Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

A thread for your Chevy lovers turned Ford stories

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 AM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A thread for your Chevy lovers turned Ford stories

I thought we should have a thread to share stories about Chevy or Dodge lovers turned Ford lovers. I personal have converted 3 friends from Chevy lovers to Ford die hards. And I must say wasn't hard. I have owned lots of vehicles over the years. Most of them Fords. I now only own Fords. All my family drives Fords.

Story 1. Brother-in law die hard Chevy guy. Two brand new Chevys. Had nothing but problems. Seen mine and my families Fords continue to be reliable. Bought a 2011 F-150 and fell head over heals. 2.5" strut spacers in the front, bags in the back and some kelly safari tires. He has put the truck through hell and back and couldn't be more impressed. He sings the praises now. Everyone of his friends bought Chevys.

Story 2. Brother in-law's (Story 1) friend bought a Chevy. I tell him we will see in a year from now who has the least problems. Let the games begin. We all go to go 4x4in. The f-150 goes first and destroys the mud pit like a boss, the truck is covered head to toe. My Excursion makes it through. Chevy gets it's front tires wet and the whole front end blows out bad, parts everywhere. GM does not warranty it and says its abuse WTF what about the commercials. GM trucks are not made for driving in the mud. Really can we have that in writing please. Only the front tires had mud on them. Insurance covers it thank god. Well I don't want to rant so i'll keep it short. After a slew of issues and seeing his best friend beat his f-150 like a red headed step child, he announced that he will be trading in his Chevy for a Ford F-150!

Story 3. My other brother in-law, Camaros, Chevy trucks, Caddys. Long on going Mustang vs Chevy battle. $1500.00 5.0 destroys his $25,000.00 Camaro. After getting bitten by the Diesel bug (my excursion) he took a long hard look at the options. He later became a steel worker and learned that real men drive Fords. Serious they all roll 450's. He is now the proud owner of a 2008 Harley Davidson edition F-350 6.4L. After some tunning he runs low 13's on bald tires. He now sees Ford engineering is superior and knows its built Ford tough.

I don't want this thread to be a bash session but a place for stories of positive transitions, people seeing the light and making the switch. Mods if this was the wrong place to start this thread please move it to a thread you deem appropriate.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 AM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"FORD"

Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I have owned them all & had good & bad luck with them all. I wouldn't trade my 99 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 V10 for any other. As I wouldn't trade my 95 F150 4x4 either.
So there is good & bad in them all.
Right now after bad luck with a few GMs recently there are non in my stable & I'm not in any hurry to find one either.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I sold almost all My GM products after they took a bail out . I still own my 53 Pontiac . Pontiac is no longer around , so I keep it ( would any way ) . All Ford for years now , Mostly ...

Old 02-02-2014, 05:48 PM
radmacks
Senior User
I think the bailout was a big one for a lot of people.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by radmacks
I agree .I will not Ever own a post bail out GM product . For that matter , I will not own a Dodge , Fiat , product either .

Old 02-02-2014, 07:41 PM
RickF350
Senior User
Originally Posted by radmacks
+1
Then they insulted us more by selling GM stock at a 10ish Billion dollar loss.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 AM
4.9L
Postmaster
I use to be a huge Chevy fan, I own a 65 impala SS 327/Powerglide and a 70 Impala 454/th400 car, got both cars from my grandfather.. so ill be keeping them for awhile, but besides that all ive been driving for the last few yrs is Fords...

Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I agree .I will not Ever own a post bail out GM product . For that matter , I will not own a Dodge , Fiat , product either .
After many attempts, Fiat (AKA CNH Corp. AKA New Holland) made a good dual direction tractor. I am quite impressed with it. But, I will never buy a Fiat pickup.

When I was 13, I bought a '72 K2500. It was a nice truck. I was then given my '66 Highboy (in sig). After a series of events, I ended up with a '93 Cummins, a '71 Highboy, and a '72 K20. The body litteraly was falling off the Dodge, so it went down the road. Money got tight and I had to thin the herd. The only vehicles that were worth any thing was the GMC and the '71 Highboy. The GMC went, the ford stayed. It was a good decision and I have been pro-Ford ever since.

I keep telling myself I'm not a die hard, that would just be narrow minded - but the only vehicles that have showed up in the past few years have been Fords.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
I was driveing 3 Vetts into work on alternating days,sold them & bought a used 96 Ford pickup. My last 10 or so daily drivers were Pontiacs.
Curently have a 08 G6 & 09 Vibe .When it becomes time to replace the dailys Im undecided as of now.Might be Fords.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Not sure where to start

A pattern of loyalty would be instilled in you by your family and friends. My Grandfather was a Studebaker man, then turned to Chevrolet. Dad followed along and already had bought GM vehicles because of my mothers influence coming from her father. My first official vehicle was a 68 Chevelle SS I bought at age 14, it needed body work and just so happens I worked in a body shop in my spare time. Then I swapped for a 70 Chevelle SS roller that was painted Black with a brush. Snatched the Big Block out of the 68 and dumped it into the 70. All in all I have owned 5 70 SS Chevelle's but that is another story.

Third purchase was ordered, my first brand new spanking car... 1976 Monte Carlo. The next year I bought a 1977 K2500 and officially became a 2 vehicle owner. With 3500 miles on the clock and since GM never offered Big Blocks in the 3/4 ton at that time, one of my spare 454 engines made it into the truck. Dad just went Really? One overhaul later I put 275,000 miles on the 77 and the 76 Monte gave way to a 1984 Monte SS.

Cruising along the road of life and not to sound like a novel I bought a 1989 1/2 ton that was a left over at my dealer once the 77 became a wood hauler for my cousin. POS.... Not to be discouraged with GM IFS, I ordered to my taste a 1992 3/4 ton truck... Second POS. 3 IFS ( Independent Front Suspension for you non GM guys) later the truck wallered it self useless in the field as I was working on the combine. Stuck about a mile from home, cold, wet and sitting in a piece of crap that wouldn't move I had the neighbor drag it with the Stieger up to the road and sold it... Haha good riddance!

In between the truck episode I did purchase a 2000 Bonneville, nice car. I found a real truck, 1995 XLT F350 7.3L Diesel. Great truck if it didn't quit on you or the trans go out. Sold off the 95 and bought my 6.0L diesel, best move I ever made and still drive. I also have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, built in Detroit baby!

I have driven all makes and models, 77 Highboy at work that was flawless. Then we bought a F350 Twin I beam 1980 for 9K, what a turd. That truck always kept you on your guard with ignition modules or a rear axle that would slide out when you made a turn with a loaded trailer. I kept spare underwear behind the seat at all times and never wanted anything to do with Ford brands.

I have more but.... don't want to bore you...

Old 11-28-2014, 02:03 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I owned a Chevy once, in the shop three times for major front end work before 60k, needless to say, it was sold before the warranty was up and you won't see me on a Chevy dealer lot anytime soon, if ever

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 AM
SchwansManDan
New User
My first Ford was a 1983 Ranger that I bought 30+ years ago. I really liked that little truck until it broke a piston ring at about 45,000 miles and I traded it for a Dodge D150.

The Dodge was nice for a few years until I had kids. Couldn't shift the floor-mounted stick into 4th gear with a baby seat strapped to the bench.

Traded the Dodge for an extended cab GMC 4x4 & strapped the kid in the rear seat. I drove the hell out of that truck for the next 11 years (and 270,000 miles) & then traded it for another GMC extended cab 4x4.

Before the Ranger, I drove a 1972 Datsun pickup & a 1973 Chevelle. In between then & now, there have also been a few other vehicles ... a 1974 Catalina (awesome land barge, sold it for what I paid for it), a 455 c.i. TransAm, a Grand Prix (still have it), a Bonneville, a Dodge Aries (), and a Pontiac Vibe (loved the gas mileage & versatility of the Vibe, but some a**hole ran a red light & hit it, doing more damage than it was worth).

Also owned a 1993 Crown Vic that we absolutely loved. That 4.6 was a dog coming off of a stoplight, but it screamed once you got it rolling and we still managed 27-28 MPG on the highway. It seemed to be invisible to police radar, because we drove that thing with the speedometer pinned and never got a ticket.

And then there's the Explorer Sport that we picked up for the Mrs. She is still driving it.

Today, I traded the second GMC (with 212,000 miles on the clock ... still running well, but rusting out & the seats are no longer comfortable) for an F-150 XLT SuperCrew. Comfy seats, excellent ride & handling, and that damn 5.0 Coyote/6-speed auto makes the *** end of the truck all kinds of fun when I mash the loud pedal.

Will let you know how it works out.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:08 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
i have run them all. had at least 15 60's and 70's chevys over the years.
get them cheap, put a few bucks into them, sell for a profit.
did the same with a bunch of 50's and 60's pontiacs too.
best truck i ever owned? a 66 W-300 dodge. that thing was a tank, and would go anywhere any time you asked it to. started life as a 6 cylinder, ended life with a 64
273/275 hp wedge engine. D-70 front axle, D-80 rear axle. top speed of 54 mph screaming 8,000 rpm.
only reason for getting rid of it was the cab rotting off the truck. the engine went into an irrigation pump back in 84 and is still running.
on 81 i bought a 79 F-350 4X4. 86 i bought a new F250. the engine blew 18 months later 45 miles from home. i rolled into a ford dealership. they offered me 11,000 for it on trade. i paid 9 for it.
traded it for the 88 diesel.

after that the fords just started showing up at prices i could not turn down.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
for a conversion story:
my son in law has been a die hard dodge freak. he will not ride in it if it was not made by chrysler corp.

he has owned 5 chrysler corp vehicles over the past 24 years.
back in july he called asking if i was home, saying he would be over in a few minutes, he had something he wanted me to see.
it was a 2005 F-350 diesel he just picked up.
he got tired of throwing money away at the dodge pickup, and traded it in on the ford because he realized everyone else was running fords and they almost never broke down.
after driving the ford, he sold my daughters durango and got her an explorer.
he now will not ride in a chrysler corp vehicle.

Quick Reply: A thread for your Chevy lovers turned Ford stories