1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

No Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 AM
fordiscool
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Horsepower

98 ford f150, 4.6, manual transmission. Bought truck with blown plug, wouldn't go 20 mph uphill, fixed blown plug, ran decent, wouldn't go 65mph on a straight, but it ran.

Replaced plugs, ran ok, better gas miles. Re-wired stereo, took a negative 14gauge lead off negative battery terminal, put back on, wont go more than 45 mph without power loss to 30 mph, 1st-2nd gear ok uphill, 1st feels like my foot fell off my bike pedal halfway through, 3rd-5th gear lose power uphill, but coast with little to no acceleration.

At idle, gas pedal down, no rev, feels like it loses all power, almost stalls. At idle, gas pedal halfway up, starts to rev, loses power halfway, almost stalls.

No visual problems.

#P1131
#P1151
#P1506

thanks

Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
coolguy1419
Senior User
Clogged cats? Bad throttle positioning sensor? IAC valve stuck? Check some of the common things then go from there. Sounds to me like cats are plugged no letting it rev and breath.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by coolguy1419
Clogged cats?Sounds to me like cats are plugged no letting it rev and breath.
Might be right. Maybe cat melted down from raw fuel pouring down exhaust with blown plug.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
For the codes you list.......what do they tell you?
1131/1151 is both banks lean.
1506 is IAC over speed error. It's likely closed down trying to reduce air.
You likely have a massive air leak in the intake at some point or lack of fuel.
If there would be cat issues from melting/plugging you would see codes 420/430.
A lean condition usually does not melt the Cats from lack of fuel or to much air.
An excess of fuel that gets to the Cats through misfiring cylinders can burn in them and melt them.
Good luck.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 AM
fordiscool
New User
I have my throttle body off with a new throttle position sensor and idle air controller. Haven't put it back on because I dropped the double sided bolt between the intake and the engine so I'm taking the alternator off to retrieve it.

I guess the iac valve was open a little, I couldn't really tell. More importantly I checked the fuel pressure, and it was holding at whatever 55 psi or some standard number and the fuel pressure looked okay.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM
fordiscool
New User
The fuel pressure is fine, but when I drive it, it hardly uses gas like I would expect it to, we have a Durango 4.7L V8 and its kind of a monster when it comes to gas. My F150 uses gas like a 4 cylinder, if that's any help.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Has anything improved from your work?
Are any codes still coming back after you clear them?
Fuel pressure should be in the 35 psi range.
Good luck.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
hmmm try your TPS sounds like the motor and tranny arnt getting along and the motor dosnt know what you want. But normaly on a OBOII thatll show a check engine light but they can throw u for a loop. Google how to do a voltage drop test on a tps and ull know.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
fordiscool
New User
Okay. Found what may be the vaccum leak with the hose that goes from the back of the throttle body firewall side, it just has a cracked where it grips, not sure if it needs a clamp. Replaced IAC, TPS, and Fuel Filter. Read codes with a different ODBII, caught 1, 3, and 8 misfiring.

Changed coilpack to 1, 3, and changed 8's plug and got the wire on. 8 stopped misfiring and the truck ran a little smoother. Right now, 1 and 3 are misfiring.

At idle, the idle climbs, and falls, it'll go regular, then low. When I try to accelerate it feels really sluggish until it gets into the higher of the RPMs. The gas pedal feels coarse to push down and up, the engine feels like either the rpm doesn't seem correct or air flow doesn't seem correct.

It still doesn't overcome resistance going uphill, it will fall in rpm, causing me to downshift, and on straight roads it will barely get up to 50 or so then not really want to accelerate any higher.

Codes:
#P0301
#P1000
#P1131

Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
301 is cylinder 1 misfire.
1131 is a lean code for bank 1 passenger side. It's same as 171 code.
Code 1000 is not a trouble code but telling you all diagnostics have not run to completion and passed.
Good luck..

Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 PM
fordiscool
New User
First ODB II scan codes:

P0300
P0301
P0303
P0402
P1000
P1131

Cleaned plug well 1, 3, 8 cyclinder, second ODB II scan codes:

P0174
P0301
P0303
P0402
P1000

I do have an exaust pipe rusted and cracked completely, i was gonna band it but its at a really weird places where the duals come together after the cats. Exaust comes up through the plug wells when I blew them out with air, and I've seen exaust come out the ait filter housing. I didn't think that or any other small vaccum leak(my air filter housing isn't flush) would cause such power loss. I'm getting half the power when I depress the accelerator, if even that.

