6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is there a "my truck's in the shop support group" thread?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Is there a "my truck's in the shop support group" thread?

I didn't find it, per se, so here goes:

I'm pretty sure we all prefer driving our trucks to whatever else, and in my short time with it, wow has it impressed me, which makes it that much more difficult to settle for driving something else while it's down for repairs.

In my case, I turned it in Monday for a couple issues: I'd been smelling coolant pretty much all "winter" down here, tho I'd been putting that off 'cuz, as I mentioned, I didn't want to do without it. But these last couple/few weeks, the transmission's been spazzing out, HUGE 2-3 shift flares and rev-limit slips, so I setup the appointment to drop it off.

And boy do I miss it. My ESP warranty provided me with a new F150 CC 2wd XLT with the 3.7L, and it's pretty much everything you'd expect a rental to be. Now, this isn't to 'knock' the F150, I'm sure it's a fine truck in its own right, and if I'd gone straight into one, I probably wouldn't have any complaints, but after the SD, it's just awful.

It's woefully underpowered, and the poor motor makes the saddest scream when you try to merge or pull out into traffic or heaven forbid attempt a pass. The transmission requires a LOT more pedal before it downshifts, which then pushes the motor into that "space shuttle liftoff" RPM area that makes my brain itch. The suspension is marshmallow soft and the steering is way too sensitive. Again, some of those qualities may appeal to some, (obviously, Ford's sold 100's of 1000's of em) but not to me. I miss my backup camera and beeper and my REMOTE START. It's been in the 20's down here ( hey- that's COLD down here for us) this week, and getting in a cold truck without heated seats just kills my morning. I miss my XM radio and my NAV and my LCD info display and my Bluetooth phone connectivity (yeah it has it, but I'm not too keen on leaving my phone info with a rental)

It is quiet inside tho, no rattles, so that's a plus, but at the end of the day, I guess, to me, I want to drive a TRUCK, not this generation's El Camino

All in all, tho, my first experience using my ESP warranty is a positive, I got a call yesterday that two shift solenoids are being replaced which means I'll pretty much have all fresh ATF in there, and today I should hear that it's the radiator being done, which means I'll have all fresh coolant and additive in there. Also gonna get the latest SYNC flash done and a quick adjustment of my tailgate latch while they have it. All for just the $100 ESP deductible! I was expecting to pay $100 per "repair", but nope, Svc Advisor said per visit, so I couldn't be happier.

Can't wait to get it back

Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I know the feeling.......

Hope you get it back soon

Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for your troubles Chuck, but hell that is a good deal on all that work for $100.

Hopefully you will be back in your truck soon!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
LOL on your title... Is there a "my truck's in the shop support group" thread?

I can relate, I got a courtesy truck from the dealer one time, it was a stripped down 2011 F150 2WD, at least it had a 5.4L. Like you, I'm not knocking the truck but it's a different animal then a SD. I only had it for a day and missed my creature comforts.

I will say this though...It's been a long time since I've driven a gas truck and when you slammed the pedal to the floor on this 5.4L it brought back memories of my older gas V8 classics. Sounded beautiful and the RPM wound up sweet.

We're here for you Chuck

Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,972 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Glad to hear they are getting it fixed up

Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
ScottyDog
Elder User
"Sometimes they just call in sick to make you appreciate them"
Good thread start Chuck, let us know the outcome...
Good to know the $100 dollar "per visit" thing!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
...All in all, tho, my first experience using my ESP warranty is a positive, I got a call yesterday that two shift solenoids are being replaced which means I'll pretty much have all fresh ATF in there, and today I should hear that it's the radiator being done, which means I'll have all fresh coolant and additive in there. Also gonna get the latest SYNC flash done and a quick adjustment of my tailgate latch while they have it. All for just the $100 ESP deductible! I was expecting to pay $100 per "repair", but nope, Svc Advisor said per visit, so I couldn't be happier...
I know it's hard to be away from your truck, BlackBeest, but it sounds like it's in good hands! Let us know how things went once you bring your truck home.

Crystal

Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been dreading having to do the same thing, but at 57,000 miles I have to bite the bullet soon. I'm hoping the solenoids are covered under the 60k powertrain warranty. I have dealt with a 2-3 shift flare since <15,000 miles. I know the conditions that cause it and how to deal with it so it hasn't been a huge issue. I figured if I held out long enough, I could get a free trans fluid swap out of the deal!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My wife's expedition and my dads 150 are basically the same chassis and ride. The ride is great when you want to get dressed up or go on a road trip but I can't take it more than once/week.

My family cracks up at me, I drive an average of 5000 miles/month in my SD, and every time we go for an errand or whatever, we go in my truck. Ya, it's rough, it shakes, shifts hard, louder tires, but yea, it's the way to go.

