Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

February 2014 BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Looks like we're getting nothing but cold. They say we may get one to three inches but, looking at the radar, I don't think so.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I was in Charleston, WV today. They must have gotten about 6 inches yesterday (Thursday). I had a job in Grayson when I left there, so I didn't actually head back home till about 8:30. I ran into the snow about halfway between Grayson and Vanceburg. And when I ran into it, I mean it! Hard snow, the road was covered within a mile. I was able to run about 45 all the way home except when I came up on someone driving 25 or so. I have to admit, that 99 work truck really goes in the snow. A limited slip differential that works, and some weight along with good tires make a huge difference. It is much better than what my 97 was.

There's a good 4 inches on the ground here.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Since the little incident at the Mineral Labs a week ago; I'm back to square 1.

Since I didn't get to before, i'm going tomorrow at 12:30 to take my CDL Permit test.

After I find out if I pass/fail/whatever, I'll move on to the next step, OTJ training.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Since the little incident at the Mineral Labs a week ago; I'm back to square 1.

Since I didn't get to before, i'm going tomorrow at 12:30 to take my CDL Permit test.

After I find out if I pass/fail/whatever, I'll move on to the next step, OTJ training.
Who will you be working for?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wes is that for the School Bus driver?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Who will you be working for?
Originally Posted by rywegh
Wes is that for the School Bus driver?
Yes John, it's for the Magoffin Co. School Board.

I took my general knowledge test today. Didn't get to study last night or today and walked in and got 35/50 question right, based solely off what I ACTUALLY know on a daily basis.

Not too shabby I suppose. Going to study my *** of this week and retake it next Tuesday!

The instructor said I miss "8 q's too many to pass". So I'm allowed to miss 7/50 and move on to the other portions of the testing.

Every journey starts with but a simple step I guess...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, since things were tight here this winter, as a late christmas and birthday present, my parents are buying me 2 new tires (I REALLY need them).

I have to say, I have the best mother and father anyone could ask for. Personally, I'd rather be gifted with something I need or will ACTUALLY use, than to get useless crap that wastes my space, and their money.

All in all, not a bad day!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:16 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Got 2 new tires on Michelle now. From what I've driven on them, the new MasterCraft Cooper tires are a dream...

Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I really like Cooper tires.They moved all of their operations over seas a while back. But, they are now moving back to the United States!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

I really like Cooper tires.They moved all of their operations over seas a while back. But, they are now moving back to the United States!
They recently expanded the hose factory in Mt. Sterling. Or are in the process.

KY extended a tax incentive program, so Cooper is moving some operations from Indiana to KY.

Most everyone I know that works there says it's a pretty good place to work.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Some of you know, others don't, but I had to have my shop buddy euthanized last June. She had been hanging around for 14 years. I'll be picking up another on 3-9-14. The new nameless female puppy will be 8 weeks old.

I'm probably getting too old for this.

Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
You ain't getting too old for pets!!! They are wonderful companions. And get her used to the kids too as quick as possible. She will be a blessing for both you and the kids that spend time up there! Congratulations!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

You ain't getting too old for pets!!! They are wonderful companions. And get her used to the kids too as quick as possible. She will be a blessing for both you and the kids that spend time up there! Congratulations!
Not too old for a pet, too old for a puppy. At least I can train it from day one without built-in bad habits.

The last two GSDs were phenomenal around the kids. I always get a female because they're a little less aggressive which makes them easier to socialize to large numbers of people. The last one, Maxine, was here for almost 14 years and only growled at one person. It was when she had lost most of her hearing and this person (adult) snuck up behind her and tried to steal her peanut butter kong away from her. All she did was growl, no snap.

However, none of my dogs have had free reign. In the off-season they are always with me, or at home. During summer camp they have to stay in the maintenance area. Some kids are just afraid of big dogs no matter how well behaved the dog is.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:41 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I know what you mean about big dogs scaring kids. And when they get some age on them they can be less tolerant. Many years ago, we had a mixed breed collie. As he got older, he started growling at adults more when they came around, even snapped at a couple folks. Kids however could attack him and he would tolerate it like you wouldn't believe. Babies would crawl up to him, grab a handful of hair and pull themselves up! He never bothered them.

We (my parents) had a purebred Border Collie one time that was a great dog. She had a litter of pups about 2 days old. I went into the barn to see them and she was real excited. I went and picked one up and she was just all jumpy and such. My wife reached over and touched the puppy, and she went nuts. I had a tough time getting my wife out of there without her getting attacked! 2 weeks later we went up there, and she was fine with her petting the pups.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

We (my parents) had a purebred Border Collie one time that was a great dog. She had a litter of pups about 2 days old. I went into the barn to see them and she was real excited. I went and picked one up and she was just all jumpy and such. My wife reached over and touched the puppy, and she went nuts. I had a tough time getting my wife out of there without her getting attacked! 2 weeks later we went up there, and she was fine with her petting the pups.
Because your wife and the BC were both female mammals she saw your wife as a threat to the puppy. There are some older female dogs that become so possessive they will never warm up to their owners new girlfriends.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Because your wife and the BC were both female mammals she saw your wife as a threat to the puppy. There are some older female dogs that become so possessive they will never warm up to their owners new girlfriends.
I would have never put the 2 together that they are both female and that was why she responded that way. I can see that thought. I will say, it was an intense moment though when she went after my wife. 2 weeks later we were back up there and my wife would not touch a puppy until I put it in her lap. The dog was fine with it that day. Interesting thing about that dog, I believe she actually understood English. At the time, my folks farm was being over-run with cats. Some tame, but most were wild. On day my Mom was outside and Peggy (the dog) was bothering her wanting some attention. My Mom was trying to do some yard work and just said Peggy, why don't you go kill a cat. 5 minutes later she brought her a dead cat!

Quick Reply: February 2014 BS Thread