Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

I Found This F800...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
wantahertzdonut
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truck is in Medford, OR. I don't have a phone number, I thought I had a photo of the sheet in the window with the seller's info but because I knew nothing about these trucks at the time, I chose to not let myself pursue it further. Plus, this was back in early October, so it may be sold by now. He was asking $8500.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would say it was a Forestry service fire truck. And if so did not see a lot of miles. But lots of hours at idle and pump speed to spray water.
Sounds like you're looking to do the same thing I'm working toward with my F800.

So far with the 7.8 I6 Road Ranger 10 speed and 4.56 gears. Its averaging 10+ MPG with the camper or empty not much difference.
Pete

Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM
wantahertzdonut
Senior User
Wow Pete, you're not messing around! Is the 7.8 a Ford engine that came stock in your truck? How about the 10sp?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Originally Posted by wantahertzdonut
Wow Pete, you're not messing around! Is the 7.8 a Ford engine that came stock in your truck? How about the 10sp?
NO it has a reman 240HP 7.8 with around 10,000 miles. But no way to prove the what the miles are. But that was what I was told when I bought it. It turned up and Will leave a trail of smoke 40 ft behind it if you get on it hard. But if not it runs clean, EGT temps are not high even last summer pulling never seen them over 1000 Degrees. With the 10 Speed Road Ranger I can split shift it without anything behind it. Every other gear is fine. With the camper It does good. When your running 55 MPH its turning 2000 RPM's and will turn 2850 RPMS and top out around 75 MPH. Max HP is at 2400 RPMS. So guessing the motor likes to run Higher R's them the Cummins and stuff does.

ON a half mile hill turning off the highway here at home. Its about 7% grade and I can be in 9th gear by the time I top it. And only running around 25 MPH when I turn off Hwy 64. Its not a power house, but does have fare power and good Tourk. But then again enough mass on the motor to make a better Motor. I know in marine use these same motors are putting out 300 to 350 HP toward the end of there use. Some even had them turned up and putting out 500HP. And getting years of use out of them. But cooling was not an issue when your pumping 80 degree water through the motor and all it wants.
This one does have an After cooler so that helps it out. Thinking about swapping out the 11/24.5's to low pro tires. And turn the RT6610 into a RTO-6610. Thus 10th gear is over drive and back up to the dash where 9th is now. Use 9th to pull and 10th I would be able to run close to 68 MPH on flat ground at 2000 RPMS. And at 2850 around 85 to 90 MPH. But not sure if it can pull that with a load.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will pull it, if you crank up the power more. I'm sure towing at that speed will get you pulled over in a hurry. Most truck tires are only rated to go around 82-85mph.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
It will pull it, if you crank up the power more. I'm sure towing at that speed will get you pulled over in a hurry. Most truck tires are only rated to go around 82-85mph.
My concern is how do I know how much to turn it up? Reason being if its been turned up before I got it. Is there a way to check and see how much they did to it? Watched your video's and read your post on it. But don't have any ideal how how much its turned up or when its turned up more then it needs? Don't have any issues turning one up.
As for tires I have ran triple digits with these type of tires years ago. 18 Speed double over. We would run 600 miles in 6.5 hours. Never again. Got to thinking while crossing TX, what would happen if a steer tire was to blow out that fast?? Never again after that and had a steer tire blow when I got back to the yard 2 days later. Just glad it was not while the 4 of us were hammer down in the left lane. At one time we all were running around 115.
So these days my speed days are over. 70 is fast enough for me and figure in 5 years it will be 55 and watch the world go by enjoying smelling the roses..

Wish you were closer to me. Would be glad to pay you to turn this 7.8 up and make it into what I know it can be. AS for the 10 over do you think turned up all the way it will pull it fine with the 4.56's? I know with it an over trans I can swap out to low profile tires or just swap to 22.5 low pro's. Would love to find a set of custom 22.5's with low pro like most are running on the pickups these days. These 14 and 16 ply are not the best for a good ride. LOL

Forgot the reason behind the 10 over ideal. Cruse at 2000 RPMs and 65 MPH should be great for MPG?
Pete

Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachm...1&d=1380133189
It's a pdf file, but download and save it to your computer. It's an edited drawing.

This is actually the correct fuel rate adjustment. On the 7.8, it will be pretty tricky to get to.
This covers the MW style pumps on the 84-early 93 Cummins 8.3, International DT360 and 466, Ford 6.6 & 7.8, and probably a few others in that same era.

This way, you can turn the screw on top back in a few turns, then the fuel rate nuts can go all the way backed out. EGT should still stay under control, as long as you have some rpm going with it.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
Anybody else notice a discrepancy? All the window frames are wrong for an '85 model. The post between the front door glass is too thick, indicating '87-'00 and the back glass would have a divider '80-'86. The medium duty trucks used the same interior and everything pretty much as the '80-'86 light trucks until 2000, with the exception of the window glass changing in '87 the same time the pickups went through their slight redesign. Cab swap maybe?

Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachm...1&d=1380133189
It's a pdf file, but download and save it to your computer. It's an edited drawing.

