Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Like we ever have a thread in this forum that is not hijacked at some point.

Well it sounds like a bunch of people have had some of the same thoughts as me. That's encouraging. I'm leaning toward putting the body on. Since I don't have a standard bed that simplify's things a little. When I get the chassis really running (I can't wait for that! And yes, a video will be taken.) I will take a much closer look at the body parts which will help make my decision.

If anyone has any more stories or thoughts I would love to hear them. So would others in my situation. I mean at this moment we have 290 people viewing the 48-56 forum. That's a lot more people than actually post.

When the weather warms up, I need to offer a meal or two and some cold beverages to some of you guys within an hour or two to have you inspect my work and BS. Hmmmm Brats on the grill sounds real good right now.
Sounds like a Missouri Truck Fest if you ask me!

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Joe, what does your original flatbed look like? Was it a Ford script bed or an aftermarket bed or a wooden homemade bed? Why don't you use that ?

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Joe, what does your original flatbed look like? Was it a Ford script bed or an aftermarket bed or a wooden homemade bed? Why don't you use that ?
It was a Knapheide grain bed. It's gone because I'm an idiot sometimes and thought it was in too bad of shape. I now know I was completely wrong. I did save the bed wood and stake sides and made a workbench and shelving.
Here is the bed:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the workbench and shelving:
Click the image to open in full size.

I haven't seen the garage that clean in years.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Elder User

drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
If it were me and I felt like I wanted to get the cab on and get the truck running again, then I would prep the underside of the floor and paint the floor and firewall. That way you can bolt it up and still be able to paint the cab in such a way that it looks good. Good luck!
Exactly how I did my last two builds which were "patina" style rods and I would do the same with your truck. Everything finished off where it allowed the truck to not have to come completely apart for paint if you decided on paint in the future. Building the car or truck is fun but the real excitement is driving them. But as was said already be ready to accept that once you are driving it the chances of wanting to take it apart again are pretty low, so dont build it in a way that you would not want to drive it forever that way.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by drptop70ss View Post
Building the car or truck is fun but the real excitement is driving them.
This is exactly why I have begun thinking about getting the body on sooner. One of the question I will be asking myself is if the prep work I feel is necessary will take me far enough down the road to go ahead and get a clean coat of paint or if the patina look will work for a while.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Elder User

dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.
My situation was different in that the PO had the truck mostly in pieces and the engine and trans were unknowns, so take this with a grain of salt.

If I was in your position, I would do as others have suggested and do some basic prep (firewall, inners, interior paint if possible), then put it together and drive it. Enjoy it for a while, then next winter, pull the front sheetmetal and do the bodywork. Depending on how far you get, paint it if you have time. Otherwise, put it together again in primer and drive it again for a while. Just remember, most primer isn't weatherproof.

It is easy to get so involved in wanting everything perfect that you lose a huge amount of time that you could be enjoying driving it.

It took me 2 years to get mine on the road, and, like Joe, I have a ways to go still. But, you would be amazed at just how good it feels to just drive it into town. Every time you park and come back to it, you will think "I put it together and can drive it around - how cool is that!"

I did my own body and paint (never done it before, but am happy with the results) and only had around $500 into supplies. No, it isn't a show winner, but it is mine and I can say I did it all. A basic HVLP ($30-80) gun and some single stage paint at $100/ gallon will go a long ways. And without a bed, you just saved about 50% of your necessary bodywork.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
What's a comb?
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks