Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Mbizzal
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for a truck

I know this is a bit outside the norm for the forum. I have been searching for months for a 90 to 96 f150.
I live north of Atlanta Georgia and can't believe how hard it is to find a decent truck. Most have been destroyed or pushing 250,000. I understand that a 20 year old truck is going to have issues. But, I've been patiently waiting for that cream puff that was well keep and maintained.
I have given up on Craigslist and the other big car websites. The dealers around here usually don't keep those years on the lots and they are pushed off to wholesale.
Does anyone know of a halfway decent truck in the north Atlanta area?
Looking for a 90 to 96 F150 V8.
Thanks in advanced and hope to be posting more on this forum in the future.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
Not in Atlanta, but I'll sell you my 96 F250 4x4 5sp 5.8L. I'm fed up. I just lost all the turn signals and brake lights this morning and it's too freaking cold to be laying around outside finding the problem. It has about 131K on it.I'm in the NW subs of Chicago.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Mbizzal
Mountain Pass
Well thanks for the offer, but I will pass on that. Just a bit to far to travel.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Best ones are southern. Worth the air fare and gas if you really want a pristine one.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM
mrrish79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 on the point Puddy makes on airfare. Just last week someone posted rust free trucks for $2500 in CA. I almost did it! I waited months to find mine. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Bright Regatte Blue
Junior User
Originally Posted by mrrish79
Just last week someone posted rust free trucks for $2500 in CA.
$2,500 seems reasonable. I got mine ('93 F-150 XLT regular cab shortbed, 5.0L and 5-speed) for $1,500. Worst thing about it is the dents on the passenger's side of the bed after a horse kicked it.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
Here's one in the Valdosta area. Good price and it's actually pretty clean considering whats up north.

1991 Ford F-150 4X4

Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM
mr.fordneck
Senior User
Just a tip, don't rush to buy one. Depends on how pristine you want it but be willing to pay a little more for good paint

Old 01-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Mbizzal
Mountain Pass
Thanks for all the replies. Mr. Fordneck (great name) I am willing to pay a little more for a truck in good condition.
Thing is (please don't hate) I have been looking for a good early 2000's Dodge Dakota.
You can find them but they are trashed and WAY OVER PRICED. It blows me away the prices some of these trucks are going for.
I just want something that has not been completely mistreated and run through the ringer.
I know that scratches and even dents are going to be on the truck. But, rust filled and completely abused is not a well maintained truck.
I want give up and will continue to search. Hopefully in the next week are so I will be posting picks of my truck.
Thanks again to everyone.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
SaddleBronc
Junior User
Puddy has the solution, and I can tell you where to go. In southern OK and north TX, you can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting full-size trucks for sale. The used car lots and local ads are lousy with good, clean trucks that folks are tired of paying $3+ a gallon to feed. You gotta remember - we have a higher ratio of trucks vs. cars than just about anywhere. I always notice it when I travel.

You can get an idea by looking at CrgsLst for DFW, OKC...but also check the smaller towns and burgs...the deals are better outside the city. Still, there are many that aren't advertised other than parked in the yard with a sign in the window. Even the new car dealers have more pressure on pricing they put on their trade-ins.

I saw a email from Southwest just the other day for $89 fares...that's less than the gas bill to drive it home to GA, but that cost is minor compared to a rust-free, non-molested truck.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Mbizzal
Mountain Pass
unfortunately I don't have time to go across country to look. Work, wife, kids, bla - bla stuff.
But, if I don't find anything in the next month or two. I may just need to make a trip out that way.
I'm just blown away by the lack of decent trucks in Georgia.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM
wag53
Senior User
Try checking CL in SC or Augusta there are a lot of good trucks in the bracket you are looking for there. But, you gotta be patient, I found mine in Rock Hill but, there are a lot of others closer to you. I'm 5 hrs from Atlanta and I'm in the middle of SC.