This is actually the correct fuel rate adjustment. On the 7.8, it will be pretty tricky to get to.
This covers the MW style pumps on the 84-early 93 Cummins 8.3, International DT360 and 466, Ford 6.6 & 7.8, and probably a few others in that same era.

This way, you can turn the screw on top back in a few turns, then the fuel rate nuts can go all the way backed out. EGT should still stay under control, as long as you have some rpm going with it.
Thanks for the info. Will sure try it and see what happens. Having an issue with the fuel shutoff now. Went to pick up a few ton of Heating Pellets Monday and the truck was not pulling empty. WAs hard to get it to 65 MPH. Got the pellets loaded and when It started back up pulled right and RPMS were back up there where they should be. Thinking someone has lost the pin on the fuel shutoff air. As its caused issues last year when it moved and shut the truck down. Took about 30 minutes to get it adjusted and tightened back up. Then now its not releasing all the way when I push the kill cable back in. Looks like I will have to join that site to see the info. But not a big deal.
Thinking hard about removing the bed and sleeper and add a dump bed to the truck. My wife wants to get rid of it. I would rather have her cut my arm off. AS I love driving the old gal. So may just see if it will be worth more like it is? Or turn it into a dump truck and sell it. Sad Sad...
Pete

Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM
wantahertzdonut
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ranger80
Anybody else notice a discrepancy? All the window frames are wrong for an '85 model. The post between the front door glass is too thick, indicating '87-'00 and the back glass would have a divider '80-'86. The medium duty trucks used the same interior and everything pretty much as the '80-'86 light trucks until 2000, with the exception of the window glass changing in '87 the same time the pickups went through their slight redesign. Cab swap maybe?
I assume you're referring to the photo I posted. There is a badge on the C pillar that said "Custom Cab" so I assumed it could be an aftermarket mod of some sort. Seeing that I've never seen any others on the road, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
Could be, but I'd do some more digging. Either a: all the doors and/or windows have been swapped with '87+, b: the entire cab has been swapped with one from an '87+ (or somebody modified the heck out of the firewall and front floor pan of an '87-'91 pickup cab), or c: it really is an '87+. Any way it goes, there's something fishy going on.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 AM
wantahertzdonut
Senior User
So now that I'm back to work, I've been browsing around for crew cab medium duty Fords. This came on on craigslist, but the seller seems to be slow to answer and tight lipped about where he's at. I can't get a phone number out of him. Any chance this belongs to anyone on the board, or has anyone seen this? It's somewhere in Arizona but advertised on several SW US craigslist sites.

Again advertised as having "27,367 Miles". 8.3L Cummins but not sure which version or its output. I figure it'll tow my toy hauler with my wife's car on the bed with little sweat. Has a Fuller transmission with 4 low and 4 high gears. I assume it's a 4sp with a 2sp axle?

I assume much has changed in this line in the 12 years between this truck and the yellow one I previously posted. It has air brakes but not sure of the suspension. I've read some of the medium duty trucks had some very difficult brakes to deal with, but not sure if that's the case with these later models or not.

I'm not holding my breath on seeing this one in person, but if the opportunity comes up, is there anything I should look out for?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
So now that I'm back to work, I've been browsing around for crew cab medium duty Fords. This came on on craigslist, but the seller seems to be slow to answer and tight lipped about where he's at. I can't get a phone number out of him. Any chance this belongs to anyone on the board, or has anyone seen this? It's somewhere in Arizona but advertised on several SW US craigslist sites.

Again advertised as having "27,367 Miles". 8.3L Cummins but not sure which version or its output. I figure it'll tow my toy hauler with my wife's car on the bed with little sweat. Has a Fuller transmission with 4 low and 4 high gears. I assume it's a 4sp with a 2sp axle?

I assume much has changed in this line in the 12 years between this truck and the yellow one I previously posted. It has air brakes but not sure of the suspension. I've read some of the medium duty trucks had some very difficult brakes to deal with, but not sure if that's the case with these later models or not.

I'm not holding my breath on seeing this one in person, but if the opportunity comes up, is there anything I should look out for?

You need a brown 1987 F800 with 7.8 Ford inline 6 and road ranger 10 speed trans. 60" Standup sleeper and a hauler bed on it. Mine is for sale. after buying the 2005 Kodiak with 5.9 cummins. Put the F800 on the back burner.
Pete

Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 PM
wantahertzdonut
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pete Kildow
You need a brown 1987 F800 with 7.8 Ford inline 6 and road ranger 10 speed trans. 60" Standup sleeper and a hauler bed on it. Mine is for sale. after buying the 2005 Kodiak with 5.9 cummins. Put the F800 on the back burner.
Pete
Where are you at, Pete? Yours isn't quite the setup I'd be after (no 5th wheel trailer for me, yet) but I have to say I'm a little intrigued.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Where are you at, Pete? Yours isn't quite the setup I'd be after (no 5th wheel trailer for me, yet) but I have to say I'm a little intrigued.
West Tn 90 miles east of Memphis Tn.

Quick Reply: I Found This F800...