Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 f150 xlt air bag

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Pequeaford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 f150 xlt air bag

My air bag light is blinking. Figure it's a blink code. It blinks four times that's it. There's no second flash. Anyone know where I could find the codes or what the code means.
Thanks, jesse

Old 01-25-2014, 10:05 PM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
sounds like an srs issue. not sure if yours is obd2 or obd1 or not. But i know on the obd2 you can pull srs codes depending on the scanner. I do it at work all the time. either that, or it may just be a check light if the vehicles been in an accident i know that light will go on n flash sometimes.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Pequeaford
Junior User
I had replaced the radiator core support not all that long ago. Also it's obd1. Thanks for the help. Also the lights always been on just never flashing

Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Should return two digit codes based on what I see.

Are you sure its not flashing "22" rather than "4"?

flash/flash |brief separator pause| flash/flash

rather than,

Flash/flash/flash/flash

If so,

22 = Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage

I find nothing so far for code 4.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
4 blinks is probably Code: 13 Airbag circuit shorted to ground. Here I found this. Someone may want to put it someplace for future reference.

'94-96 Airbag Circuit & Codes
IF THE IMAGE IS TOO SMALL, click it.

The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) continually monitors all supplemental air bag restraint system components and wiring connections for possible faults in the system. If the air bag diagnostic monitor detects a fault in the supplemental air bag restraint system when the key is in RUN, a diagnostic trouble code will be displayed on the air bag indicator, located in the instrument cluster (10849). Performing system diagnostics is the main purpose of the air bag diagnostic monitor.

Note: The air bag diagnostic monitor does not deploy the air bag in the event of a crash.

The LH and RH primary crash sensors (attached to the core support behind the grille) are hard wired to the air bag; therefore, the LH and RH primary crash sensors and RH safing sensor (at the base of the RH B-pillar) determine when to deploy the air bag.

Features and functions of the air bag diagnostic monitor are described below.

* The air bag diagnostic monitor illuminates the air bag indicator for approximately six seconds when the key is in RUN and then turns the indicator off. This shows that the air bag indicator is operational. If the air bag indicator does not illuminate or the indicator stays on or flashes at any time, a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.
* Diagnostic trouble codes may not be displayed for approximately 30 seconds after the key is placed in RUN. This is the amount of time the air bag diagnostic monitor requires to perform all tests and verify system faults, if present.
* Each diagnostic trouble code (a series of flashes and pauses of the air bag indicator) represents a two-digit number. Each diagnostic trouble code is always displayed at least twice. For example, a diagnostic trouble code 32 is displayed as three flashes, followed by a one-second pause, then two flashes, followed by a three-second pause.
* If a system fault is present and the air bag indicator is malfunctioning, an audible tone will be heard, indicating that system service is required. The tone is a series of five sets of five beeps. This does not indicate a diagnostic trouble code 55. If the tone is heard, the air bag indicator is inoperative and a system fault that requires service is present.

CAUTION: The thermal fuse does not blow (open) because of excessive current flowing through it. DO NOT attempt to jumper out the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker or any other type of fuse.
* If a fault exists that makes unwanted air bag deployment possible, the air bag diagnostic monitor has an internal thermal fuse that will blow (open) automatically. This removes all power to the air bag deployment circuit.
* The air bag indicator will flash the appropriate diagnostic trouble code to indicate the suspect circuit. If the indicator is malfunctioning the tone will be heard.
* Diagnostic trouble codes are prioritized numerically so if two or more different faults occur at the same time, the fault having the highest priority will be displayed first. After that fault has been corrected, the next highest priority fault will be displayed.
* The air bag diagnostic monitor includes an internal backup power supply. This feature provides sufficient backup power to deploy the air bag in the event the battery or battery cables are damaged in an accident before safing and primary crash sensors close. The backup power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after the positive battery cable is disconnected.

Airbag DIagnostic Monitor (ADM) Light Flash Code (LFC) Priority Table

Tone (5 Beeps Repeated 4 Times): Air Bag Indicator Open Circuit with Stored Fault Code(s)
No Air Bag Indicator (Dash Light Out): Inoperative Indicator Circuit or No Battery Voltage to ADM
Continuous Air Bag Indicator: ADM Disconnected or Inoperative
12: Low Battery Voltage
13: Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14: Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Shorted to Ground
21: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage
23: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
24: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Feed/Return Circuit Open
32: Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
34: Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
41: RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
42: LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
44: RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45: LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51: ADM Internal Thermal Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52: Backup Power Supply Voltage Boost Fault
53: Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuits Resistance to Ground or ADM Fault
Rapid Continuous Flashing (No Fault Code): All Primary Air Bag Sensors Disconnected

Old 01-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Pequeaford
Junior User
It's most likely a 4-4 code. RH sensor not mounted right. Since I replaced the core support. I'll see what I can do to fix it. Does the computer do a check every time the key is cycled. I noticed it drivin and didn't reall spend the time to pay attention to the length of the pauses.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:20 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pequeaford
It's most likely a 4-4 code. RH sensor not mounted right. Since I replaced the core support. I'll see what I can do to fix it. Does the computer do a check every time the key is cycled. I noticed it drivin and didn't reall spend the time to pay attention to the length of the pauses.
Yes the system does a self test each key cycle to check for trouble, system ready or disable it flashing light either way based on what it finds during the process.

If problem started right after you replaced the core support then code pertaining to sensor in that area would be highly suspect, missing, mounted wrong, left unplugged, bad connection etc. Verify the code too though, reason for my original post was to get you to re think the way the code was being displayed, 22 was an example, not so cut and dried as simply "4 flashes", probably more to it than that if you look again.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check that the sensor is grounded real good to the core support. The bolts are green for a reason... they are trying to tell you it's a grounding point. I'd pull it back off and clean the metal up where the bolt makes contact with the bracket, and also make sure the threads are clean and shiny.

Also... no you cannot read airbag codes with a scanner on these trucks, not even the OBD2 models.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran into one wkere the front sensor bracket was grounded but the actual sensor "case" had rust between it and the bracket.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Pequeaford
Junior User
I got a 4-4 code I'd looked this mornin I'd also figured out why. The ground between the chassis and the support isn't connected. Also I need to do some other stuff to it yet. Thanks yall

Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Pequeaford
Junior User
I'd hooked the ground clamps up between the support and the frame and tightened the sensors down more and the codes gone. Thanks yall