because quite a few years back there was an ice storm out this way that knocked out power for days - and I heard from a lady who lives farther out towards the landing that they lost power for long enough for things to get downright chilly in their house...

This last summer the power company had a crew out here with a rig that was a long truck mounted boom with a big circular saw (hydraulicly powered) on the end of it, chopping down limbs from trees that threatened the power lines. I hope they did a good job, because my end of the power lines is notorious for power failures.

Not for the first time I wish my house had a fireplace, and I even launched some queries back in the summer as to who in this area can build them. The returns I got from area contractors pointed to them backing off because of the fire risk and liability to the contractors for same...

This is another one of those "GET OFF THE GRID" issues, that I have been looking at over the years. A home with the ability to heat itself using natural and renewable resources is high on my list of "MUST HAVES"

Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 AM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Hey Dutch, I responded to you in the IN thread. Follow me to some of the slower boards here, we can stir up some trouble!!!

-The Great

Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Wolf, have you thought about a small wood burning stove? Usually cheaper and easier to install. Some of them even burn things other than wood----pellets, corn cobs, etc.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Another busy Wednesday. Hope everyone is avoiding the big storms and is staying safe.

Have a great day!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I've been thinking real hard about that for years - and even began stockpiling wood this past summer when one of my neighbors had a tree trimmed way back.

BUT GET THIS!

Now I'm going to have more wood than ever, since yesterday 2/3'ds of an old maple tree out front snapped off (about forty foot of it, and over a foot thick at the base where it broke) from the weight of ice on it.

I was looking out of my library window when it happened, and at first it looked like it was coming right at me, but it angled away and missed the house entirely.

My utility trailer project wasn't so lucky - and I still don't know how bad it got slammed. Thing must weigh well over 2K pounds, but it was only a branch that smacked the trailer and it snapped off. Most of the thing was supported by its own branches...

Nobody got hurt, no significant damage except the Ranger bed on the trailer, and think of all that fine hardwood once I get it cut up!

Out in the back I noticed today that I have half of a fifty foot Pecan tree snapped off and so half the tree is pointing up and the other half is leaning against it like a giant whisk broom! My best bet there I expect is to wait for the weather to clear and then drop the whole shebang, because now it isn't so tall that it can endanger the house by felling it.

I also had some limbs down in the street that I had to clear - between that and the maple I about froze my toes off today, and the present outlook is for several more days of unseasonal cold and above average precipitation (which caused the entire mess to begin with)

MemphisWeather.Net (MWN) - Memphis and Mid-South weather provided by Cirrus Weather Solutions

I checked the calendar though, and midwinters day is friday. If we get through this part, with luck it will begin to warm back up. But the weather trend for the next few days is winds out of the northwest and that is never good at any time of year.

~Dutch

Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Afternoon Dutch, Mac, Theo and Gene

-The Great

Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Speaking of Theo... I havne't seen him on here in a while... anybody heard from him?

-The Great

Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Not since he settled into his new homestead. That's interesting - I wonder if he is just settling in or is off on a new project somewhere...

Theo is often one to 'Follow his own road', and when he wants to pop up and share his adventures with us he does.

But he is also a very private individual, so it isn't unusual to not hear anything for a long while.

That is also a thing I have accepted about the man - if he shares something with me that is not for everyone to know; I don't share such things.

But you're right, I have heard nothing in a long while either.

Presumably all is well. If any man I know can take care of himself and his business it is he

Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Afternoon Mac, Theo, Dutch and Gene

-The Great

Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
I wasn't looking for inside info, just was curious about him. LIke you said he was getting settled back in, right about the time you were having computer trouble and haven't seen him on since. Hope all is well with him

-The Great

Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
It may be that he experienced computer or landline telephone failure, and may even be seeing the same unseasonal weather we have been in other areas.

He can survive it - I know that he can. Theo is not an ordinary guy.

There is no one I would rather have with me in a crisis

Quick Reply: FEBRUARY 2014 Tennessee Chat Thread