Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM
diamondrcattle diamondrcattle is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12
diamondrcattle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lucas Oil Stabilizer

You guys like it?? Worth using?? I see label says run their synthetic version. I am using John Deere 15w40 changing at 5k mls
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM
GHeTTo JOe's Avatar
GHeTTo JOe GHeTTo JOe is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 50450 IOWA
Posts: 801
GHeTTo JOe is starting off with a positive reputation.
our oil guy says if the oil company's wanted that stuff in the oil they would have added it, just what he has said.
__________________
2008 F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 Auto 6.4L H&S Black Maxx. 4" Straight Pipe. 295/65R20 Toyo Open Country A/T II XTreme. High Idle Uplifter Switch 152K Miles http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-250...ettojoe/292804
SOLD1994 F-250 Super Cab 4x4 E4OD 7.3L Ford Turbo IDI Banks 2.5" DP. Hypermax cowl air induction system. 193,000miles Straight Pipe. New Front Spring Shackles! Trip Gauge A Pillar Pod
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 90
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrcattle View Post
You guys like it?? Worth using?? I see label says run their synthetic version. I am using John Deere 15w40 changing at 5k mls
This is not a hijack nor is it a diesel although I have an 08 F350 w/ 6.4.

This is my personal experience with Lucas Oil Treatment:
I usually add the synthetic or the standard version of it to my wife's Camry at 5,000 mi oil change.
Since new the V-6 in her 07 Camry had what sounded like 'piston slap' aka some kind of knock. I thought it would go away with time, it didn't. Adding this to her oil, 1 qt, quietens it down to almost nothing, if I forget to ask for it at the dealership the knock comes back, the car has 180k and we bought it new in 06. I started adding it at about 75K+.

My 6.4 has 77K on it and I wouldn't hesitate using it unless I read somewhere to absolutely not use Lucas.

Whether there are actually any benefits in your situation diamondrcattle? That remains to be seen.
I am curious as to why you use John Deere brand in your truck other than having it on hand for your tractor(s).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Union, CT
Posts: 15,085
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe View Post
our oil guy says if the oil company's wanted that stuff in the oil they would have added it, just what he has said.
I agree with Joe.

And JR58, what do you think the Lucas did that made your Camry run better? It made the oil thicker which has been known to quiet down engines. You can accomplish the same thing by simply using thicker oil such as 10w30. I'm NOT a fan of Lucas, MMO, Slick50, or any other snake oil that's out there.
__________________
Tom,

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 90
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I agree with Joe.

And JR58, what do you think the Lucas did that made your Camry run better? It made the oil thicker which has been known to quiet down engines. You can accomplish the same thing by simply using thicker oil such as 10w30. I'm NOT a fan of Lucas, MMO, Slick50, or any other snake oil that's out there.
Tom I don't disagree with you there. Most of the additives out there I put in the same category as mouse milk. Thicker oil would probably make more sense. But at least Lucas is only about $11 a qt at Walmart
Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Union, CT
Posts: 15,085
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR58 View Post
Tom I don't disagree with you there. Most of the additives out there I put in the same category as mouse milk. Thicker oil would probably make more sense. But at least Lucas is only about $11 a qt at Walmart
Thanks for the input.
On a side note it's reassuring to hear your Camry is still doing well. My wife has an '11 Sienna with the same engine. We would love to see 200,000 miles out of it.
__________________
Tom,

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 PM
RM2738's Avatar
RM2738 RM2738 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 2,154
RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
My experience with Lucas additives...

I tried running their gas additive in my Dodge Hemi... Somehow my dog got into a bottle and drank a few ounces. I called Lucas to get an MSDS sheet and told them what happened... I was told the product is pure castor oil and my dog will just have the runs for a few days. I love telling that story at Auto Zone every time they try to upsell me at check out.
__________________
2010 F250 FX4 King Ranch 6.4L, SWB, 3.55 H&S Mini Maxx, S&B CAI, 4" Powerstroker67 downpipe, 4" aFe Exhaust, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5100's, Rancho Steering Stabikizer, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 PM
JR58 JR58 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 90
JR58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2738 View Post
My experience with Lucas additives...

I tried running their gas additive in my Dodge Hemi... Somehow my dog got into a bottle and drank a few ounces. I called Lucas to get an MSDS sheet and told them what happened... I was told the product is pure castor oil and my dog will just have the runs for a few days. I love telling that story at Auto Zone every time they try to upsell me at check out.
That is utterly priceless!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM
diamondrcattle diamondrcattle is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12
diamondrcattle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR58 View Post
This is not a hijack nor is it a diesel although I have an 08 F350 w/ 6.4.

This is my personal experience with Lucas Oil Treatment:
I usually add the synthetic or the standard version of it to my wife's Camry at 5,000 mi oil change.
Since new the V-6 in her 07 Camry had what sounded like 'piston slap' aka some kind of knock. I thought it would go away with time, it didn't. Adding this to her oil, 1 qt, quietens it down to almost nothing, if I forget to ask for it at the dealership the knock comes back, the car has 180k and we bought it new in 06. I started adding it at about 75K+.

My 6.4 has 77K on it and I wouldn't hesitate using it unless I read somewhere to absolutely not use Lucas.

Whether there are actually any benefits in your situation diamondrcattle? That remains to be seen.
I am curious as to why you use John Deere brand in your truck other than having it on hand for your tractor(s).
We buy it in bulk to run in tractors and combines. I feel its a very good oil. Some of the new tractors we run it in the engine Would cost more than my entire pickup is worth if we had engine issues and had to replace. I know its all a matter of opinion but we have run literally 10s of thousands of engine hours over the years with JD oil and not one issue yet. Thanks for everyone's replies.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2014, 08:24 PM
9228.bobcat's Avatar
9228.bobcat 9228.bobcat is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: missouri
Posts: 2,153
9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrcattle View Post
You guys like it?? Worth using?? I see label says run their synthetic version. I am using John Deere 15w40 changing at 5k mls
Why do you want to use this? Any specific reason?
__________________
Eric

2006 F350 Harley Davidson, Atlas 40 from Ed 4" lift belstein shox
Arp studs, sinister coolant filter, bullet proof egr cooler, 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe, ccv reroute, sct ts/ tunes gearhead, 10 vein turbo, updated dummy plugs/standpipes, stc fitting, blue spring 2005 King Ranch,2004 Excursion
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2014, 08:31 AM
diamondrcattle diamondrcattle is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12
diamondrcattle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat View Post
Why do you want to use this? Any specific reason?
No reason, I plan on keeping this truck a long time because it is my feed truck. A guy swears by it here, a diesel mechanic, and I was just curious. It's damned expensive I see.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 PM
9228.bobcat's Avatar
9228.bobcat 9228.bobcat is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: missouri
Posts: 2,153
9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.
I wouldnt use it personally. Maintained oil changes will get you alot further.
__________________
Eric

2006 F350 Harley Davidson, Atlas 40 from Ed 4" lift belstein shox
Arp studs, sinister coolant filter, bullet proof egr cooler, 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe, ccv reroute, sct ts/ tunes gearhead, 10 vein turbo, updated dummy plugs/standpipes, stc fitting, blue spring 2005 King Ranch,2004 Excursion
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lucas engine oil mac01 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 2 05-16-2014 06:23 AM
Engine oil dmanshane 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 10 08-28-2012 04:04 PM
1993 Ford-F-350 460 oil? blaze 57 Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) 1 03-11-2012 06:03 PM
john deere motor oils, just a thought F6Guy 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 11 03-11-2010 12:20 AM
Lucas 15w-40 anyone running it? BobsF350 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 10 03-12-2008 03:48 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup