Sponsored by:

'85/'82 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pat420swed
A good friend of mine is actually at the owen sound Georgian twice a week for his gas tech course.Shame about the seats I realy need some! My back seat is perfect condition so it shouldn't need replacing anytime soon. One thing I could maybe use is a chrome rear bumper if ya got one in pretty decent shape
Small world eh! I've maybe met him up here, never know. I'll definitely keep an eye open for a good pair of seats for you. It's amazing the things I find sometimes.
I have a rear step bumper off the '85 that's in pretty reasonable shape. The chrome is nice and it has the XLT trim on it but the only flaw is that on the passenger side corner there's a little bit of blistering. Not really that noticeable if you're not looking for it. I'll get a picture of it for you this weekend when I go home.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds good! sounds like what im looking for.

ive got the chrome front bumper but had the grey rear bumper and I sandblasted it down last year and painted it grey with a silver flake, well I didn't read the paint and it wasn't rust proof at all even with a coat of primer underneath and now surface rust has eaten through all the paint already in 4 months and I took it off the road in October to store for the winter so it wasn't even from the salt in the winter just realy ****ty paint

so mines gonna have to be sandblasted again and repainted but I want a chrome one anyways so if you can a couple pictures thatd be great! wont be able to go buy it till the snows gone cuz ill have to use my bronco to come get it but itd be great if you could hold onto it for me! ill be keeping in touch with you anyways on this thread cuz ill be watching the build the whole way.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
just was looking throught the pictures. how bad was the trim off the 82? in some pics it looked bent in other kinda straight, if its decent and you havnt got rid of it I might be interested in it too

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by pat420swed
just was looking throught the pictures. how bad was the trim off the 82? in some pics it looked bent in other kinda straight, if its decent and you havnt got rid of it I might be interested in it too
I'll get some pictures of the bumper for you, it's not in the way or anything so I'll definitely hang onto it. The trim was just generic stuff you can buy on a roll from most parts stores. The chrome strip along the top side all the plastic clear coat and parts of the chrome had dried and flaked. The door guard further down was all bent up and peeling. Woulda looked really sharp when it was all done but between the accident and sitting in the sun it's pretty well toast.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
Awesome, to bad about the trim but I guess you can't expect cheap Plastic to last thirty years

Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Finally got some more progress pics. I've been working at the floors mostly while I'm home on weekends. This is on the passenger side, wasn't bad enough to warrant an entire pan so I made my own patch with my vise/sheet metal brake

My welds look pretty horrid in this picture but they're not that bad. I'll get some updated pics once I have them all dressed and painted.

Old one cut out and cleaned up underneath. Wasn't rusted out that bad but was right in the centre. Already had the pan so why not

New floor pan welded in

Dad and I kinda made a habit of hosing the firewall down with degreaser whenever we'd walk by. Next thing we knew it was clean. So I put a nice coat of satin black to it.

Next weekend will be finishing the floors and then onto the quarter panel. It's hard to tell but it's not too far from finish sanding and then to put it on the frame!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 PM
'86 F150
Senior User
Nice work on the floors. Firewall looks nice too.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep, everything looks great! I'm impressed.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Thanks guys, I still have to grind the welds down nice and put seam sealer on the seams top and bottom. Once I do that the seams are tight enough that they shouldn't even be noticeable - unless I take it to Pebble Beach

Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I thought about taking Dad's truck there when I'm done, but I'm not sure what they'd think of making passes on the beach in 4wd.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I thought about taking Dad's truck there when I'm done, but I'm not sure what they'd think of making passes on the beach in 4wd.
I think our fuel consumption alone would be enough to ruffle some feathers at that place, most of the engines there are measured in CC's. I understand there's a golf course there that is simply exquisite too. I'd love to toss some rooster tails off the sand bunkers with ya Gary!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Sounds like a plan.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Forget the beach man, do some donuts on that manicured lawn where they show the cars.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
Forget the beach man, do some donuts on that manicured lawn where they show the cars.
I like the way you think "Oops, my Bronco pooped on a Mer-cee-duss!"

Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Not sure I can do donuts in 4wd but if I get the rear walking sideways a bit, as it will do with the Kevlar clutches, it'll sure lay down 4 deep tracks. Will that suffice?

Quick Reply: '85/'82 build thread