6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HPOP Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM
jmcboots
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPOP Questions

Hi Y'all! Long time member, full time lurker.

So my truck broke down today, stalled as I approached a stoplight after filling the fuel tank. Cranks strong, but no start.

She is an '05 6.0 with about 240k on it.

I got it off the road with a little help and started looking around. When I checked the oil, she was off the stick low. This truck is never low on oil. I switched to synthetic / Rev-X when I got it (about 20k ago) as I have an on again off again stiction problem that actually has not shown too much of itself recently. Even with all the cold. I change it and filter every 5000 miles with the thought that constant clean new oil might help clean up these injectors... At least 'till I can replace the 1 or 2 that give me grief. So far I think it has been working. It is a minor stiction problem and once warm the truck is fine.

Till today.

Luckily my wife was shopping around the corner. Got some more oil, topped it off, and tried again. No dice. Crank, no start. Luckily I also I had the computer (Auto Enginuity) in the truck with me so I put it on and start poking around. FICM is good at 48+ ICPR 85% but I am getting no more than 50-70 lbs on the ICP. "Bingo" I say to myself, as I know it should be 10x that to start.

Called a tow truck, had them bring it home.

So I am now delving into HPOP debugging land and find I am lacking in a good understanding. And since its so dang cold, even here in SC, I am taking my time on research.

I am hedging my bet on a leak somewhere, since the old girl is low on oil, but there are no drippy leaks anywhere, so its likely internal, is my guess. I am not sure if this truck has had the STC fitting job done or not. I know the EGR has been done though, dude who owned her before me was a mechanic and was reasonably thorough. But I do not think he did that fitting . So that is one point of failure. As is the HPOP itself. Especially so I am thinking since it went low on oil. But only a quart or so, so hopefully not.

Then there is all the ICP, ICPR, etc stuff that I am in the process of learning about now. I will like try to pull the ICP plug and try to start it tomorrow or Sunday when I figure all that out and I get some time to look at it next. Then move on to the pushing some shop air into the system through the ICP fitting based on a few threads / videos I have seen, and see if the air comes out anywhere.

Am I going down the right path? Is there something else I should be looking at as well? I am thinking of pulling out the video/camera out and recording some of this and uploading my debugging sessions to help some others. Is there anything I should be paying close attention to?

Unrelated, (I think) but I should also probably mention; I have an iffy fuel sender. Goes hay wire now and then. But thats a pricey gadget, and I really havn't felt like it was annoying enough to drop the tank thus far. I just reset the trip meter at every fill. At the last tank of fuel, which was about 2 tanks after a fuel filter change, I started getting a "water in fuel" complaint every now and again. There was no discernible change in performance so I have not though much of it. And its not like water in the filter is going to drop the truck dead in a heart beat, so I am thinking not related to the current problem. Other than that, she is a good truck with few probs.

I love reading these debug threads, so I guess this will be my first one!

Thanks!
John

Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Sounds like the WIF is unrelated. Corrosion and junk in the HFCM manifold can cause that.

Have you confirmed that there are no external oil leaks?

Common issues w/ 05 and up are STC fitting (as you mentioned) and leaking dummy plugs. Standpipes and leaking injector o-rings can also cause some issues w/ HPO pressure.

Have you been monitoring the coolant and oil temps?

How does the coolant in the degas bottle look?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 PM
jmcboots
Freshman User
Coolant looks good, though I am probably coming due to change that soon. Degas bottle is clean as a whistle. I have not noticed any issues on temps on the dash gauges.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the way it just up and died, i think is one of 3 things. IPR stuck open, original STC fitting failed or no oil in the hpop intake. 1st I would verify the LPOP by cranking it with the filter removed to verify oil flow. If oil flow is present, remove the IPR and check if the screen is intact. If it is ripped and pushed in it is a good change the IPR is the issue. If the screen is intact I would still remove it and blow it out with compressed air while pushing in on the plunger with a small screw driver. I had my IPR catch open with having an intact screen 3 times before I found my HPOP intake screen was ripped and had casting debris in the bottom of the valley. Try reinstalling cleaned IPR and see if the ICP comes around. If still nothing I would personally tear into it and check the STC. 70 PSI is pretty low for a dummy plug or stand pipe, especially without having any no hot start problems leading to it.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
How low on oil was it?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 PM
jmcboots
Freshman User
Thanks fordman!

It was about a quart, quart and half low.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
I doubt that had much to do with your problem.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
jmcboots
Freshman User
With triggering the problem you mean? I was nervous at first, but when it only took a quart or so, MAX was two, then I was thinking that has to be an effect not a cause.