I cleaned all the plug wells, but I didn't gap them, I don't have a gapper right now. When I was putting the air filter housing back on, I noticed this weird gunk pooled up in the housing that attatches to the throttle body, and it's oil. About 1/4 cup of oil just pooled up in there, and recently.

Small gasket leak? Blown head? Bad valves\cam? Pistons going out? Is the engine blown, is my primary concern.Tranny, clutch seem okay, they've slipped once I belive. Rear end I don't know much about, pcm either. Recommendations on what path to take next?

Thank you, for the appreciation.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Your codes tell you nearly the whole story.
First you will not have any power with 2 cylinders out.
The 402 code is excess exhaust flow into the intake when the system does it's self diagnostics. It there is an open EGR valve this will further reduce engine power.
This why you have no power until these issues are repaired.
The open exhaust after the cats is not giving you any problem but noise and exhaust fumes that has to be fixed for safety and inspection.
The 1000 code is not a fault code.
The 300 and 1000 codes will go away after the other faults are repaired.
You just have to get the repairs done then it will run ok for you.
Good luck.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Forsyth88
New User
My truck is doing almost the exact same thing, i have a 99 f-150 4x4 4.6 that i just bought, i noticed that bluegrass said an open egr could cause the power loss. my egr tube is broken off of the nut so i ordered one which hasnt arrived yet, in the meantime i rigged a piece of metal around it (didnt help) my truck will barely climb a hill my rpm drops frequently, the lowest has been 10 mph, 55 is my current top speed, sometimes i get to 65-70. b4 i bought the truck he changed the plugs and wires then not even four months later it was running awful so i get to looking and some of those new plugs were obliterated. i never seen anything like it, i changed them and the wires, both coil packs,TPS, and the round thing on top of the throttlebody that has a wire going to it and still runs awful. had it scanned it says cylinder 8 misfire, and two oxygen sensors and thats it. Would the oxygen sensors add to the truck running like this? i know in some cases some sensors can cause them to not run right but not sure on this truck, i know the broken egr tube will throw the sensors as well. also when i get to cruising speed 50-55 at 2grand the truck will start shaking it really acts like its not getting fuel, i also had that wierd gunk in my trottle body i think that might be from the bad valve seats? Im new to this forum this is my first post ever i would really appreciate some input, no one around here seems to be able to help, im pretty sure both of my manifold gaskets are leaking as well, its a good lookin truck and i really hate getting complements from strangers sayin "nice truck" then when i start the darn thing it sounds like death, they may some interesting faces as i drive off lol. sorry for the novel

Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
vaper
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Forsyth88
My truck is doing almost the exact same thing, i have a 99 f-150 4x4 4.6 that i just bought, i noticed that bluegrass said an open egr could cause the power loss. my egr tube is broken off of the nut so i ordered one which hasnt arrived yet, in the meantime i rigged a piece of metal around it (didnt help) my truck will barely climb a hill my rpm drops frequently, the lowest has been 10 mph, 55 is my current top speed, sometimes i get to 65-70. b4 i bought the truck he changed the plugs and wires then not even four months later it was running awful so i get to looking and some of those new plugs were obliterated. i never seen anything like it, i changed them and the wires, both coil packs,TPS, and the round thing on top of the throttlebody that has a wire going to it and still runs awful. had it scanned it says cylinder 8 misfire, and two oxygen sensors and thats it. Would the oxygen sensors add to the truck running like this? i know in some cases some sensors can cause them to not run right but not sure on this truck, i know the broken egr tube will throw the sensors as well. also when i get to cruising speed 50-55 at 2grand the truck will start shaking it really acts like its not getting fuel, i also had that wierd gunk in my trottle body i think that might be from the bad valve seats? Im new to this forum this is my first post ever i would really appreciate some input, no one around here seems to be able to help, im pretty sure both of my manifold gaskets are leaking as well, its a good lookin truck and i really hate getting complements from strangers sayin "nice truck" then when i start the darn thing it sounds like death, they may some interesting faces as i drive off lol. sorry for the novel
Welcome to the forum Forsyth88
I think you will do much better to start your own thread
List known issues
List work performed
List the actual codes
Good luck