Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2003, 03:39 PM
New User

Clarabelle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 1992 Ranger Starter and Starter Solenoid

Husband is out of country and now I have to fix the truck. Battery is pretty new, replaced solenoid next to battery this morning. Truck still won't start, just clicking away. Decided I needed to replace the starter, put the truck on jacks and went to the starter. At the starter solenoid there is a red cable attached, and a "loose" red wire, with a connector on the end. It would appear the connector just needs to be reconnected to the solenoid. But it won't "connect". Am I missing something? Should it not connect to the prong on the solenoid? Should I just replace the starter, and forget about the wire? Any help is appreciated. I do have Chiltons for our truck, but it doesn't show a picture of the prong on the starter solenoid.

Send help quick.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2003, 04:22 PM
New User

1992 Ranger Starter and Starter Solenoid

OOPS, forgot: 81000 miles, manual transmission, 3.0
Old 06-28-2003, 05:42 PM
Post Fiend

MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.

Moved from 87-96 full size truck/van to Ranger forum, user does not have e-mail on.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:25 PM
New User

Thanks Justin
Old 07-01-2003, 09:09 PM
New User

CelticMace is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up 1992 Ranger Starter and Starter Solenoid

Yes, Clarabelle ...

The wire does clip on and should be easy to do so. I replaced my starter and then connected that wire with a special clamp that insured it does not come off the starter again. That little wire is a pain in the ahem! lol

I wont have to fix that again and my Ranger has probably a lot more miles on it than yours ... I have over 100,000 miles on it and the original starter was still working, until I had the problems I had and replaced it.

I wanted to my ranger!!!

CelticMace
Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM
New User

Victoria Kelly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

I have a 92 2.3ltr ranger it wont stay running . I change the solenoid on the firewall it starts but wont stay running ... what did I do wrong?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
Husband is out of country and now I have to fix the truck. Battery is pretty new, replaced solenoid next to battery this morning. Truck still won't start, just clicking away. Decided I needed to replace the starter, put the truck on jacks and went to the starter. At the starter solenoid there is a red cable attached, and a "loose" red wire, with a connector on the end. It would appear the connector just needs to be reconnected to the solenoid. But it won't "connect". Am I missing something? Should it not connect to the prong on the solenoid? Should I just replace the starter, and forget about the wire? Any help is appreciated. I do have Chiltons for our truck, but it doesn't show a picture of the prong on the starter solenoid.

Send help quick.
Thanks
Could be wrong but IIRC Ford connected the small red power distribution wire to the starter relay not the starter solenoid.

The starter relay is the part that you replaced. The relay connects voltage to the solenoid.

What you are describing sounds like a weak battery or a bad connection.

Loosen the negative cable on the battery just enough so you can wiggle it back & forth a couple of times & retighten it. Does it start now?

If it still wont start do the same with the positive cable.

After doing the above with my 87 Ranger it still wouldn't start.

By simply jumping from the negative on the battery to the engine block I found that the negative battery cable was shot.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria Kelly View Post
I have a 92 2.3ltr ranger it wont stay running . I change the solenoid on the firewall it starts but wont stay running ... what did I do wrong?
If it runs until you release the key from the start position you probably have a bad ignition switch. When you turn the key one click do the idiot lights come on?

What you replaced was the starter RELAY, why did you replace it??
Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM