1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

LED Light bar W/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Bill97
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Light bar W/pics

My car headlights were almost non existent so I thought it would be a good time to test out a knock off LED light bar from Hong Kong. Best case scenario it works well and I will order a 50 inch for my truck worst case it sucks and I'm out 99 dollars. This is a post to test only the knock off one from China, I'm sure Rigids are much better and brighter and great that it's made in America, but for those of us that would like some extra light at a fraction of the price this may not be a bad way to go, as I could never justify $600.00 for the alternative.

My Little gas saver kicked the bucket the day the LED bar came in, so I hooked it up to my truck to see how it did. I'd say that it does not beam light much farther than my stock headlights, but the flood to see deer on back roads is much improved. Again this would have been 100% more light if it was mounted on my car as I intended. You cannot use this on populated roads as looking into it is blinding, but if you have to dodge deer on empty country roads it's helpful. I bet a 50inch bar would make it look like daylight.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted if they start collecting moisture or breakdown as time goes on.

Stock lights

Stock lights + 24inch LED light bar

Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Elder User
nice is it located low enough to be an effective fog light?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Bill97
Tuned
It would not work well in inclement weather. The light floods very quickly and would reflect everything back at you. Any light mist or fog would render it useless in my opinion.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Bill97
Tuned
It is mounted under my bumper

Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Elder User
that's interesting, makes sense the flood light would do that. My new job has me driving back roads around midnight. Thought those sounded cool. Hope they last for you.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Show us a view looking at the truck with them on if your camera can take it? I'm all for extra light. I use my KCs on the backroads and love it when they light up all the deer.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Nice! Definite improvement. I need to get more lights up front...

Old 01-24-2014, 07:42 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's nice. Amazing how much of an improvement it makes

Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM
terrylamar
Senior User
I have been thinking about adding a LED light bar to my big truck. I used to travel in Canada all the time with the occasional trip to Alaska. I still go to Alaska once or twice per year. Along the Alaska Highway, I have to deal with herds of Caribou, Woodland Bison camped out on the highway and bear and moose.

Many of the trucks that make this trip regularly, have LED light bars. When I first saw them before they crested the hill, it would like the sun was coming up. Of course, these road are remote and you might travel 50 or a 100 miles without meeting oncoming traffic.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have found one of the cheapest yet great quality lights to have put on a vehicle that are a great bang for the buck are Hella Optilux 2500's. They run around 40$ and they are pencil beams that will outshine my stock clear lens OBS lights. Literally can hardly tell when I turn on the headlights, and typically don't even run the headlights on the truck. I have them on 9 different trucks now and they are small enough I'm going to install them into the head ache racks for hooking up trailers and gooses, or just working on site in the bed.

Thought I'd share that. They come with everything to wire up and switches, been installed for 6 years on 11 trucks now and never had a problem. I'm not a big fan, but the angle eye effect sometimes is cool...

Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM
matts156
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my factory bulbs with HID units. They're a massive improvement over the incandescents. I can see reflectors over a mile away on open roads. They're not expensive either, I bought two replacement bulbs for 11 bucks and replacement ballasts are only 20. Haven't had any problems yet.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
pwjackson42
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
matts156 where did you get your parts at?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Bill97
Tuned
Originally Posted by mjunk1
Show us a view looking at the truck with them on if your camera can take it? I'm all for extra light. I use my KCs on the backroads and love it when they light up all the deer.
I will snap a pic this weekend. I've been driving my new 1981 VW diesel Caddy around so I have not had the truck.

Originally Posted by terrylamar
Many of the trucks that make this trip regularly, have LED light bars. When I first saw them before they crested the hill, it would like the sun was coming up. Of course, these road are remote and you might travel 50 or a 100 miles without meeting oncoming traffic.
I'm sure if you had the 50 inch mounted to your cab, it would be the same!

Originally Posted by nossliw
I have found one of the cheapest yet great quality lights to have put on a vehicle that are a great bang for the buck are Hella Optilux 2500's. They run around 40$ and they are pencil beams that will outshine my stock clear lens OBS lights. Literally can hardly tell when I turn on the headlights, and typically don't even run the headlights on the truck. I have them on 9 different trucks now and they are small enough I'm going to install them into the head ache racks for hooking up trailers and gooses, or just working on site in the bed.

Thought I'd share that. They come with everything to wire up and switches, been installed for 6 years on 11 trucks now and never had a problem. I'm not a big fan, but the angle eye effect sometimes is cool...
My buddy has a pair of them mounted to his Chevy. I would agree that for the money it's a great enhancement and well worth it. I just like the look of the LED bar for aesthetics, but I concede that the hella's throw more light down range.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:44 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by nossliw

Do you have any pics of them?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Bill97
Tuned
Originally Posted by mjunk1
Sorry took a while for me to have to get the truck out. The dusting of snow, and lack of plows ironically made me need 4 wheel drive. Couldn't even get up a hill without it. Guess I took plows and sand for granted living up north!

My camera can't focus from the front.

Little better view

Again I think the suggestion of some cheaper KC lights would be great, I just like the looks of this LED, and when somebody decides to leave their high beams on, I can fire back two fold.

Quick Reply: LED Light bar W/pics