Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 PM
New User

shafif is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks. I'd love to buy wood myself and cut/dado it to fit the strips and bed. Any specs out there on the cuts needed?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Here is a diagram of the wood in the bed...
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Thanks, that makes sense.... What number grit sandpaper should I use for scuffing up the boards?
Use 100 or 120 stearated sandpaper. Nothing too fine since you want the new paint to stick to it, fine paper will polish it and the new will not adhere as well. I would also stay away from steel wool, not only will some get stuck and break off in the grain, but it will also leave some oil that comes on it to keep it from rusting in the store and in your shop.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Postmaster

abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmanconfused View Post
hey abe....
anyway , no, I wuddent take them off if you've already addressed the edges and bottom. that will last a long time. I don't think the automotive paint that u did the truck with previously would be the way to go. when u go to the paint store they will explain to you how the truck paint duzzent" breathe" like dedicated deck paint will on wood that" moves". u certainly can match the color up and off u go!
qman
One last question: oil base or latex paint? Or doesn't it matter?

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Posting Guru

firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Donnie , sent you a PM with contact info on 1-30 .Get in touch .I have the info on the Alphatic Urethane & Lorkote products.
1994 Dodge Ram Van ( the work truck ) ,1993 Dakota w/ 44k mi.,1952 F-1 the 1ST-RIDE ,23 T-Roadster w/ 426 wedge bored to 440 (85 % done ) ,1952 F-1 stock (under const) "Those of you who think you know it all are really annoying to those of us who do " Mark Donahue or Roger Penske Indy '71
Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 PM
New User

shafif is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
Here is a diagram of the wood in the bed...
Perfect! Thanks so much!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Posting Guru

EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I haven't done mine yet, but I just had a thought. I've seen a few,"mahogany replica boats", that I am pretty sure they fiberglass over the wood. I think I may look into that and see what or how they are doing it.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Floyd's Servant '55 F100

fabieber is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was fortunate enough to obtain some Japanese Beach that was used as submersed pilings in a local harbor. I shaved off the surfaces and what I found was the hardest, least porous, most beautiful wood I could have hoped for. I have tried various finishes for looks (as truck will never be in the rain) and have settled on just several coats of shellac.
Maybe it is because I'm from the Northwest but I would not consider using oak if the wood is likely to bet wet or the truck is exposed to a lot of sunlight.

Another option if it is going to be wet is teak. Price per board foot is pretty spendy but it's a pretty small area.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Senior User

DougofMontana is starting off with a positive reputation.
DougSkillman
I'm considering using Ash for my wood floor. About 6 years ago I built a shower stool out of it and put two coats of Minwax on it and it still looks like the day I put it in there. Of course no UV, so I would definitely use something like Varathane for my truck. Ash is heavy as hell, so would be good weight for the back end, LOL
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Senior User

qmanconfused is starting off with a positive reputation.
n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
ash is a great wood for your truck and maybe mine too. and oil base or latex in a quality paint should work just fine. just remember, DECK paint:-X2 just don't do I coat oil and I latex....that would make noise and jump off the bed right on to your mother-in-laws face! well, maybe not but it wouldn't be purty
qman
Old 02-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
If you want bed wood to look like a piece of furniture, then you will have to treat it like a piece of furniture, i.e. keep it in a climate controlled living room, out of sunlight or UV light, dust and wax it often, don't let anything touch it that can scratch the soft delicate finish, never get it wet.
Even antique oak furniture turned dark, look at any in a museum that has not been refinished. Oak has an abundance of tannic acid in it's composition, which in combination with moisture and UV radiation will destroy any finish put on it in short order, making it one of the poorest choices for exterior use.
Trying to keep wood that is exposed to the elements looking like a new shiny coffee table just isn't going to happen. Some woods/finishes will hold up somewhat better than others, but they will all fail, just the nature of wood. Same as a 60 year old woman trying to keep the body of an 18 year old, even with a surgeons help it will never look the same. Any wood boat owner that says he doen't have to refinish nearly constantly and doesn't spend more time maintaining it than riding in it is lying to you.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 02-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Senior User

n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
hey ax
u r right on most points BUT u've never seen my wife!!! all I have to do is dust her off weekly and she's as good as she was at 17!! ( I'd be the one getting "dusted" if she ever got hold of this anyway, we all pass by the wayside....wood, metal or flesh and fat but we all fail eventually....even our beloved trucks.

by the way, as long as I'm hi.jacking. I just bought an old police cruiser, an 03' cr vic to use as (or at least try to) my daily driver. I love it!

qman
Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Posting Guru

Chris 56 f6 has a great reputation on FTE.Chris 56 f6 has a great reputation on FTE.Chris 56 f6 has a great reputation on FTE.Chris 56 f6 has a great reputation on FTE.
Pledge works wonders ( on wives )
Click the image to open in full size.
Just be careful where you spray it
52 f6 dump truck build site
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...-s-kansas.html
50 F5 (S)flat bed dump build site
Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Senior User

n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
GOTCHA!!! some of the ladies, and I use the term loosely, that my dear wife hangs out with. mostly who think they are the upper crust of our locality, have had plenty of work done on their "grills" as much as their "back bumpers". and I'm here to say that they should have stopped when they were a recent "barn find". so, maybe I should stop it right here cuz I could get truly out of control but it is fun
qman
Old 02-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
The more work they have done the more desperate not youthful they look!

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 02-09-2014, 04:28 PM