Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Senior User

Patchy 73 has a good reputation on FTE.Patchy 73 has a good reputation on FTE.
Query on exhaust

Hi All,
There is a truck up my way that sounds really throaty. I bumped into him today and asked him what exhaust system he was running, he said he's not, he has just removed the muffler
Is this good or bad for the motor, I'm not technically minded so I'll just put the question out there

Cheers,
Patchy
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
I tried it but it did my head in - too loud! I'm running a 4" turbo back system with 2 'Hurricane' mufflers now.

If you have the Ford Australia turbo downpipe fitted you could delete the muffler. Any good exhaust shop could do it - they just make up a 3.5 inch diameter 'muffler delete' pipe.

No adverse knock-on affects on the engine/turbo from this that I'm aware of - in fact it would be an improvement as your EGT should drop with the removal a slight restriction. The problem is that the main restriction is the FA 2.5 inch downpipe which sits between the 3.5in turbo outlet and the stock 3.5in exhaust!
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Diesels don't run "closed loop" like petrol engines, so you can do whatever you like to the exhaust as soon as it leaves the engine and it won't know any difference (unless its a new diesel with DPF). As Simon mentioned, the more flow/larger the exhaust after the turbo the better.

On my 7.3, I had a 4" dump/straight pipe from the turbine housing that exited just behind the cab (before the rear wheels). It sounded mean, and I am pretty sure there was permanent hearing damage caused to anyone following me in a tunnel when I downshifted. I didn't find the noise annoying at normal cruise, but as soon as it got under load it was too loud for continuous use - I didn't do any towing, but long uphill stretches were a bit of a pain.

If you do any towing, I would definitely suggest a muffler - but even running it behind the rear wheels would help a lot.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 AM
Senior User

Brad from Oz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Brad from Oz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So Ford Aust put a step down restrictor pipe straight off the back of the exhaust housing?

Wow - let me guess, these utes are slow to spool up and they suffer high EGT's, possibly even cracked exhaust housings or tip rubbed, over temped exhaust wheels?

The goal is to have a step up diameter pipe straight off the housing, this stops the exhaust gasses spinning and gets them flowing properly. So that 4 inch dump sounds good
Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigF350 View Post
Diesels don't run "closed loop" like petrol engines, so you can do whatever you like to the exhaust as soon as it leaves the engine and it won't know any difference (unless its a new diesel with DPF). As Simon mentioned, the more flow/larger the exhaust after the turbo the better.

On my 7.3, I had a 4" dump/straight pipe from the turbine housing that exited just behind the cab (before the rear wheels). It sounded mean, and I am pretty sure there was permanent hearing damage caused to anyone following me in a tunnel when I downshifted. I didn't find the noise annoying at normal cruise, but as soon as it got under load it was too loud for continuous use - I didn't do any towing, but long uphill stretches were a bit of a pain.

If you do any towing, I would definitely suggest a muffler - but even running it behind the rear wheels would help a lot.
Might have a play with this I got twins out the back of mine so it should not be to noisy from the cab

Cheers,
Patchy
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Patchy, check your turbo down pipe. If it is the crap FA 2.5" one the best $wise way to get an improvement in all aspects would be to swap the FA pipe out - which is easy if you cut it out, and replace that section with a 3.5" DP to hook-up to your existing system.
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 AM
Senior User

I got a 3"DP with this tag

Now you got me a little confused, Lot of mention of the FA DP,
so where does the Brazil one fit in the grand scheme of things
Still learning things about my truck

Cheers,
Patchy
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Posting Guru

Looks like a picture of a tail pipe there, looking up from the ground, yep 100% pure Brazilian no doubt about it - you can tell cause there's no hair !

You have to work your way forward and check where the exhaust goes up past the footwell on the way to the turbo, that's where the Down Pipe lives. That is where you'll find the FA DP - a lot of welded pieces choking it down to 2.5"

So you have a twin system hanging off the back of your stock Brazilian tailpipe?

This picture shows the FA DP above the stock Brazilian tailpipe - the little strangle box is clearly visible.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Posting Guru

Here is a picture of the MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust I bought of Clay and shipped over USAtoAUS. The pipe on the lower left is the muffler delete pipe (I wish I bought the muffler now).

The 4" DP ended up being very hard to fit and had to be dented into submission - so much so that I think I may have had a better result getting a 3.5" DP into a 4" exhaust.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Senior User

The shot was taken just before it up sweeps
to the turbo ,directly under the fire wall
DP 3.5 will be the way I go, thanks for the info

Cheers,
Patchy
Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
A 3.5" DP will be the way to go. My firewall was "massaged" to fit the 4" DP on my 7.3

My current 6.7 (which is a quieter engine than the 7.3 anyway) has a 4" straight pipe, and sounds good (not too loud). It exits after the rear wheel.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
a bit OT but how the 6.7L Adrian ??? very interested from someone who has Aussie experience. Maybe a fresh thread. Oh and we like pics
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Senior User

Diesel Submariner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
MODED EXH

G'day Patchy,

There's a good discussion on this subject on the tread "MODED EXHAUST" on page 5 of this Aussie Chapter forum.

Worth a read through as most of us have been through this saga.

Cheers,
Reg
Aussie spec 2005 (US 2003) F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr Powerstroke: PHP FU2 6 Posín Chip,6 x ISSPRO Guages, AIS Intake, Zoodad, Hutch'd ní Harpoon'd. Cowl Hood, AIH Delete, CCV, RiffRaff FRx,HPx,OCR, JWVB. ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler + Stock Tranny cooler, ARB Bull Bar. Long Range Fuel Tank,VMS in Dash GPS Nav.OME Suspension & Dual Tower Shocks, MOOG Ball Joints. GVWR (GVM) Upgrade to 5,000Kg (F350+).
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Internet Brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder View Post
a bit OT but how the 6.7L Adrian ??? very interested from someone who has Aussie experience. Maybe a fresh thread. Oh and we like pics
I think I can oblige
Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Submariner View Post
G'day Patchy,

There's a good discussion on this subject on the tread "MODED EXHAUST" on page 5 of this Aussie Chapter forum.

Worth a read through as most of us have been through this saga.

Cheers,
Reg
Thanks for that Reg, Whish I found it earlier a good read
The only hassel I seem to going to have is finding someone in Cairns willing to do the fit

Cheers,
Patchy
Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM