JWVB

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JWVB

Guys,
I am having my JWVB and BD Trans Sump put on next week. I am having a gearbox do it due to having to go back to work, so no real time.

The bloke at the gearbox shop suggested that I do not put it in as it will destroy my box. Thoughts on that?? He said I would be better of putting a superchips on and modify the transmission changes that way. That is not the way I want to go with things.

Anyone running a JWVB, Simon, Brian, Bryan etc, can you let me know if you have had any issues running the JWVB and changing the gearbox pressures etc.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Wallsy, why am I surprised yet again us guys on this forum know more about PSD 7.3's than just about anyone in Australia?

1) The JWVB will SAVE your transmission by sending more pressure to the trans clutches thereby reducing slip & heat build up - John Woods is the world's foremost expert on 4R100 transmissions - this reputation is built on practical experience and skin in the game - he makes and sells these units - if they were sub-standard or caused failures he would have been out of business years ago. In fact, the reason that he is still in business is because his VB works. To such an extent that tuners offer off-the-shelf tunes for stock engines with 2 commons mods 1) GTP38R turbo (which you have); and 2) JWVB (which you're getting)!

Second point: Superchips is what I'd classify as a 1st-gen tuner - the unit has memory and re-flashes your truck's computer with some pretty basic tunes - which do change the trans shift points. 2nd gen tuners actually add memory and allow a number of customs tunes which are proprietary to the tuner supplier (e.g. DP tuner). 3rd gen tuners add more memory so can hold more tunes and tunes are 'open source', downloadable from the Internet, and can be adjusted by any techo with enough skills to undertake the tweaks. My personal take on this is that currently the Power Hungry Performance (PHP) tuner is on/near the top of the pile. I don't play with the tunes as the PHP site had tunes for my truck's stock set up with JWVB.

Superchips is outdated now, wouldn't touch it again other than I use my unit for a DTC reader as my 2nd Insight CS multi-gauge has failed - I used the Superchips to make sure my truck's OBDII port was still OK - which it is.

Obviously your gearbox shop will use good quality ATF, and fit a new pan gasket and trans filter when they do the c/o for you. I'd recommend buying a 20L drum of your chosen ATF (I used Nulon ATF at Brian recommendation - which has been great for 18 months so far) - the stock pan needs about 16L, your big pan will probably use the entire 20L drum!

I actually enjoy the feel of the firmer shift of the JWVB - the truck give a little surge at shift, you can feel the trans clutches 'clutching' - the JWVB stops it feeling like a slush-box!

Regards!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Simon,

Thanks for the speedy reply mate. The bloke asked me if it was a Bully dog system in which I replied WTF?? I told him it was a JWVB in which he replied, a Who??? Your reply just confirmed his lack of knowledge regarding performance parts for these vehicles, which I suspected, but wanted a second opinion. He went on to say that he has done 3 f trucks so far and all the customers have come back wanting the stock VB back in!! Maybe the VB he was putting in were not much chop.
Anyhow, I am moving forward putting in the JWVB. In my opinion it can only improve things as the box is just S$#t at changing gears at the present.

I also got a new Trans pan gasket and filter from the states, so he can not sting me on supplying these new parts. Just labour only, the way I like it.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
So far the only parts I've bought from the Ozzy dealer, pan gasket $80 and trans filter $70.
What ATF are you planning on using?
To date Brian has recommended Nulon, and submariner Reg has reported +tve on Castrol.

I guess the last thing is that if your tranny is shifting as bad as you say now, you should get your trans-tech to check the fluid that is drained off. Discolour or burning maybe OK, but if you find a lot of metallic sludge in there, it could be that there is already significant wear such that the JWVB won't save it.

One tell tale sign of a tranny just about to go out is if there is a big delay when shifting into reverse.

Have you noticed anything like that?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Simon,

Had it serviced twice last year with no metallic particles in the pan. Surprising the oil when first drained was really good. Shifting into reverse is all good, it picks it up straight away. I have the miss VE SS auto I am driving at present, so driving that and then getting in the f truck, they are like worlds apart shift wise.

As for the oil, I have no idea!! I will quiz him prior to dropping it off. Might look at getting him to put the Nulon in.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Further to what Simon said, the John Woods (and BTS) 4R100 transmissions are what any high performance diesel in the states gets, whether it is a Dodge, Chevy or a Ford - if they make enough power, they are eventually fitted with a Ford 4R100 transmission that has been sorted by one of those 2 shops - I would trust them.

As for fluid, any ATF that meets Mercon or Mercon V (Ford rating system) or Dextron 3 (GM rating system) should be fine. If it meets those ratings, it will have it on the side of the container, as they are the industry standards for ATF.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

This is why I do all my own work. Get the fool to do a google search. (has he heard of the world wide web??) The thousands of boys in the States that run the JWVB must be fools.
When you do go to a tuner you tell em that you have the valve body and they will tune to suit.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
JWVB

G'day Wallsy,

I must concur with Brian. Who ever is fitting those VBs is either doing something very wrong or is fitting some VBs other than a JWVB.
There are clowns out there that do the 'cOOn' mod to OEM VBs and market them as modified VB.

I put in a JWVB and changed to Castrol Transmax Z ATF and have never had an issue.
I tow heavy and mosty rough outback isoated tracks.

I as does Brian, do all my own work.
Believe me, dropping the pan, changing the filter and swaping out the OEM Vb for a JWVB is one of the easiest jobs/mods to do. Just need an in/lb torque wrench.

Chips/Tunes:
The PO had a Superchips tune programed into my truck.
I pulled it and put in an Edge Evolution for a while as it had the read outs on PIDs and could give me code reading via the dash mount.

However I eventually went with a PHP 6 Pos change on the fly FU2 Chip.
Believe me the difference between a Tune (Edge, Superchips etc ) and a proper custom 'CHIP' is cheese and chalk .

I would take large steps away from any canned tunes and especially Superchips.
These type of tunes (they are not chips) electronically increase fluid pressure which is really over working the ATF pump to push the fluid around faster between shifts with the OEM VB.
Where as a properly modified VB such as a JWVB has had the fluid galleries precisely re-engineered to allow faster fliud movement during shifts. This reduces friction and heat build up. The shifts are a little harsher, but that is what the moded VB are supposed to do.

My 2 bobs worth,

Cheers,
Reg

Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Soooo, I just pick up my truck form the auto shop and it is slamming into gear, like chirping the wheels material. You can feel the change thunk through the whole truck. Bloke at the auto shop reckons its going to wreck my box in no time. Is that how they are supposed to be. I have driven cars with modified VB,s before but nothing changed this hard between gears. Is this how your trucks change gears with the JWVB. Thoughts.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:34 AM
WA F250
Junior User
Hi Wallsy, Sorry I haven't installed my JWVB yet but have a suggestion. Have you tried removing your chip/tuner??? (if one is fitted?) Some increase line pressure to try and compensate for what a JWVB would do and thus you have twice the effect??? I maybe way off here but I would look to start here, it's only 2 small bolts to unplug and test???? I have been waiting on my HydraChip first so I can also remove my chip/tune at the same time. I have the X-Power (whatever that is) anyway GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
JWVB

Originally Posted by wallsy
Soooo, I just pick up my truck form the auto shop and it is slamming into gear, like chirping the wheels material. You can feel the change thunk through the whole truck. Bloke at the auto shop reckons its going to wreck my box in no time. Is that how they are supposed to be. I have driven cars with modified VB,s before but nothing changed this hard between gears. Is this how your trucks change gears with the JWVB. Thoughts.
G'day Wallsy,

No, no a JWVB does not make that sort of violent gear slammin' change.

They make more truck like firm shift.

As suggested by WA F250. Remove that canned tune and see what that does. Like I mentioned before some of these tunes increase the pump pressure.
A JWVB does not require an increase in pressure as it is all in the rejigged galleries.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Gents,
To my knowledge It has no chip that I know of. Well I didn't get one with the truck anyway, so I just assumed it was stock. What now if I don't have the tuner to re set things??

Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 AM
WA F250
Junior User
open up your computer cover (passengers side footwell) 2 x 6mm bolts from memory and if there is anything attached to the computer module remove it and test. When I purchased my truck I was unaware of my chip until a service mechanic found it while checking things over for me. If I can get a pic to load up I can show you exactly what a installed chip looks like. Or you can PM me email and I will forward the pic that way.
Note: be carful when retightening those 2x 6mm bolts as they will strip easily in the plastic!!! don't ask me how I know.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:28 AM
WA F250
Junior User
Pic is now uploaded in my Albums.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Thanks for that. Hope that this is the issue otherwise I have no idea and don't want to drive the truck through fear of doing damage to the box. If there is the left overs of a chip in the computer, can I just remove it and will the truck go back to the original factory settings. Then the JWVB would actually work I think.

Quick Reply: JWVB