6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Advise for future of my 2007 6.0!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:04 AM
mahd776
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise for future of my 2007 6.0!!!

Posted the below a couple days ago concerning a out of the blue problem with my 2007 6.0. Took it to the local Ford dealer day before yesterday and at first could find nothing wrong but let it sit out in the cold overnight and it acted up this morning. The dealer called and said both batteries needed replaced. One was original equipment and one was only 3 years old which they replaced under warranty. Oddly enough the batteries were given a green rating in November and December when I had it in for a oil change and later fuel filters. The expensive part was the FICM which was failing the test they were giving it every time and they thought low voltage had killed it. Noticed last fall the engine once in a while did not crank as fast as it usually did and once when starting and using the electric windows the window would slow down until started. I really have just pretty much driven this truck and not paid a lot of attention to the whys and how's of the engine systems but would like to learn and as I am retired have the time. Where do I start? I see that a Scan gauge is recommended a lot. The repair cost me $1250.11 today and I have to wonder if I knew more about the workings and warnings that I may not have noticed due to ignorance I might have caught this before it got so expensive. Thanks and any advise is appreciated!

Have a 2007 Super Duty with the 6.0 engine. Purchased new and has been well cared for with 69000 miles on it. Have had almost zero problems until a few weeks ago. Out of the blue one morning it did not start as well as usual. Idle was rough and engine would surge at low speeds gaining and then dropping RPM while at idle and low speed driving. After shutting the engine of it was hard to start. Would fire run rough and die. Also the throttle was not responsive at very low speeds and then would take off rather abruptly. Changed fuel filters which were right at the point they should be changed. Only code they found was one incident of low fuel pressure which they said could have been from the filters needing changed and the cold temps. This seemed to help but still did not feel quite right but was starting more like it should and running decent. That being said it was a few days after the filters were changed it acted up a bit with the abrupt throttle and rough idle. Then after going into a store came back out and it was more its old self and it started and run the way it should. Today I went into town and as I stopped at a stop sign engine was idling rough and the throttle was abrupt again. Run my errand into the store and was hard to start when I returned to the truck. Took about 4 tries and I had to give it throttle before it would start. Engine would fire but lose RPM and die.At highway speeds truck takes off and runs fine with good acceleration and feels normal. Still feels a bit sluggish at lower RPM though. Also this engine when started is supposed to kick into a higher idle after 2 minutes of sitting running at idle but has not been doing that since the first incident a few weeks ago. No warning lights either. Ideas as to what is going on please!!!!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
It could be ur ICP sensor. It could also be ur fuel pump. When u changed fuel filters, was water drained from hfcm? Have u done ur blue spring upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-01-2014, 08:53 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
In most cases you can prevent damage if you can monitor your vitals of your truck. It would be a good investment to buy a scangauge 2 or something equivalent to monitor your vitals.