1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Help planning Power Steering Pump for 223"

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 PM
BurnerDoc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help planning Power Steering Pump for 223"

Hello! Long-term car guy here, first time poster, with a question about putting a power-steering pump on my '59 F-100. I am in communication with Classic Performance Products about their kit for my truck, but unfortunately the Tech guy doesn't know straight-6 engines, and they have no on-line installation manuals to send me, no diagrams, etc. He says it goes in the lower position on the driver's side, but in addition, doesn't know about pulley issues, etc.

Has anyone out there used the CPP kit? (They also have their new power-steering box, which I am trying to get ready for, doing the PSP first.) Here are my questions:

1. There doesn't appear to be room below the generator, at all, to fit another engine accessory. Do you have to move the generator to the passenger side of the engine?

2. What does the bracketing (included with the kit) bolt up to?

3. I assume you need a new dual-belt crank pulley, but what about the fan pulley? Wouldn't you need a dual-belt pulley there too? The Tech guy says, (a) you could run one pulley to everything (but that would mean minimal belt-pulley contact on the 4 pulleys, averaging only 1/4 of a circumference each, -but significantly less than 1/4 circumference on several of them). Then he said, (b) that if I had a dual-belt crank pulley, I could run a belt directly to the PSP; but I have always built-up old engines with a triangular orientation for a given V-belt-and-pulley route. What is the best way here?

Can anyone who has done this CPP installation on the 223" motor help me out with this? Much obliged!

- BurnerDoc

Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it with a single belt with PS pump mounted above the generator. I bolted generator tight to motor with existing gen bracket and used upper hole in generator for lower hole in PS pump. Made a bracket from flat stock to tighten belt by adjusting PS pump. Truck is in storage or I would take some pictures. I also have the CPP gear box. It bolts right up. I used a Aero-star van pump from summit and a summit pulley that needed a bushing to fit the pulley to the pump.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:01 AM
BurnerDoc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, when I thought twice about moving the generator to the passenger side, it was obvious *that* wasn't going to work. So, I like the idea of fixing the generator firmly, and using it's upper hole as part of the mount for the PSP. I will contact CPP again, and see if any oldster there - in their Tech department - can tell me whether the bracketing they send would help me with your method. Thanks again.