Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Junior User

GondolaRides is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel leak=low boost???

so, i have a fuel leak going into the head on the pass side, could this effect boost and power ?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Junior User

also on another note, when im in my highway gear at 70 or so under normal cruising throttle its as though i have "downshifted" and when I hit it, it feels like it shifts up/lower rpms... its like the exact opposite of what should be happening.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GondolaRides View Post
so, i have a fuel leak going into the head on the pass side, could this effect boost and power ?
How bad is the leak? If it's really bad then I could see where it could cause a loss in power because you wouldn't build good pressure in that head, but that would have to be a pretty big leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GondolaRides View Post
also on another note, when im in my highway gear at 70 or so under normal cruising throttle its as though i have "downshifted" and when I hit it, it feels like it shifts up/lower rpms... its like the exact opposite of what should be happening.
So you're saying that the truck feels like it goes into a lower gear or the Torque Converter unlocks when you're just trying to maintain constant speed? Is the OD light blinking or CEL on? What happens if you apply more throttle, does the TC lock up then?

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Junior User

od light isnt blinking and no cel... I guess im not familiar with what the TC unlocking would feel like. Its hard for me to describe other than to say what i did above... Would the TC locking lower my rpms as though it were shifting into a higher gear? that is what happens when i apply more throttle its like a shift but not quite as many rpms as that... sorry if im not making sense...
Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
When the TC locks up it is more or less connecting the engine directly to the transmission. With it unlocked the engine drives the transmission but the TC allows them to be "uncoupled" because the fluid in the TC is what does the driving. What you should feel as you go up through the gears is the 1-2 upshift, the 2-3 upshift, then the TC lockup, then the 3-4(OD) upshift. You'll actually feel it kind of shift 4 times even though there are really only 3 gear changes because the TC locks between 3rd gear and overdrive. Does that make sense?

When the TC unlocks the engine kind of just free-wheels on deceleration and while it drives during acceleration, it isn't a direct connection. A locked TC feels more like a manual transmission.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Junior User

yeah man, that makes sense. I would have to go road test it to give a for sure answer as far as exact number of shifts and report back. I am working today but ill post up when i get a shift count.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Junior User

yeah, so took it out on the highway today and 3 gear changes only. when i step on it it feels like another "shift" which from what i gather is the TC engaging??? Im assuming i need a new one? is that indicative of a new tranny as well... also could that affect my milage driving around town?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Post Fiend

When driving on the highway and you let off the throttle does the engine go down to nearly an idle or does it stay near the same speed?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Junior User

id say it goes down 800 or so rpm... from what you are saying and what im feeling it seems as though its not going into OD?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Post Fiend

It's really tough to troubleshoot this kind of thing without seeing it in person. If it is dropping 800 RPM when you let off the throttle it sounds as though the T/C isn't locking. I think I would suggest taking it to a transmission shop and having them take a look at it. You could always have them diagnose it and then bounce their diagnosis off the rest of the guys here on the boards.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM