1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

How Ford makes life easy

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Ford makes life easy

Well I'm starting to go through this new to me 98 Ranger 4.0, and wanted to remove the MAF sensor for cleaning. Low and behold there are 2 screws holding it in; one is a tamper resistant Torx, and the other Torx is filled with epoxy so as to make it impossible to get out. I mean really, on a friggin MAF sensor? Is that the way it came from the factory? What Ford engineer do I need to skewer? I cleaned the sensor anyway by shooting it in through the air filter opening. But if the sensor itself needs replacing I WILL find a way. I know this is just a bitch thread, but feel free to ad any other ways "Ford makes life easy" for you. And PawPaw ty for your help, I'm gonna get that ELM. They have a new model out now, and will be giving it a try.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
First time I cleaned my Ranger MAF, I took a Dremel tool and cut a slit through the head of the bolts so I could remove them with a regular screwdriver. Worked great. Then after I was done cleaning the MAF, I drove to the hardware store and found two exact replacement bolts, only with phillips heads, and two little lock washers.

Now whenever I want access to the MAF I don't have to mess around with security star bits or anything else. I just pull out a screwdriver from my toolbox.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Cleaning the MAF sensor in place is second best choice, But "any port in a storm"....right!!!! lol

We can use a tamper proof torx adapter tip, or modify the tamper proof fastner with a moto tool, by grinding the center post down, or use a Harbor Freight diamond cutting wheel to make a slot in the fastner so you can use a straight blade screw driver to remove them, then if we wish, replace the fastners with a head design we like.

Let us know how the ELM & FOScan combo work for you. They are still working on the software, making it better & fixing bugs here & there on some year/model vehicles, but it worked just fine on my 99 Ranger, to query the ABS & GEM controllers to help me trouble shoot why my ABS light suddenly turned on & get it fixed to pass inspection. If you have a problem with your year/model vehicle, just send them a file copy & they'll usually find & fix the problem within a day or two & answer us back, usually with a fixed beta copy of the program.

The ELM327 is a Danged good & powerful trouble shooting tool bang for the buck, for our electronic tool box, all we wrench turners should have one & for around $20, we can afford it!!!! WOOPS, I see Rockledge has a faster keyboard than I do!!!! lol

Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ty Rock and Paw, great idea on cutting the slots. I was able to spray the too little wires from the MAF real good, but will cut the slots when able. I get a code 153 and 200 from another scanner I have, but it's not really a good one. My understanding is I got a bad 02 sensor on bank 2. I suppose thats passenger side? Let me know if I'm wrong on that. Txt to all

Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
bank 2 drivers side

Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
^+1 on tomw's post. The P0153 is for a lazy/slow response, upstream/before cat converter bank-2/drivers side O2 sensor.
Best to replace O2 sensors in pairs, so also replace the bank 1 upstream sensor.

Make sure O2 sensors have high temp nickel anti-sieze compound on the threads, but don't get any on the sensor as that could contimanate it. Make sure the O2 sensors wiring, insulation, electrical connector & its pins/sockets are in good repair & in OEM configuration.

Also be sure to disconnect the battery B- cable before replacement/repair, so the corrupt KAM fuel trim tables are wiped from memory. Then after all repairs are made & the battery cable is reconnected, start the engine & go through the cold & warm idle strategy relearn routine, so to eliminate possible driveability problems & to enable the computer to begin rebuilding new fuel trim tables.

The P0200 is for a fuel injector circuit failure, but doesn't say which injector, so you might use a stethoscope to listen to each injector to determine if one sounds different, or intermittently stops working. Then check that injectors electrical connector is properly fastened, or doesn't have wiring insulation damage, bent pins or spread sockets, no corrosion & is getting B+ at KOEO.

Let us know how your trouble shoot goes.