VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

2014 VETERANS NETWORK (VETNET) at FTE

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:41 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Absolutely OUTSTANDING Video!!!

~ a World War Two Veteran tells it like it is:

Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Tonight one of my best friends in Tennessee is passing on.

He served in Viet Nam, went on to become a career Ag Pilot, and for something to do in his retirement he also went to work in a local gunshop in Brighton Tn.

He was an avid photographer and outdoorsman, has hiked the Appalachian Trail several times, never smoked and I don't think he ever drank.

A wonderful friend, and an excellent individual. He often offered me rides into town over the last two years or so while I was scratching my head over which set of wheels to focus on putting back on the road. At 73, he worried about ME not getting to a doc at the Veterans Admin Healthcare facilities in and around Memphis.

He told me many amazing stories about airplanes and what kinds of silly stuff went wrong when he was flying them. I doubt he ever missed a local airshow, and used to drop by airports just to shuck and jaw with other pilots.

Donald Dey - I'm going to miss him. But we are not here forever, and he lived a truly wonderful life, doing things not many can say they have done.

His troubles are over, and I'm sure the creator will welcome him with open arms.

Good bye, Poppa Don - you were awesome!

~I'll be along one of these days and we can talk again then.

I am kinda blue about it, but it's part of life.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Sorry to hear about the passing of a friend and fellow veteran...both he and you are not and never will be alone.

Hang in there and cherish the memories you have, and remember they can never be taken away.

A heart felt salute to him and all the fallen. SALUTE

Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Some of you may be familiar with my beliefs as regards Edgar Cayce and what he had to say about the eternal nature of our souls - and the temporary nature of our physical bodies.

Many of you may have a problem with the notion of reincarnation....

But Don was one of those who seemed so familiar to me that it was as if we had met before.

I can't go into that without risk of the thread being locked for discussing religion...

But Richard Bach (in one of his books) noted that:
"Your friends are known to you in the first five minutes better than your acquaintances could know you in a thousand years."

Don is a friend.

Absolutely - I recognized him at once

May you be so fortunate as to find those people in your life
AMEN

Have you ever experienced that, and wondered why?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Retired =

No audits
No Chiefs
No musters
No inspections
No duty section
No maintenance meetings

~and positively NO DUMB SONS OF BITCHES!

Why does it seem so boring????

Old 07-04-2014, 11:14 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Tonight one of my best friends in Tennessee is passing on.

He served in Viet Nam, went on to become a career Ag Pilot, and for something to do in his retirement he also went to work in a local gunshop in Brighton Tn.

He was an avid photographer and outdoorsman, has hiked the Appalachian Trail several times, never smoked and I don't think he ever drank.

A wonderful friend, and an excellent individual. He often offered me rides into town over the last two years or so while I was scratching my head over which set of wheels to focus on putting back on the road. At 73, he worried about ME not getting to a doc at the Veterans Admin Healthcare facilities in and around Memphis.

He told me many amazing stories about airplanes and what kinds of silly stuff went wrong when he was flying them. I doubt he ever missed a local airshow, and used to drop by airports just to shuck and jaw with other pilots.

Donald Dey - I'm going to miss him. But we are not here forever, and he lived a truly wonderful life, doing things not many can say they have done.

His troubles are over, and I'm sure the creator will welcome him with open arms.

Good bye, Poppa Don - you were awesome!

~I'll be along one of these days and we can talk again then.

I am kinda blue about it, but it's part of life.
Sorry about the passing of your friend and fellow veteran, they sure don't make '`em like that anymore. One thing is for sure, he is going to a Better place, I'm sure he will be waiting for you at the gate!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I still have what he told me.

He also taught his grandson how to shoot right.

PLANT yourself solidly
Breathe out slow, squeeze, and make yourself a part of the rifle

LOOK at what you intend to hit, and nothing else - having gauged the wind by the grasses in between

If it's someone else's rifle you need to zero it

CLEAN IT

Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Naval Aviation Corrosion Control manuals are available for free download in PDF format at this link:
NAVAIR CORROSION SERIES

~ for those studying for rating exams, and also to keep for your home shop!!!

~Wolfie

Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
The infamous "PEACETIME MILITARY" is here, God help all of us.

I was just talking to a young retired marine at the Dollar Store, his wife needs to make senior chief or she is going to be pushed out at less than twenty.

~ as in "Break Glass only in Time of War"

Those who are not good at ladder climbing or office holding are being mustered out as fast as they can be got rid of, and we have seen this before haven't we?

Those who are good "Military YUPPIES" will be holding the fort.

This all frankly has me nervous as hell.

It is NOT GOOD for defence.

I sincerely hope some of them are good at hiding their "EAGLE" or "WOLF" out of sight.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me in the '90's when "Slick *****" took the reins from George HW Bush, it was F'ed up the way they went about it, as you know the USMC was never designed to have a large active duty force (in comparison to the other service), anyway, when we had shipped out to Desert Storm naturally they activated a lot of reservists to cover stateside operations, well all the reservists contracts state (or did then) duration +, so, after the conflict was over, we come home and you would think they would release the reserves, no they didn't. At the time, the Clinton regime was conducting a "bottom up" review, and the Corps had way too many active duty Marines, a lot of which were reserves, and they went to gutting the USMC, had a good friend from King' s Mtn. N.C., he was a Gunnery Sgt. Had over 19 years of service, was an old DI, and they forced him out. Completely disgusting, while I didn't have no where close to his time in service, the gov't made it next to impossible to stay in.....sorry for the long winded post, but......

Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I hear it, I've got it, I've seen it -

And who DAS FIK is going to fill their shoes? a WALMART shopper who wonders what would look good in their office on their desk, without being politically suicidal...

It seems to me we have a lot more to be worried with.

Will the next war be fought by intelligence agencies? Or by the media?
Both are notoriously incorrect.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
BY THE WAY:

CONGRATS to TSEEKINS for ten years of retirement from the Coast Guard.

BRAVO ZULU!!!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Ya know what - one of these days I want to get around to a lot of FTE meet and greets just to "Face 2 Face" with military members, so that we know who eachother are.

I think it would be a good thing to do.

~ You can't fake that, you have an ID or you don't

Besides, a lot of you still have to wonder what kind of a crazy FIKKER I am

Better that you know I am not nutz.

POSTULATE: Those who no longer serve are still as good at what they know.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
What's old is new again.

While drawdowns are obviously necessary to shape forces after wartime buildups, the way they are done doesn't always retain the most competent, combat-experienced troops.

Better that you know I am not nutz.
If the Pacific Pivot and tensions with China reactivate Subic, we could take hops there and you could give us naive innocents a proper Navy tour of the wholesome local tourist spots.

What could possibly go wrong?

I ran into this page while looking for info on hammocks (my back is trashed and I sleep better in a hammock than a bed) and found it interesting:

RECOLLECTIONS OF AN AFTER BATTERY RAT

Parent directory with lots more history:

Index of /substuff

Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by monckywrench
What's old is new again.

If the Pacific Pivot and tensions with China reactivate Subic, we could take hops there and you could give us naive innocents a proper Navy tour of the holesome local tourist spots.

What could possibly go wrong?
~ Fixed it for ya...

Quick Reply: 2014 VETERANS NETWORK (VETNET) at FTE