Folks used to complain about the newer SD trucks with all these bells and whistles. You know, the "I want a truck with no carpet, vinyl bench seats, and an AM radio!, you kids these days think you need a durn fireplace and ceiling fan too?"

Old 01-23-2014, 05:30 PM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Folks used to complain about the newer SD trucks with all these bells and whistles. You know, the "I want a truck with no carpet, vinyl bench seats, and an AM radio!, you kids these days think you need a durn fireplace and ceiling fan too?"
Good call Rusch, you forgot the big screen tv...

Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 AM
scar100
Junior User
Title is perfect....

I know how you feel too, I dropped mine off this morning for coolant puddles in driveway past couple of mornings. Level is a little low so wanted to get it checked out.

And on the F150, mine was an '04 but I've ridden in newer models and the difference between the 6.7 and them is incomparable.

Just curious, what ESP do you have?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for all the support, guys, I appreciate it.

Had a call last night from my guy at the dealer, they knocked out the transmission solenoids and it's shifting like butta. He also pressure tested the cooling system and could not find any leaks , but in his defense, I had only been smelling coolant, not seeing it, so his possible explanation did ring true: see, the tech added a gallon! of coolant to my primary and about a quart to my secondary systems, I've barely been under the hood since I bought it, I've never looked at the levels, but what it sounds like coulda been happening is just a lot of activity in the degass bottle because of the low level having a hard time keeping cool. We're all too used to our vehicles just burning coolant off down here over a long summer of 100F+ days, so that's probably all that happened to my truck.

Still, he kept it overnight, wanted to check it again cold this morning, and did not see any residue, any hoses, nothing by the petcock or "the usual" areas. We're not concerned with any HG issues, and I'll just take it that the systems needed to be topped off.

Should have my SYNC update done this morning and ready to pickup after lunch!

lol, can't wait to get it back, it was SNOWING this morn! in Southern Louisiana!! and my rentals windshield was frozen, as was my butt after hopping in... lol, the stuff we find to complain about....

Originally Posted by 720Deere
I've been dreading having to do the same thing, but at 57,000 miles I have to bite the bullet soon. I'm hoping the solenoids are covered under the 60k powertrain warranty. I have dealt with a 2-3 shift flare since <15,000 miles. I know the conditions that cause it and how to deal with it so it hasn't been a huge issue. I figured if I held out long enough, I could get a free trans fluid swap out of the deal!
Matt, that's exactly where those solenoids warranty ends, the 60k powertrain. Ben confirmed it for me when I asked if the transmission repair wouldn't involve my ESP, I'm over 60 but under 100. Better not put it off too much longer.....

Oh, and you won't get a complete swap, but the pan yeah will get you like 80% new fluid. I asked that too

Originally Posted by scar100
Title is perfect....

I know how you feel too, I dropped mine off this morning for coolant puddles in driveway past couple of mornings. Level is a little low so wanted to get it checked out.

And on the F150, mine was an '04 but I've ridden in newer models and the difference between the 6.7 and them is incomparable.

Just curious, what ESP do you have?
It is still somewhat a surprise to me, how much my truck "fits" what I want, lol, I'm lovin it.

I opted for the Platinum or Premium whatever it is, level. 3yrs/36k add'l miles. I overpaid what's available by like a grand! but I didn't know at the time that those ESP coverages are negotiable, so do your homework, search this forum, plenty of good info on 'em.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,972 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Glad you got your truck back!

Old 01-24-2014, 01:09 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest

And boy do I miss it. My ESP warranty provided me with a new F150 CC 2wd XLT with the 3.7L, and it's pretty much everything you'd expect a rental to be. Now, this isn't to 'knock' the F150, I'm sure it's a fine truck in its own right, and if I'd gone straight into one, I probably wouldn't have any complaints, but after the SD, it's just awful.

All in all, tho, my first experience using my ESP warranty is a positive, I got a call yesterday that two shift solenoids are being replaced which means I'll pretty much have all fresh ATF in there, and today I should hear that it's the radiator being done, which means I'll have all fresh coolant and additive in there. Also gonna get the latest SYNC flash done and a quick adjustment of my tailgate latch while they have it. All for just the $100 ESP deductible! I was expecting to pay $100 per "repair", but nope, Svc Advisor said per visit, so I couldn't be happier.

Can't wait to get it back
I enjoyed the calmness of your post. Having an ESP in place certainly seems to take some of the emotions out of getting the expensive truck fixed.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:29 PM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Thanks for the update Chuck.
Ha - I remember when you got that truck, good times

Quick Reply: Is there a "my truck's in the shop support group" thread?