But it is definitely out of the norm.

After I filled it, I was thinking maybe the ICP pressure would be bouncing around some as it would be trying to pump up, but have air in the system. Does that seem about right? Or is the HPOP not all that fussy with air in the system? And certainly it would run.

As far as trying to run, my guess is the computer is not letting it run since the ICP is not coming up. My understanding is the computer wants like 100 RPM and 500 lbs before it will allow the injectors to fire. Do I have that right?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
yes . the computer needs to see 100 rpms and 500 psig. You have a HPO issue. The oil loss may or may not be related.

Oh - btw - the dash temperature gauges are meaningless. How are you reading the ICP value?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 PM
intofire56
New User
For what it's worth. ... I have 2005 6.0 mileage 80,000. TRIP 1:- oil in coolant (changed out EGG since they where in that far) ($$$) -towing 30' trailer the engine light came on...
TRIP 2: (towing also) 30 miles from home (engine light) fuel injection computer (FICM) ($$)..left next day after repair for Idaho. .. returning, while in Nevada, ..same as you -strong crank no start...too long of story in how we got it all back to home (CA) but it was the high pressure oil pump ($$$)

All this within 2 months (2012)

Be bless that your truck had high mileage on it. I just hope that will be a dream for me!

My error was having a commute vehicle so the truck was not use as much...so all this would have been covered under warranty 😬

Ford told me "hit the road Jack" truck age too old to help with repairs.

Good Luck

Rick

Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
Could be, but this doesn't sound like a HPOP leak, what was the ECT & EOT when it stalled? 05 has the good HPOP. STC is around $65 and three days labor for me. See if it fires up in the morning, if it don't start like normal quit trying it's not going to and you'll kill the batteries.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I vote STC fitting since it died while driving.

Dummy Plugs are certainly an offender as well, if it starts fine cold then that's where you should be looking. If not, look at replacing the STC.

Standpipes and oil rail o-rings are culprits, but not likely.

Blown LPOP or trash on the IPR is certainly a possibility.

If the idiot oil gauge shows pressure during crank, the LPOP is fine.

You'll spend more to gather fittings to air check the system and would just be ahead of the game to just get an STC kit (which includes a new IPR screen) and a set of Dummy plugs and replace both at the same time.

Josh

Josh

Old 01-25-2014, 01:20 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember,, have you tried to unplug the icp??? Do you have .22-.26 icpv at koeo???

Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 AM
bodywerks
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fal-308-Win
Could be, but this doesn't sound like a HPOP leak, what was the ECT & EOT when it stalled? 05 has the good HPOP. STC is around $65 and three days labor for me. See if it fires up in the morning, if it don't start like normal quit trying it's not going to and you'll kill the batteries.
Three days!?!?!? I'm in the middle of a top end teardown on my truck, including replacing the STC. The HPOP cover is accesible just by removing the turbo(and associated plumbing and pedestal). That's 2 hours max for the shadetree mech. Then an hour to pop the HPOP cover, remove pump, do the fitting, and reinstall.
Of course that is all hind-sight for me now. It took me a little longer than that just because im also doing an oil cooler, egr delete, turbo back exhaust, power steering pump, serpentine belt, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjo fittings, new air filter, and CCV reroute. Between work(nightshift at that) and kids Im stretched for time, but I will still have it all done in 6 days without having had more than a few hours at a time to be able to work on it.
To the OP, STC or stuck IPR most likely.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bodywerks
Three days!?!?!? I'm in the middle of a top end teardown on my truck, including replacing the STC. The HPOP cover is accesible just by removing the turbo(and associated plumbing and pedestal). That's 2 hours max for the shadetree mech. Then an hour to pop the HPOP cover, remove pump, do the fitting, and reinstall.
Of course that is all hind-sight for me now. It took me a little longer than that just because im also doing an oil cooler, egr delete, turbo back exhaust, power steering pump, serpentine belt, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjo fittings, new air filter, and CCV reroute. Between work(nightshift at that) and kids Im stretched for time, but I will still have it all done in 6 days without having had more than a few hours at a time to be able to work on it.
To the OP, STC or stuck IPR most likely.
My Goodness Young'un, you certainly have strong opinions about situations you Know absolutely nothing about ( mine )!
FYI, I'm 62 years old and have been in the Building Construction industry for 40 years. When you reach my age and have had my Life's experience lets see how quick you jump up on top of that 6.0. And you'll also have to Fit in an Overhead roll up garage door repair
On your home

Quick Reply: HPOP Questions