Sponsored by: Moser

Chips/tuners in eco and 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 PM
gdhillon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chips/tuners in eco and 5.0?

I read on the 6.7 forum that you can delete the DPF and have a tuner on a 6.7, and go back to the stock setup for warranty issues. However, the dealer will see the 'footprint' from the tuner and can void your warranty. (correct me if im wrong on this)

Now I am curious, on youtube I have seen ghost cam tunes on 5.0 f150s and I have seen videos of ecos with tuners, can the tuners on these trucks be removed without leaving a foot print?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
subscribing

Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 AM
thomastl
Senior User
No. Ford engineers can tell and can void the warrenty on the drivetrain depending on the issue.
I was told by my service manager that on a major fault the first thing Ford does is ask for the computer to be sent to them so they can verify no tune. If they find a tune (and they can) then they will not cover the issue.
My guess is if you have a turbo go out or an engine or transmission and you have a tune your probably on your own warrenty wise.

I would love to do a tune but won't for warrenty reasons on my eco.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 5.4 and maybe its different with newer models but I remember reading that they can tell by the ECM and if it has been flashed/ how many times. They would have to prove the tune did in fact cause the failure but Ford has a lot more money than you. I think they got wise to this from the issues starting with the 6.uh-oh. That said, I do run an SCT X3 and Mikes tune, but it was moreso to adjust for the shifting points with my bigger tires, speedo and cat-back. I think I only gained ~ 10-15 hp according to Mike but like I said I mostly did it to firm up the shifting. May be best to contact him directly and see what he has to say? He is a site sponsor, Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning Just my .02

Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
They would have to prove the tune did in fact cause the failure but Ford has a lot more money than you.
Yup, Tim has got it here. Look up the magnum moss warranty act. They have to prove that the modification caused the failure. However, as mentioned Ford has more money/resources than we do. Is it worth it?

Personally, It's not worth the risk to me. If I needed more power, I would have purchased a more powerful truck. They're pretty stout from the factory these days. The fuel efficiency gains from tuners are negligible, as with the "MPG wars" raging, the OEM is doing all they can to squeeze every last drop of energy from fuel.

My 7.3 had a Tony Wildman custom burn chip. My 5.0 will never see a chip/tuner while I own it. Just not worth the battle should I require any warranty work.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
When I asked an ase master tech/fmc senior master tech how they can tell if you have run a tune...this was his answer:

"It'll just show what calibration is in it at the time, and how long its been since anything was changed. There's also a dtc (P167f) "non oem programming detected"

So there you have it.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I really don't understand this, run your truck outside of what it was designed for and then expected ford to pay for it...

Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
I think that would be the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act...

And yes, they can tell. You play, something breaks, you pay.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
gdhillon
Senior User
I wasn't implying I'd chip a truck with hotrod like goals and when something goes boom expect ford to front the bill. I was just wanting to know if ford would void you of all and any warranty if they saw that you were chipped. I never knew of this magnum moss act and will for sure look into it.

That being said I would assume the rough idle on the ghost cam tunes doesnt do too much good for oil pressure.

Brett, when I was referring to the scorpion I was speaking in regards to the guys that do deletes on their rigs for better fuel efficiency.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't try to be a dink or anything, just keep hearing of guys that think they are going to straight pipe their diesel, go blowing smoke all over at the top power level and when things break let ford fix it.

The dealer will be able to see if you tuned.

I guess your question is more if something non-Powertrain breaks?? I've heard of some dealers that won't even touch a tuned truck, maybe ask your dealer what they think first? If they say they won't fix "anything", probably not worth the headache...

Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
gdhillon
Senior User
Hey nw, its hard to 'read' people on the internet, yep you hit the nail on the head with that. I have heard that dealers will void you of everything if your tuned.....reason I am asking this ? is b/c i have no experience with warranty. I'm the type of guy that only buys what I can pay cash for, but with these new trucks and crazy power they have i am really wanting to upgrade from my 93 f250 with a 7.3 IDI. Don't get me wrong my truck gets me from point a-b fine, but being an all mechanical diesel XL it has its down falls.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by gdhillon
i am really wanting to upgrade from my 93 f250 with a 7.3 IDI. Don't get me wrong my truck gets me from point a-b fine, but being an all mechanical diesel XL it has its down falls.
Have you taken a test drive in the 5.0 yet? I think you will find it plenty quick. How much do you plan to tow/haul? I've already towed a mustang on a u-haul car trailer and the 5.0 did just fine, actually exceeded my expectations. You can find my towing write-up HERE . I came from having a lightly tuned (straight pipe, NAPA6637 intake and tony wildman chip) '97 7.3L powerstroke to the 5.0 feels plenty quick in stock form. If I was towing more, then maybe I would feel differently.

If you are looking to replace your current IDI as a tow/haul rig, and tow above 8k LBS, you may want to look into an Ecoboost 3.5L or a 6.2L unit. Just some thoughts

Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
When I asked an ase master tech/fmc senior master tech how they can tell if you have run a tune...this was his answer:

"It'll just show what calibration is in it at the time, and how long its been since anything was changed. There's also a dtc (P167f) "non oem programming detected"

So there you have it.
It's easy to clear the codes so the tune can't be detected by seeing the P167F code.

As far as what calibration is currently in it, any code reader will do that. All tuners and most customers know to return it to stock before taking it in, so that's not a problem either.
I don't see knowing "how long since anything being changed" is a problem either, unless it specifically keeps track of what was changed.

Best advice. Return it to stock. Either disconnect the battery or do a few drive cycles before taking it in.

For those that don't know some Ford dealerships sell trucks with mods, - lifts, big tires, tuners, etc and these trucks have full factory warranty.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
That's a good point

Old 01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
gdhillon
Senior User
Robb, I have test driven the 5.0 and eco. I really like the get up an go on the eco. In all honesty the 5.0 would be more than enough for me. All I haul is firewood, my sled/quad. And the occasional load of garbage to the dump. I should add that my IDI is n/a so the acceleration from those two snails really gets me all giddy.

I do plan on getting a travel trailer down the road, probably just a decent sized bumper pull though. Man a 97 PSD IMO you can't get any better than that. A OBS PSD CCLB with a zf6 is my dream truck. But with the way diesel fuel prices are its just not feasible to drive a rig like that empty....atleast for me it isn't. From what i've read on here the 5.0 and eco get pretty much the same fuel economy, and with towing ofcourse those numbers would go down the crapper but thats just any gasser

Not quite sure I follow you there johndeere, if i understand you correctly your saying disconnecting the battery will reset the truck and it won't leave a foot print?

Quick Reply: Chips/tuners in eco and 5.0?