1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Cat906
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm kinda giggling, too. I worked with a girl from Texas and she had the WORST habit of getting stuck in snowbanks.

I live a bit south of Michigan Tech, recently named #1 in the top 10 Snowiest Colleges in the US (The 10 Snowiest Colleges in the US)

...and this is what they do in the Winter:
Winter Carnival 2013 Statues - a set on Flickr

Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Cat906
Senior User
This is one of my favorites:

Old 01-29-2014, 04:04 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
I don't see what the big deal is. I love snow. We took a group of teenagers camping in Northern Minnesota over Christmas break. That's right, camping. Stayed in a tent a couple of nights. Some of the kids even stayed out under the stars. It was fun.
I camped with a group of students last night at my school. There is only one road that runs by the school and the way home was blocked by a police cruiser. I went back to school to help out with the 100+ students who were stranded and waiting for parents to show up. Luckily we had it whittled down to 3 by midnight. The last one was picked up at about 1:00 pm today. My S10 is still in the parking lot, but a co-worker with 4 wheel drive dropped me off at the bottom of my mountain. As I was walking up the mountain, a neighbor with a 4-wheeler asked if I wanted a ride up the reaming 1 mile (since it was 18 degrees out, that was a no-brainer).

Oh, my wife is still stranded at a co-worker's house. Their last student was picked up at 11:00 pm and they were forced to evacuate the building (schoolspeak for "the students are gone, and we have 100 applications for your job...good luck!"). I pretty much received the same message that I'd better have another place to go once the students are gone.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Cat - That's what happens when you put a bunch of engineers out in the snow for an extended period of time. With beer. For warmth, of course.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:07 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Doc
My relatives would burn New Mexico completely down within a week if they lived there. They LOVE to burn brush and weeds around their homes, especially during the cleanup season in the spring. They'd die if they couldn't throw a big torch right in the middle of those weeds.

The models here are saying we'll get another big load of snow next week, possibly close to 12 inches. Of course, that's a heavy frost for you northerners.
I feel the "White Flu" coming on. It may be time to burn some of the 180+ sick days I have on the books.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I camped with a group of students last night at my school. There is only one road that runs by the school and the way home was blocked by a police cruiser. I went back to school to help out with the 100+ students who were stranded and waiting for parents to show up. Luckily we had it whittled down to 3 by midnight. The last one was picked up at about 1:00 pm today. My S10 is still in the parking lot, but a co-worker with 4 wheel drive dropped me off at the bottom of my mountain. As I was walking up the mountain, a neighbor with a 4-wheeler asked if I wanted a ride up the reaming 1 mile (since it was 18 degrees out, that was a no-brainer).

Oh, my wife is still stranded at a co-worker's house. Their last student was picked up at 11:00 pm and they were forced to evacuate the building (schoolspeak for "the students are gone, and we have 100 applications for your job...good luck!"). I pretty much received the same message that I'd better have another place to go once the students are gone.
So who dropped the ball in your area--the meteorologists or the school administrators? In other words, did the meteorologists completely miss predicting the storm, or did the school administrators just not believe them when they told them about the upcoming storm? My kids have only been in school four days since the Christmas break.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Doc
So who dropped the ball in your area--the meteorologists or the school administrators? In other words, did the meteorologists completely miss predicting the storm, or did the school administrators just not believe them when they told them about the upcoming storm? My kids have only been in school four days since the Christmas break.
I'd say both of them. We were supposed to get snow starting at 11:00 am (it started at 10:30 a.m. ), and it was supposed to snow off and on until about 2:00 a.m. It's not like they didn't get to see/hear what was happening in AL before it hit GA.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat906
I'm kinda giggling, too. I worked with a girl from Texas and she had the WORST habit of getting stuck in snowbanks.

I live a bit south of Michigan Tech, recently named #1 in the top 10 Snowiest Colleges in the US (The 10 Snowiest Colleges in the US)

...and this is what they do in the Winter:
Winter Carnival 2013 Statues - a set on Flickr
And not too far away from me in NY #'s 2,3,4 and 9. Cornell is about 12 miles away.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I finally realized what global warming is all about. Last summer it was hot and now it is cold. That is a scientific assumption.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry and try to enjoy the novelty cause as we say around here in regards to the stuff . The good lord giveth and the good lord taketh away .

Old 01-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I'd say both of them. We were supposed to get snow starting at 11:00 am (it started at 10:30 a.m. ), and it was supposed to snow off and on until about 2:00 a.m. It's not like they didn't get to see/hear what was happening in AL before it hit GA.
Can you imagine how many of those rich Atlanta suburbanites will be at the dealerships next week demanding the biggest and the baddest 4x4's they have in stock? But it won't matter much on that ice (without much snow). I was watching your all's plight on the news tonight. Snow is easy to drive through. That solid sheet of ice on the road--totally different story. We had one of those sudden ice storms here about 2 weeks ago. I literally drove by brand-new SUV's sitting on their tops.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Cat906
Senior User
For all the snow we get, I'd much rather be plowing through a couple inches of the white stuff than driving on an ice rink. 4x4 won't get you any traction on a sheet of ice. But if you're lucky, you might end up in a little bit of snow and can get yourself out...

Fortyniner- a beer always sounds good to me on a cold, winter's eve......and a crisp spring afternoon........and a brisk Autumn anytime..... And nothing beats listening to or watching a baseball game with a cold one in the summer..... I think I'm detecting a pattern here!
And GLR, you guys get quite a bit of the lake effect like we do! (Although to be completely honest, I'm lucky to live just a little bit north and a little bit south of the areas that get hammered by lake effect-we just get the cold!)

Last edited by Cat906; 01-29-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Well O have enjoyed the white stuff and now I would like it to melt. The problem with us here in N Alabama is the weather man predicted we would only get a lite dusting and it was all going to stay to the south. So all the schools opened and all the business opened then about 9 am it came down hard and fast and caught everyone off guard. The snow is not bad but the 1/4 to half inch of ice under it along with our terrain is bad news. Normally everyone would just stay inside and enjoy the off day. But everyone was trying to get home or to school to pick up their kids. Birmingham alone has over 1 million people. It took my son 5 hours to drive home from work about 30 miles. Just so many people couldn't get up the hills and across the bridges. Saw my neighbor out yesterday evening with his tractor and box blade trying to clear our road. Our version of a snow plow, LOL salt truck? What's that? Plus here in Alabama we have only had snow in January 4 times in the last 21 years, 3 of those were less than an inch. So we don't get much practice.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
The weather people are only good at telling us what yesterday's weather was and what the temp is right now. Only God knows what the weather will be tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Well day two of the great 2014 winter storm . We are still in lock down as all schools and such are closed again . Most of the 1 inch of snow melted yesterday . The temps are in the teens last night , so the concern is black ice that formed from the snow melt . I would love to see the pure panic a good 2 foot snowfall and strong wind would cause , This place would be closed up for a month . You would think the county would have a couple of sanders , that could be dropped into a dump truck box . They would last forever and could be transferred from truck to truck over the years . After a 6 inch snowfall a couple of years ago the city of Taccoa bought a walk behind snow blower to clean side walks . Think heavy wet snow that we get . I wonder how many fingers that thing will eat ?

Quick Reply: snow