Sponsored by:

'85/'82 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:50 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Not sure I can do donuts in 4wd but if I get the rear walking sideways a bit, as it will do with the Kevlar clutches, it'll sure lay down 4 deep tracks. Will that suffice?

I think that 351 will rock 'n roll pretty good Gary

Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'll bill it as a "Stroked 351M". If anyone asks I'll just say it was stroked 1/2". And I'll know if they are a Ford guru as they'll say "Wait! A 351M with a 1/2" stroke is a 400." Yep! But few M's will be documented with the kind of power this one is supposed to kick out - 500/500 according to Tim, but we'll see why the dyno says.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:09 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man you do that and we will see more blue hairs layin on the ground than there is at a greyhound track.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:21 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I'll bill it as a "Stroked 351M". If anyone asks I'll just say it was stroked 1/2". And I'll know if they are a Ford guru as they'll say "Wait! A 351M with a 1/2" stroke is a 400." Yep! But few M's will be documented with the kind of power this one is supposed to kick out - 500/500 according to Tim, but we'll see why the dyno says.
I should have said "351" sometimes the less people know, the more fun it is. That engine is going to hurt a lot of feelings on and off the asphalt!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Okay so I'm back from my "Reading Week" and finally have some updates. Progress is slow but it's starting to look like a real solid old rig

Once I got home I started back at the quarter panel again. Dad and I keep switching from one thing on the truck to the other to keep us from getting bored with it. The welding is finally done on the driver's side quarter. May have been further ahead to have bought a new one, but this one was free and I learned a LOT of patience while fixing it!

I like a challenge, so none of my patches (aside from the floors) are overlapped. I was able to dress both sides of the weld and I must be getting better because this one will need little or no filler to finish it.

For this patch I bought a panel made for a supercab and cut out what I needed. Cheap and exact same shape.

Then welded it in and dressed the welds nice and smooth. I'm pretty proud of this one and I'll see it every time I get in!

The dark spots in the pictures are small, light spots of surface rust that we wire wheeled out and put Loctite rust treatment on. Anything badly pitted was cut out. Lots of people think that stuff is voodoo but after 24 hrs it is hard stuff and really does seem to eat into the rust!

We got some sawhorses made up that are 39 inches tall so I can get underneath and clean everything up nice - more pics of that to come. It won't be quite this high but on 35s we figure it'll be close. My first taste of a lifted truck. Also hung the quarter on for a test fit.

Then came the spots in around the windshield frame. When we pulled the windshield trim off it was full of pine needles and leaves from the fence line where it was sitting for 6 years. This made a couple of spots soft but no big deal. So out came the cutting wheel!

This piece took a bit of time and patience with the body hammer and dolly but it fit the original perfect.

This one was further toward the center of the windshield. Remembered to take pictures once I cut it out...

Custom patch made in my bench vise sheet metal brake

Feels like I've been burning and grinding forever but it's starting to come together really nice. Going to be all steel when it rolls out!

Last edited by EffunFiddy; 03-03-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Spelling edit
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Looking good! You are right - you are going to see those spots every time you look at the truck. And you are going to be pleased.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Thanks! The plan is to have it running and driving this summer, maybe spring. Not sure when I'll have it road worthy though.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 PM
'86 F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great so far. Nice work on the patch panels. I think Im gonna break down and buy new quarters for mine. Mine would need a few more patches than those. Looking forward to the next update.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by '86 F150
Looks great so far. Nice work on the patch panels. I think Im gonna break down and buy new quarters for mine. Mine would need a few more patches than those. Looking forward to the next update.
Thanks. I've been keeping an eye on your Bronco build too, that's gonna be a bada$$ truck. Sharp looking '86 shorty you have there too. Love the 7th gens.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You're doing an amazing job, way more than I could do at your age, congrats!.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Encho
You're doing an amazing job, way more than I could do at your age, congrats!.
Thanks a lot! I have a lot of fun with these old trucks. I can't wait to drive it for the first time. Should be a fun truck with the driveline I have lined up for it

Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
'86 F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by EffunFiddy
Thanks. I've been keeping an eye on your Bronco build too, that's gonna be a bada$$ truck. Sharp looking '86 shorty you have there too. Love the 7th gens.
Thanks. Progress on mine is next to none because its so cold. Hopefully soon. Planning on building a 408w for the '84 short box in the future. Your flareside sounds tough and hauls a$$. I like the wheels on it too. I have 3 sets.
What are you going to run for a wheel combo on your bronco?

Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 PM
RoadKing13
New User
looks good .

Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by '86 F150
Thanks. Progress on mine is next to none because its so cold. Hopefully soon. Planning on building a 408w for the '84 short box in the future. Your flareside sounds tough and hauls a$$. I like the wheels on it too. I have 3 sets.
What are you going to run for a wheel combo on your bronco?
You won't regret the 408! They're just a whole lotta nasty. This year I'll be working on the suspension in my Flareside to try to get it to hook up. It's a hanful to keep straight. For the Bronco I'm keeping the factory steelies with beauty rings and centres unless I find a nice set of chrome 10 holes.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The only thing better is when the "M" is turned right side up.

Quick Reply: '85/'82 build thread