Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Posting Guru

KC8QVO has a great reputation on FTE.KC8QVO has a great reputation on FTE.KC8QVO has a great reputation on FTE.KC8QVO has a great reputation on FTE.
Tonneau cover blew off, want something sturdy - ideas?

I've been leaving my cap in the garage and using my tonneu recently. I had it blown off going down the road today - about 40mph cross wind. I didn't loose anything out of the back, as amazing as that is.

The tonneau is an Extang Full Tilt. It is real versatile, which is why I have it. I have not had it seal real well against the bed rails and tailgate in the past, but have dealt with it. The flying off is a whole other story... Once I got the cover back on I stopped at a gas station and secured it with ropes inside pulling the latches down so if it let loose there was no way for it to fly up.

So - what is out there that is strong and seals well??

I had a Leer 700 on my old silverado that I liked. The hard part was removing it - with 2 people it could be done, but was still a bit of a pain then. Now I have a lift for the big cap so pulling it off is a non-issue.

What about locking mechanisms? I remember the 700 I had to take a torch to in the winter to get the lock un-froze. Are there any better mechanisms out there?

How are the lighter weight plastic/polymer caps? Has anyone had good luck with them?

I want something that totally covers the bed rails - nothing like the folding covers or retractable ones, I want a "lid" that is sturdy and secure.
"To truly solve a problem you must first understand the problem"
Old 01-30-2014, 05:46 PM
New User

OneSickTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also would like to know what the best tonneau cover is!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Posting Guru

crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.
its really about what works best for your needs & price, each one is better for different reasons.I did a couple hours search before laying down the cash.I chose the Back Flip F1 over some others because it folded in steps or all the way next to the back window.its fairly easy to remove if needed.my favorite Peragon retractable aluminum cover would not work for me because it folds down in to the bed as it retracts, which would hit the type of cargo I was hauling.lots to chose from.
01 F350 PSD LARIAT CC SB SRW 4X4 4R100 218K 373 GEARS,265/75R16 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY,HUTCH&HARPOON,PREPUMP FUEL FILTER,4" EXHAUST,AIS, COOLANT FILTER,[ ISSPRO PERFORMAX GAUGES TRANY,BOOST,EGT ] AIRBAGS,STABLE LOADS,SUPER HITCH,RS9000 SHOCKS,ODDESSY BATTERIES,NIPPON G-REDUCTION STARTER,PARTS ON BENCH FRX,HPX.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Elder User

petrokiller has a good reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a good reputation on FTE.petrokiller has a good reputation on FTE.
No personal experience, but a friend loves his Roll n Lock. Been on his F150 years and always stays dry in the bed.

Just priced one for my Dad at $1495 installed. The other Back Flip mentioned was next the shop recommended to me. Think it was $895.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
This is what (and why) I did on my Mark LT.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/88...bed-cover.html
Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 PM