Last edited by wag53; 01-23-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Mbizzal
Mountain Pass
Well, I found and bought a truck.
1996 F-250 regular cab long bed 351 2 wheel drive with 45100 miles. The funny thing is, it was in the same town I live in. The truck is a one owner and before selling it he had a lot of work done on it.
New tires, new fuel pumps (both tanks work), fuel filter, alternator, idler pulley, battery, trans fluid - filter, new front rotors, pads, calipers, oil change, rear dif. fluid, front bearings.
The truck is in awesome shape and the interior is perfect. I paid a bit more than I was wanting to at $8100.00 but with the low mileage and the work done it was well worth the extra money.
I do have a few questions if some can chime in on.
It looks like the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor have not been changed since new. They look OK but I think it is something that needs to be changed. I was looking at these parts on the Ford site and all together are pretty expensive. Any other options? I don't mind paying if it is the original parts. I try to put originals on everything I buy, but didn't know if there are better alternatives. Any info would be appreciated.
Also, in the cab I hear a blowing noise. Like the fan is still blowing when it is off. It stops and sounds normal when I turn the vent on. Its hard to explain the sound like a blowing or whistling sound. Its not loud and may be normal I don't know.
So any way I am a happy Ford truck owner (finally) and I am glad there is a forum like this with answers from knowledgeable people.
Thanks in advanced.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 AM
MonroeHandyMan
Senior User
Wow, I was just reading this thread, not expecting you to find a truck so soon. Great ending here. Where are the pics??
You went that far as to pay a premium for a very low mileage example, go the extra mile and spring for what is needed. Just price around, you will notice a big difference from site to site. One of the guys here turned me on to Rockauto.com, like night and day compared to my local auto parts stores in prices!
As well as the parts needed, you should get a fresh oil change, have the tranny fuid checked and flushed if necessary as well. Also, have a look at the power steering fluid as the pumps are notorious for whining. Fresh fluid will help to lube the pump properly, keep the temps down and prolong the life of your pump. Check your belt and hoses. Make sure the truck is charging properly. It is also a good idea to check you brake fluid and possibly drain and put fresh fluid in. If the truck still has the original plugs, wire and rotor, it might be a tell tale sign some other things are past their prime as well and need attention. Do it right once and be done otherwise little problems turn to big problems quickly. Best of luck with your new rig!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mbizzal
Well, I found and bought a truck.
1996 F-250 regular cab long bed 351 2 wheel drive with 45100 miles. The funny thing is, it was in the same town I live in. The truck is a one owner and before selling it he had a lot of work done on it.
New tires, new fuel pumps (both tanks work), fuel filter, alternator, idler pulley, battery, trans fluid - filter, new front rotors, pads, calipers, oil change, rear dif. fluid, front bearings.
The truck is in awesome shape and the interior is perfect. I paid a bit more than I was wanting to at $8100.00 but with the low mileage and the work done it was well worth the extra money.
I do have a few questions if some can chime in on.
It looks like the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor have not been changed since new. They look OK but I think it is something that needs to be changed. I was looking at these parts on the Ford site and all together are pretty expensive. Any other options? I don't mind paying if it is the original parts. I try to put originals on everything I buy, but didn't know if there are better alternatives. Any info would be appreciated.
Also, in the cab I hear a blowing noise. Like the fan is still blowing when it is off. It stops and sounds normal when I turn the vent on. Its hard to explain the sound like a blowing or whistling sound. Its not loud and may be normal I don't know.
So any way I am a happy Ford truck owner (finally) and I am glad there is a forum like this with answers from knowledgeable people.
Thanks in advanced.
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i think you are going to be seriously unsatisfied with the 2wd, you will get stuck on wet grass if you dont have but the most aggressive treaded tire. i could be wrong, but it sounds like from reading the thread that someone just wanted instant gratification and bought the first truck he found, but thats just my 2 cents

ps. i drive a 2wd also, but it was because i inherited it free of charge, next vehicle i buy will not be a 2wd

Quick Reply: Looking for a truck