1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removing front fenders

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by fabieber
One of the reasons I think the bolts came out so easily was a product an old friend introduced me to called "Kroil". You guys may be familiar with it but I wasn't. Before using some of my friends' Kroil I was certain I would never get the nuts off the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the tail pipe. I put some of the Kroil on one night and the next night the nuts came off with the ratchet even though there is little room to get leverage.
Here is some information on penetrating oil. This came from Bob's website.
Home made penetrating oil
The home brew of ATF and Acetone is great stuff.

I'm surprised no one has asked for pictures yet so I will. Pictures please.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Thanks Effie,

I will be very cautious. Do you have any idea what the weight of the clip might be? The radiator will be attached unless that's a bad idea.

I don't mind the reminders about being under things
It's not that heavy. I could stand between the inner fenders, grab under the air deflectors and pick it up by myself. (without the radiator or support) When I moved a friend of mine and I picked it up and shoved it into an E150 without any problem.

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
I pulled the front clip from my truck last weekend (I left the radiator and mount in the truck) On the 48-52 trucks the clip isn't aht heavy at all. I use a hand dolly to wheel it around. The biggest problem is the rear of the fenders wanting to flop all over the place. To move it with a dolly I put the dolly under the lower grill valance and then bungee cord a long 2x4 across the top of the dolly to support the back of the fenders. Then its no problem to wheel the thing anywhere you want to go

Bobby

Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang, this thread should have been here two months ago, LOL I'm stripping down my '49 F1 and pulled the fenders off and such piece by piece. Don't have a torch, so it was cut off wheel or grinder for 95% of the bolts. UGH

Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone who has removed the front clip on a 53-56 pickup you are probably laughing at my bolt count.
Last night I gave an accounting of how many bolts there are and where.
Today I found 4 more on each side. Three of the four are accessed from inside the truck and one on the very bottom of the cowl is removed from outside.
Front is now completely loose and I will lift it off tomorrow.

I can confirm that it was petty easy although I had a heckuva time with the two cowl bolts that are accessed from inside the engine bay and are down by the clutch peddle.
They were easy enough to reach and wouldn't have been difficult but they were exceedingly rusty compared to the others.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:26 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes one person can handle a front clip but it's much easier with help . Truly the easiest way to remove a nut and bolt that you don't want to save is to break it with an impact gun . And finally the absolute very best penetrating oil is the home made mix of ATF and Acetone .

Old 01-26-2014, 08:36 AM
flatheadkeith
Junior User
When I pulled mine off, I was really lucky. They were so far gone that I was not able to save them, so I cut them off piece by piece, and cut each bolt. There was a severe amount of "body work" that was attempted by the previous owner. Needless to say, he wasn't a professional. He ruined a half way decent pair of front fenders on my '49.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 PM
fabieber
Senior User

Test of my picture upload capabilities

Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 PM
fabieber
Senior User
So, my upload test worked. I want to post some pictures of my progress toward removing the front fenders but the size of the picture I uploaded seems a bit over the top.
Is it OK to post pictures of this size or can they somehow be reduced?

I am ready to post the pics but will wait for you guys to let me know what to do.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:14 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Looks like it's a good size to me. But it could be my settings.

Nice looking truck.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Thank you guys for all the help and encouragement. Looking back over my post from Saturday (after a long day) I can't believe how I spelled "peddle" (although after 2 hours removing 3 hard to reach bolts I actually thought about peddling Floyd!).

If you don't think the pictures are overbearing I will post a few from Floyd's arrival at my house up to his current condition.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM
fabieber
Senior User
I just attempted to load some more pictures and did but I have no idea where they went.

Will someone help me on how to get them sent to this thread? I did get the one to post but not sure how I did it.

Fred

Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 AM
1950FordF1
Senior User
I bought a grill at the Turlock swap meet this weekend. I wondered why anyone would torch the grill off.....now I know.
Good tip guys, I would not have known and fought this for days as other obviously have.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

I just attempted to load some more pictures and did but I have no idea where they went. Will someone help me on how to get them sent to this thread? I did get the one to post but not sure how I did it. Fred
If your pictures are too big the system will reject them. It doesn't tell you it did, they just don't show up.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Thank you Effie. The picture that posted was shot with a camera. The ones I tried to load were shot wit my phone.

Is it difficult to reduce their size?

Quick Reply: Removing front fenders