Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

we need an f150 diesel and fast!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by khensley
You betcha it would sell.....what percentage diesel 3/4 and 1-tons ever haul more than momma's groceries, or tow more than a jetski? Yes, it's obviously more in some places than others... but that's reality.
I'd disagree with that, at least in TX. Yes, there are some pavement queens, sure... but quite a lot of the PSD SDs around here quite obviously do work - and it shows.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Austin J.
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those that are going to buy diesel to be a pavement queen are going to continue to buy the SD anyway. If they want to use diesel as a status symbol they aren't going to get a "wimpy" 1/2 ton even if it is diesel.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Schlava
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I disagree. My f350 doesn't pull anything more than a 15 foot enclosed trailer. I bought it for one reason. It's a diesel. It has nothing to do with "status" I feel that diesel is a far superior and efficient power plant. Power should be produced down low and that's what a diesel does(I'm no expert it's just my opinion). If ford made a f150 diesel I would have bought that instead. That trans is more friendly. The ride is more friendly. But I give that all up so I can have a diesel. With that being said. I'm taking a hard look and a lot of test drives of the dodge eco diesel when it comes out. I need nothing more than a 1500 and they provided an option to meet consumer demand. So no I won't continue to buy a SD any way. Another mfg has met my demand and I may swing that way...and we are a ford family my dad isn't happy I'm even suggesting it!.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
There is always a niche audience you can never please. Ive seen many people leave Ford for another brand for one reason or another. For some reason they always find their way back to the Ford House.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Austin J.
Senior User
I agree that diesel is a superior fuel, but the ecoboost puts out more power, will most likely have equivalent or better fuel mileage in the 2015, will be of equivalent or lower purchase price, and is guaranteed to be cheaper to maintain and operate. It most likely will be near the same durability. I can't see any justification to move to a diesel 1/2 ton.

Several years ago I would have been die hard behind diesel, but after seeing all the regulation on diesel and the amount of money put into the ecoboost I see no reason Ford should do a 1/2 ton diesel anytime soon. I definitely don't want them to fart out a diesel that won't be any good at all. They need to do many years of research, design, and testing before offering diesel 1/2 tons.

Edit: I don't think a 15' trailer puller is quite the pavement queens we are referring too. You can load a 15' to the point of needing a 1 ton easily.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Schlava
I disagree. My f350 doesn't pull anything more than a 15 foot enclosed trailer. I bought it for one reason. It's a diesel. It has nothing to do with "status" I feel that diesel is a far superior and efficient power plant. Power should be produced down low and that's what a diesel does(I'm no expert it's just my opinion). If ford made a f150 diesel I would have bought that instead. That trans is more friendly. The ride is more friendly. But I give that all up so I can have a diesel. With that being said. I'm taking a hard look and a lot of test drives of the dodge eco diesel when it comes out. I need nothing more than a 1500 and they provided an option to meet consumer demand. So no I won't continue to buy a SD any way. Another mfg has met my demand and I may swing that way...and we are a ford family my dad isn't happy I'm even suggesting it!.
To be perfectly blunt, if you bought a diesel because it's a diesel, knowing:
that fuel costs are higher and will quite likely stay that way
that the current diesels have fairly substantial maintenance issues
that recurring maintenance (oil changes, etc.) will be substantially more expensive

And you don't have certain circumstances like:
needing to maintain fuel compatibility
producing your own biodiesel
racing/tuning

Then it's solely a matter of personal preference. A diesel isn't a superior powerplant for your application - it's more expensive, with bigger maintenance issues, more noise, etc. And you're sacrificing quite a few other things - ride comfort, etc. - to get it.

You bought a diesel because you wanted a diesel, and that's fine. But you're going to have a very hard time selling me on the fact that it's "superior" for your needs.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Modern diesels scare me. With all the equipment needed to please the EPA added, the famous diesel reliability is compromised.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redford
Modern diesels scare me. With all the equipment needed to please the EPA added, the famous diesel reliability is compromised.
And, at the same time, the gas motors have come a long way. We are about to trade in a 2010 from the fleet... by the time the replacement gets here (scheduled for build 2/17), it will have 220K on the clock. It has a couple minor issues, but the motor and transmission are still as strong as ever.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Schlava
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yea it's not superior for my needs. In fact way overkill! When I say superior I just meant that I've always felt diesels were a much better power producing plant..not based on anything other that my own opinion. It is totally personal preference. My wife has the older 6.0l in her escalade. I drive that sometimes wondering if i'd still like gas. That is a great motor. I just get scared of going back to a smaller motor. My horror story was a when i bought a 97 expedition. I went with the 4.6l and the rear was i think 3:55. It couldn't get out of its own way on uphills! Ever since then I've always been of the mind set more is better than less. Believe me I like fords alot better than anything else on the road. But when i test drove the Eco boost and diesel I just couldn't get that oily, smelly, loud motor outta my head! I had to have it!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
the website "the truth about cars" has a fresh article stating that Ford will put the 3.0L "lion" diesel engine in the F150 for a mid-cycle refresh sometime around 2018.

Ford Planning V6 Diesel For F-150, Super Duty Stays With Steel | The Truth About Cars

Not much in the way of detail, as usual that will be only a year or so ahead of the sale date.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I wonder why they would bother to develop an new 3.0, when they already have the 3.2???

Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
I don't know Stuart. The EcoBoost gas engines are more complex than some of your previous generation diesel engines, and to date reliability seems to be outstanding. Likewise the 6.7L Powerstroke is proving to be far more reliable than either of it's last two predecessors. And it's the most complex diesel engine yet!

I think diesel engines were famous for longevity, not reliability, in demanding commercial applications. But modern gas engines are challenging that presumption.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
I drive a box truck with all the DEF jazz, 111,000 miles, no issues. (except when someone put diesel in the DEF tank, but you can't pin that on the truck)

IMO people have been sold this bull^&8 that they have to have 1000 lb/ft of torque and 500 horse in a 3/4 ton pickup.

We have trucks with 4 cylinder 3.0L turbo diesel motors at work. 150 horse, 282 torque, like an old 300 six. They get great MPGs. They'd be great in a pickup. Would anyone buy them? No, they are too slow. They are really slow in the vans we have, but you get used to it.....

Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Austin J.
Senior User
Being able to easily overtake Camaros is really wonderful though.

The epa requirements don't particularly compromise the reliability as much as the mpgs and power that we could be getting out of diesels without the annoying equipment.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
I drive a box truck with all the DEF jazz, 111,000 miles, no issues. (except when someone put diesel in the DEF tank, but you can't pin that on the truck)

IMO people have been sold this bull^&8 that they have to have 1000 lb/ft of torque and 500 horse in a 3/4 ton pickup.

We have trucks with 4 cylinder 3.0L turbo diesel motors at work. 150 horse, 282 torque, like an old 300 six. They get great MPGs. They'd be great in a pickup. Would anyone buy them? No, they are too slow. They are really slow in the vans we have, but you get used to it.....:-X04
That's been my point all along. Great post sir.

Quick Reply: we need an f150 diesel and fast!