Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Freshman User

redneckfordman1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
51 ford f2 rear axle nut

hey guys been working on my brothers truck a little lately trying to get it moving again. i found the right rear brake lockedup due to a bad seal allowing the grease to contaminate the shoes. anyways im tryin to get it all fixed again but im having troubles finding a socket for the main bearing nut. any help would be appreciated
Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Wrenches are available. Shown is the correct KD wrench for the Dana 60, 2 9/16". Measure the nut on your axle. Most good auto parts stores will have the socket. Some stores may even have loaners. I bought mine at NAPA.
Attached Images

2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Freshman User

ive already tried 2 1/4 and 2 3/8 12 point sockets one was too big other too small
Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Don't think a regular socket is going to work. Look at the nuts,
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Freshman User

Should still give a fair idea of size tho I'd imagine
Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
I always just use a hammer and chisel to get it loose! of course I like to do things the hard way...
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Freshman User

That's what its lookin like I'm gonna do pretty soon. These are normal threads not reverse correct?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
How are you going to torque it when re-assembling it with a hammer and chisel?!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Freshman User

I won't but if I can at least get it off then illI'll be able to figure out what parts iI need/find correct ones and find a correct socket to put it back together
Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Old guy with old toys

Look at the KD part number on the special wrench. Sorry it is upside down. Read the very fine print on the arrows of my picture. This is what happens when the nuts are removed with a hammer and punch.

Edit: disclaimer on the size of the axle nuts on your truck.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
'51 F-2 is a different size, 2-3/8" but as Ray says, a regular socket probably won't fit. You need one of the tube wrenches like shown.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Just go into like Napa and ask for a spindle nut socket. Explain to the
counter kid what it is. Cost is only a few bucks. I also use a chisel and BFH.
most of the time as they are in the tool box and I have to look hard for my spindle
socket.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Elder User

1952henry is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
An original Ford issue (Moore Forging) F3 wheel nut wrench and handle (doubles as tire iron).

Gorebal warming, climate change, gorebal climate disruption. Repackaged crap is, well, still crap!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks