1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Should I put the body on and go or fix dents and such first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Should I put the body on and go or fix dents and such first?

Well I'm about to the point where I can take the chassis out and drive it around.
So I got to thinking, should I slap the body (no bed) on as is and drive it around a while. Or should I be more patient and get the body fixed up and painted before I put it all together?

I've been at this for years. I had to stop for about 5 or 6 due to life. Waiting for the money to come to repair the fender and clean and paint the truck will be a while.
I can easily paint the firewall (well not sea sprite green though), the inner fenders, grill and maybe a couple of other things. Once I were to get all the wiring down and rubber in, would it be worth it to put the body back on as is?
I would need to verify the cab corners are all good. The rear are fine, the front it's a little harder to tell and I haven't dug into it yet.

Here she is now:

Here she was before I started removing the body. I don't know if you can tell the drivers side fender has a big dent at the very top:

I sure would appreciate your pros/cons and thoughts. I kind of like the idea of taking my mother in law out for a drive with it's current patina (It was her dads truck)

Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Joe,
I suggest spending the time and doing the bodywork now. At least to the point of finishing the underside of things and being able to trip out all the edges, seems, backsides of the cab, front of the bed, underside of the hood, etc. That way you could always do minor dent work once its together and be able to spray some color on without too much hassle.

If you slap the body back on now and get it where you can drive it you run the risk of having "way too much" fun driving it and not wanting to pull things back apart for bodywork.

If mom-in-law is particularly aged then it might not be a bad idea to slap it together enough to give the old gal a ride before she leaves this world.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard call. if you're going to paint it pretty, I'd do that first. Personally I like the patina it has. It's only original once. Me, I'd put it together as is. But that's just me. I hate taking care of a nice paint job.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:58 PM
jhaas63
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put the body on and DRIVE it! That patina/style looks great as is. It took 60 years to look like that (dont mess with it!). You can drive it as is and not worry about getting dinged or a shopping cart hitting it. You have the rest of your life to do all the bodywork and shiny paint.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Joe, I don't have any advice for. It has to be totally your decision....

But I always thought your truck was yellow. It looks yellow in your profile pic....

OK, here is some advice.... you have worked long and hard at so far. You would love to drive it. Can you get the stuff fixed that is real bad and put the cab on and get it road worthy? A lot of the stuff you can finish piece meal while you are able to drive it.... interior, headliner, heater, minor fender work, bed, etc.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Patience Grasshopper !!!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
If mom-in-law is particularly aged then it might not be a bad idea to slap it together enough to give the old gal a ride before she leaves this world.

Good luck
Bobby
Well she is 75 and in pretty good health. But the pace I'm going......

Originally Posted by abe
Joe, I don't have any advice for. It has to be totally your decision....

But I always thought your truck was yellow. It looks yellow in your profile pic....

OK, here is some advice.... you have worked long and hard at so far. You would love to drive it. Can you get the stuff fixed that is real bad and put the cab on and get it road worthy? A lot of the stuff you can finish piece meal while you are able to drive it.... interior, headliner, heater, minor fender work, bed, etc.
It does look yellow in the avatar. I hadn't noticed that before.

You guys have given me some good advice to start with. Bobby makes some great points about getting some stuff done that would help down the road. I think it's about finding a balance. I'm looking to drive the truck so i'm not going to have a super nice paint job. I really want to drive my truck. (I never have) But I also don't want to cause myself more trouble than necessary when I want to get it painted.....
Keep the thoughts coming. I expected to hear both sides. I know there is no set way, but I want to make sure the route I do take is done well.

Here is the full size picture from the avatar:

Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by firstrider
Patience Grasshopper !!!
Yeah I know. But when you see the engine run and the wheels turning on jack stands it gets tough....
Even if I decide to just throw the body on asap, I'm still a year or two out.
My son just turned 15... a year from now my insurance will go through the roof. Money will just evaporate even faster than normal then.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Yeah I know. But when you see the engine run and the wheels turning on jack stands it gets tough....
Even if I decide to just throw the body on asap, I'm still a year or two out.
My son just turned 15... a year from now my insurance will go through the roof. Money will just evaporate even faster than normal then.
I know how it is & how you feel . Have been working on my two "52 F-1 's for yrs.The 1ST-RIDE is so close to finish I can smell it . The stock truck is yrs. away .

Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
[quote=abe;14003753]
quote]

I always thought it was yellow too. Trick of the light

Here's another thought for the go ahead and put it together arguement.....

Since you have never driven the truck, and its already been a loooong project then it might be worthwhile to get the basics done like I mentioned before and then slap it together and drive it a bit. Not only will this allow you to take mom-in-law the obligatory ride but it will give you time to work out any little bugs and issues that you will have and it will also give you time to make some memories and get a feel for the old truck.
Those memories will be important later when you start pulling things back apart to paint and get overwhelmed with that whole process.

Its a tough call
Bobby

Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Since it is a family thing, I would save the signage on the driver door. Kill any rust in the seams, underside, hidden places, install the cab and make it driveable. Take grandma for a ride while she still appreciates it. Your truck, Joe, your decision. I am sure it will be the best one.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you put color in your hair? If so then paint it first, if not then drive it like it is with the rust fixed and those hard to get places primed. I wanted to leave mine alone but the 5o pounds of bondo was falling off so I decided to clean it up and ended up painting it. And I am still not driving it two and one half years later....

Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by topmoo
Do you put color in your hair?
LOL. Man, I don't even put that stupid gel in my hair. (my apologies to you gel folk) Wash, towel dry, quick comb and go. (shoot if a comb isn't handy fingers work too, when my wife isn't around)

At times I've considered leaving the dent in the fender....I kind of like the idea of leaving the battle scars. The fender was a fight with a hay baler. The door art will stay or be repainted. I have pondered that some though. Leaving my wife's grandpa's name on it prevents it from truly being my truck, but it keeps the family history. Family history is winning out.

I never have been a big patina fan, but over time you guys that have the patina have made me appreciate it much more.

When warmth returns, I will need to start inspecting the body parts and get a better feel of what I need.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Since it is a family thing, I would save the signage on the driver door. Kill any rust in the seams, underside, hidden places, install the cab and make it driveable. Take grandma for a ride while she still appreciates it. Your truck, Joe, your decision. I am sure it will be the best one.
I agree. My F-1 was at about your stage in 2002........it took me 9 more YEARS to do the body&paint (and I'm a body man!) and finish it. Could have been enjoying it much sooner. In the end I'm happy with the results though......
Follow your heart.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would try at least fix areas that are not easy to get to underneath if the frame where there. Like the firewall for instance, bottom of floor and rear cab corners. Then do the rest while you enjoy the ride! Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Should I put the body on and go or fix dents and such first?