Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Elder User

NS F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe the fuel bowl heater is needed?

Hi guys, I have an 02 F250 that is giving me some cold weather trouble. With new batteries, rebuilt starter and synthetic oil, she starts without any problems, but sometimes after driving for a few minutes, the engine loses power. It died a couple of times, but it will restart and drive at reduced power. It seems like gelled fuel, but I have been running diesel kleen and the pump I fill up at is supposedly winter fuel. I did replace the stock fuel pump with the walbro pump that was all the rage a few years ago and It seems to be making a higher pitched whine than in warmer weather. When I open the fuel bowl drain with the engine running, the sound of the pump does change. The filter only has a few hundred miles on it, so I wouldn't think it's plugged. This has me thinking the fuel may be gelling in the fuel bowl? I did have the fuel bowl heater short out a few years ago, so it is disconnected. I wonder if that could be my issue? If not, maybe my pump doesn't like to pump diesel fuel when it's -17* out? Thanks
68 Charger R/T 440
Old 01-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant future
I think you have the 2 possible/likely culprits narrowed down pretty well. It looks like a fuel gauge may be in your near future.

PAA Member #3
2003 Lariat CC4X4

Cold Start thread
Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Senior User

t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.
I feel better keeping my heater plugged in. We recently had a similar issue with my brothers OBS. I took the filter out to find a big block of ice sitting atop a broken fuel bowl heater. While I realize that's an extreme, it proves a point I think. Oh, and the water-in-fuel sensor never registered either.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
For starters, ditch the walbro fuel pump...I learned that lesson the hard way.

It's not designed to consistently supply the proper amount of fuel to the 7.3 at all times. I learned this last September when I had to replace it with a stock pump.

I installed it the Spring of 2011 and my 7.3 had inconsistent throttle response since then. Thinking it was just the nature of the beast, I just let it be. Over time, it evetually got weaker and weaker to the point where it died at work.

I replaced it in the parking lot at work and after driving it, it was a night and day difference between the pump. It still has consistent throttle response and the truck drives completely different from when it had the Walbro pump.

Didn't mean to get off topic, but thought I'd give you a heads up on that.
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Studded, Deleted, Flo-Pro'd, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood, sweat, and tears by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
In addition,
I would replace the fuel filter and throw some #1 diesel in the tank when the OAT's get down that low. #2 with additives would still be in the danger zone of gelling at those temps. Here's some pics so you can get an idea of what is happening. Especially if your truck is parked outside. Once the filter catches the wax crystals it will reduce the flow through the filter.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/92...ml#post8445770

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...l#post13987449

Also, carry some diesel 911 around, so if/when you lose power again you can throw some in the filter & the tank. If it takes care of your symptoms then you know it was gelling.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
Every time it drops below -10F I see diesel pick-ups pulled over on I-29 idling, cuz that's all they can get them to do. The diesel shops & tow trucks have been extremely busy this month making $$$......
Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Elder User

NS F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
For starters, ditch the walbro fuel pump...I learned that lesson the hard way.

It's not designed to consistently supply the proper amount of fuel to the 7.3 at all times. I learned this last September when I had to replace it with a stock pump.

I installed it the Spring of 2011 and my 7.3 had inconsistent throttle response since then. Thinking it was just the nature of the beast, I just let it be. Over time, it evetually got weaker and weaker to the point where it died at work.

I replaced it in the parking lot at work and after driving it, it was a night and day difference between the pump. It still has consistent throttle response and the truck drives completely different from when it had the Walbro pump.

Didn't mean to get off topic, but thought I'd give you a heads up on that.
No, this is very on topic. I have been noticing the sound of the pump lately, and I think the extreme weather is probably stressing it enough that it doesn't want to work.

I will also check the fuel filter for ice when it's warmer tomorrow. It's supposed to be a balmy 14*.

Thanks for the fast responses guys.
68 Charger R/T 440
Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS F250 View Post
No, this is very on topic. I have been noticing the sound of the pump lately, and I think the extreme weather is probably stressing it enough that it doesn't want to work. I will also check the fuel filter for ice when it's warmer tomorrow. It's supposed to be a balmy 14*. Thanks for the fast responses guys.
There you have it, the pump kept getting louder and louder and me being so busy I never paid attention to it until it died completely.

It didn't hit me that the pump had been warning me for days before until it died and I had to replace it.
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Studded, Deleted, Flo-Pro'd, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood, sweat, and tears by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS F250 View Post
Hi guys, I have an 02 F250 that is giving me some cold weather trouble. With new batteries, rebuilt starter and synthetic oil, she starts without any problems, but sometimes after driving for a few minutes, the engine loses power. It died a couple of times, but it will restart and drive at reduced power. It seems like gelled fuel, but I have been running diesel kleen and the pump I fill up at is supposedly winter fuel.
Diesel Kleen is not an anti-gel additive.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Senior User

Bigtruc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I still have not been able to find a definate answer on the exact purpose of the fuel bowl heater or how necessary it is, all I know is mine is completly removed & my truck still starts & runs just fine with temps dropping to -35 here (that's straight temp, no wind chill crap). I just make sure to always fill up at a reputable station & I put straight #1 in.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 AM
New User

merlinv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guys, you are forgetting one import thing here that is the fuel tank pickup rubber foot, it might be disintegrated into pieces and a piece might be getting sucked up, starving the pump.That's why he losing power as he's driving after starting the demand on the engine is not alot, after he starts driving the pieces at the bottom of the tank are moving around and. Question here is can you run the tank to almost empty. You might have to drop the Tank.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
I believe the white bottle of Diesel Kleen has anti-gel, not the other one. Did you use white?

The Walbro pump is not engineered for diesel and is not manufactured at the quality level of the stocker.

A whining pump is a good clue, it could be a pickup issue, a pump issue, or a gelled fuel issue. I installed a fuel pressure pump for days like this, and it was a total eye-opener the very day I installed it. I had to re-design my fuel supply mods.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 AM
Posting Guru

dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The Airtex E2236 is my fuel pump of choice. Several Bosch failures, no Airtex failures.
Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter.Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline wix (33007 or 33972) filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump & two 12v 36" heaters. July of 2013-265/75/16 E range BW Michelin.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruc View Post
I still have not been able to find a definate answer on the exact purpose of the fuel bowl heater
As water accumulates off the separator, the heater keeps it from freezing and damaging the bowl.

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 01-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruc View Post
I still have not been able to find a definate answer on the exact purpose of the fuel bowl heater or how necessary it is, all I know is mine is completly removed & my truck still starts & runs just fine with temps dropping to -35 here (that's straight temp, no wind chill crap). I just make sure to always fill up at a reputable station & I put straight #1 in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
As water accumulates off the separator, the heater keeps it from freezing and damaging the bowl.
OK, this is interesting, I still have the fuel bowl installed and will be putting a regulated return on the Excursion. Just not sure if I should keep the fuel bowl on or not. I didn't worry about it too much living in Oklahoma but since moving to South Dakota 5 years ago I was leery about removing the fuel bowl.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel