6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

HPFP Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM
winklershop
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HPFP Failure

How many of you guy have experienced a high pressure fuel pump failure, and what did you have to do to get it fixed?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM
leejk
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine failed at 75,000. Did all the maintenance at required intervals and it still failed. Ford didn't honor the warranty either, saying the pump had been ran with water in the fuel. Well, why didn't their crappy designed water separator catch that? After all, that's what it's for. Really bad customer service on their part and my LAST FORD ever.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM
winklershop
Senior User
do you remember what they had to do to fix the problem? what all did they have to replace? some say all the fuel lines, low pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel cooler, HFCM, both filter bases, fuel tank out to have it washed/cleaned. i poured some fuel out of the HPFP and there is glitter in it...if i only replace the HPFP i will have problems soon again, that glitter is in all fuel lines, injectors, cooler, pumps, and even in the fuel in the tank because of the fuel return. it must be a complete fuel system replacement...do you remember what it cost?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
leejk
Mountain Pass
If there is any sign of metal they have t replace the entire fuel system, a little over 10K is the cost. Do you by chance initially have the check engine light come on, throwing a P088 code?

Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
winklershop
Senior User
yeah we were driving it no problems no check engine light nothing, and then we heard something pop and it rolled to a stop...we got it back to the shop and checked codes, the only codes was P0088 fuel pressure too high, and then a P0087 fuel pressure too low, and then engine shut down code

Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Had my entire fuel system replaced under warranty at 68k miles on my old 09. I was the second owner so I don't know what kind of fuel the original owner used or if he even may have put gas in it. Truck was running fine. I changed the fuel filters and the primary filter was full of metal shavings. The secondary filter had very fine metal on it. Took it to Ford and they replaced it under warranty. Before the truck fired up with the new fuel system on it, an Airdog was put on it. Would like to do one in this 6.7 here soon.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:00 AM
winklershop
Senior User
i see, what is the basic idea behind the air dog system? and does it replace the stock low pressure pump? i have to replace the entire fuel system, i might as well upgrade as much parts as i can with more preformance/reiablility. i am going to figure out how to do a egr and dpf stealth delete. and get a tuner, i dont need much more horsepower, on the 6.0s i would do the towing tune of 50 hp gain. i think just doing those few things will make this truck run so much better. i had a horizontal egr cooler failure on this same engine, took out piston/rod #8, so i got to stealth delete that. the dpf system is so restrictive and if i bypass that, it will run so much better and quit making oil. i would like to run coolant and engine oil bypass filter, help keep this thing clean. and then if i do the air dog, it will help keep more fuel flow to high pressure fuel pump, does it also filter better?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:58 PM
winklershop
Senior User
i now have another 6.4 L....with glitter!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhh! i pulled the fuel filters, and they are full of glitter!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 PM
leejk
Mountain Pass
Yeah that sounds about right. How many miles on your truck? Mine went out at 75k and Ford welched on the warranty. Every chance i get i bash Ford for this because they literally look for excuses to not honor warranty due to their poor design decisions. Other truck manufactures step up to the plate and take the fight to the pump manufacturer, so i've been reading. i've dissuaded 2 people so far from buying a Ford because of my experience. Ford is a piece of crap company in this day n age... not the stand behind their product of 5-10 years ago.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
The Airdog filters down to 2 microns. Better than factory. The Airdog 150 pushes fuel to the stock low pressure pump. The Airdog 165 replaces the stock low pressure pump and is able to be adjusted for whatever pressure you want to send fuel to the HPFP. Stock pressure to the HPFP on a 6.4 I believe is 3-4 psi. The Airdog 150 isnt adjustable and preset to 10 psi.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:11 AM
winklershop
Senior User
im thinking about going to the air dog, here is another update:

I don’t know for sure what exactly caused the pump to fail. I think that is may be water related. I never got "water in fuel" light. But I may not have been draining the HFCM religiously, but we do ford fuel filters every 10k miles. And I think another attributing factor may be the use of fuel conditioners. I always use power service fuel additive when I am in town, but whenever I go across country I may not always get fuel additive in. I think the fuel additive is extremely important in preventing this? Because it helps remove water from fuel condensation when warm fuel returns to the take. Also adds lubricity, since the HPFP is lubricated by fuel. And filling the tank at the end of every day will help with condensation, which I don’t always get to do. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o> </o>
I took apart the HPFP and found rust splotching all over most of the surfaces. The part that actually failed was the vane portion of the pump. See pictures.<o></o>
<o> </o>
<o></o>
<o> </o>
<o> </o>
You can see the heat had locked in those 5 little rectangle pieces and then the aluminum and steel starting galling on each other. I have taken a lot of the fuel system apart and there is glitter and flakes…everywhere.<o></o>
<o></o>
I was looking at the injector seals, looks like there is only really 3 seals that i would need. i could keep the pizeo all together since fuel doesn’t go inside of that. Then i could disassemble the rest of the injector and clean it, along with the high pressure fuel rail.<o></o>

Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM
leejk
Mountain Pass
Same situation with mine, very small rust spots, and I never got the water in fuel light either. The fuel filtration system on the truck is crap and Ford knows it I think, but denies warranty anyways. If the filtration system did it's job and provided the driver maintained recommended maintenance, this should never happen. And really, Ford's own recommended maintenance schedule is a joke too; in reality you have to half the schedule even for normal operating conditions. I hope they get sued over this as they deserve it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
So how much effort is required to remove the HPFP?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 AM
winklershop
Senior User
alot of work, you can either pull the cab, or pull the engine out of the front of the truck, but you have to tear the whole front end of the truck off.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM
fordfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by winklershop
im thinking about going to the air dog, here is another update:

I don’t know for sure what exactly caused the pump to fail. I think that is may be water related. I never got "water in fuel" light. But I may not have been draining the HFCM religiously, but we do ford fuel filters every 10k miles. And I think another attributing factor may be the use of fuel conditioners. I always use power service fuel additive when I am in town, but whenever I go across country I may not always get fuel additive in. I think the fuel additive is extremely important in preventing this? Because it helps remove water from fuel condensation when warm fuel returns to the take. Also adds lubricity, since the HPFP is lubricated by fuel. And filling the tank at the end of every day will help with condensation, which I don’t always get to do. fficeffice" /><o></o>
<o> </o>
I took apart the HPFP and found rust splotching all over most of the surfaces. The part that actually failed was the vane portion of the pump. See pictures.<o></o>
<o> </o>
<o></o>
<o> </o>
<o> </o>
You can see the heat had locked in those 5 little rectangle pieces and then the aluminum and steel starting galling on each other. I have taken a lot of the fuel system apart and there is glitter and flakes…everywhere.<o></o>
<o></o>
I was looking at the injector seals, looks like there is only really 3 seals that i would need. i could keep the pizeo all together since fuel doesn’t go inside of that. Then i could disassemble the rest of the injector and clean it, along with the high pressure fuel rail.<o></o>

I have rust in my LPFP it comes from the float assembly in the fuel tank.