Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: Mecum auction broadcasts vs. Barrett Jacksons

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Senior User

james G. phillips is starting off with a positive reputation.
OT: Mecum auction broadcasts vs. Barrett Jacksons

I miss the Speed channel collector car shows and the Barrett Jackson auctions they had on there. I heard the new Fox channel bought out the Speed channel and they have canceled a lot of the collector car shows they had on there. I recently found the Mecum auctions on the new Esquire channel. The last few days it was on there and then yesterday on the NBC sports channel. One thing I don't like about the Mecum broadcast, is they sometimes go to the next car before you get to see the final bid on the previous car. Plus many of the cars don't make the reserve price. Barret Jackson's auctions were no reserve. That being said, it seems Mecums cars usually bring a more affordable price than Barret Jacksons. Some the last few days looked like real bargains. I think if I were in the market to buy a collector vehicle, I would choose Mecum. Any of you have any thoughts on the subject?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Actually Fox had extensive coverage of Barrett- Jackson. You had to watch Fox sports 1&2, Fox & National Geographic to get it all. I think they had something close to 100 hours of coverage, I ended up watching about 50. Thought they did a pretty good job. I haven't seen how NBC is doing with Mecum yet.
2013 Taurus (Ginger)
2015 Escape (Rusty)
Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Elder User

toby tough is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also watched the two auctions. Some pretty sweet rides goin there. I was kinda bummed about Mecums moving on to the next car thing too. They did say later how much it went for tho. I didn't have too much time to watch but they were both good.That one salon car impressed me with the 14 liter engine.Then the little tiny one with three wheels. My riding mower has more displacement. HaHa.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:14 AM
Senior User

james G. phillips is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1 View Post
Actually Fox had extensive coverage of Barrett- Jackson. You had to watch Fox sports 1&2, Fox & National Geographic to get it all. I think they had something close to 100 hours of coverage, I ended up watching about 50. Thought they did a pretty good job. I haven't seen how NBC is doing with Mecum yet.
I missed it. The Speed channel always announced the Barrett Jackson dates in advance so you would know when it was going to be broadcast.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Postmaster

19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of
I've caught a few of the more recent Mecum auctions and I like them. I think they keep the cars moving across the block and I get to see more of them in the amount of time I am watching. I also like how Mecum uses the grid once it comes off the block to display the car for a few more minutes. Generally you can see the big screen behind it with the current bid and some other details displayed although just for a few seconds. I prefer Mike Joy and the Speed crew but the new guys are growing on me. I didn't see much of BJ this year because of it hopping around on different stations. In the past I didn't look up the listing...you knew if it was Barret Jackson weekend and could just flip on the TV to the Speed Channel and Voila! Cars and more cars. I did that this year and some other programming was on so I figured it wasn't going to be televised. I think it was late Saturday before I stumbled across it on another channel and they were getting ready to move coverage over to NatGeo. Anyway, it's not like I have to pick and can enjoy only one auction. I still like BJ but Mecum is a nice change of pace.

54 F100
01 F150
Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM