Looking for some insight on a few toyhaulers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Scott - first off I'm happy to hear your wife was not more seriously injured and hopefully will make a full recovery. What a small world - my wife drives a 2012 Ford Focus as well and we just got it out of a body shop after she got hit by a big buck coming up out of a ditch....

Mine caught a Buick hard on the LF. The elderly woman driving it said she was going to go right, then changed her mind without looking and drove directly in front of my wife. She was in town, probably around 35-40 mph, the Focus literally exploded. There was plastic everywhere. But the passenger compartment was only minorly affected, doors all still opened. The front end crumpled and did it's job, so we replaced it with a leftover 2014 Focus.

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Anyway - I had similar experiences on Craig's List. My favorites (not) is when I would Ask three questions and they would answer 1. I finally just started emailing my phone number and telling them I was interested and wanted more information.
Bottom line for me was RVTrader. The best units I looked at and ultimately the one I bought were found there.
With your wife's back injury, I hope she is able to travel comfortably in your search.
My wife and I enjoyed our time together on the road and we made each trip into sort of an adventure. Hopefully it goes as well for you..

She doesn't say it, but I can see the unloaded truck beats her up. Hopefully the PT will be able to get her back straightened out, they say they should be able to.

I attach my phone number with every email..............An answer to even one question would at least open up a line of communication. I've dealt with lots of flake buyers of CL, but usually sellers actually want to sell. I've never had this much trouble buying off CL. I monitor RV trader and Rvt at least once a week, but exactly what I'm after has proven to be tough to find on there for a reasonable (NADA retail) price. Sooner or later something will cross my path.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
So after more searching, thinking, and talking, we have decided that we are going to buy a new Palomino Puma Unleashed 351THSS. It fits the bill of exactly what we want and I get 8 lug axles with 16" wheels, 12' tall and 37 long. The nicer used units that aren't crackpots on CL are all around 20K, and I can get this unit brand new in a 2015 for $27,9xx with a warranty, and exactly what we want. We plan to keep the unit for a while (10+ years), so it just make sense to buy a new unit. This one also has the tub which we decided would be a better idea than the shower with the intent of starting a family in the next year or two.

I have requests in at 2 local dealers, just to compare, but there are 2 right around 28K within 350 miles. And another a bit further in NC that I haven't gotten a final price on yet, wife doesn't want to go that far, but it sure would be a great time of year for a ride down 81 in western VA.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you deadset on a toyhauler ?

We looked and looked, and even new the pickings were few and far between....
by then the wife saw the monster we have and decided we didn't NEED a toy to haul

Although I still want a street legal golf cart !!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I am going to throw something out about warranties that I expect will generate some controversy. Buyers shopping online and then going to purchase at a distant dealership to save money, but expecting the local dealer to provide service work have become a major issue for many in the RV industry.

Increasingly manufacturers are curtailing sales to dealers that sell entirely or almost entirely on the Internet. Many times those dealers state service is readily available from bricks and mortar dealers or from independents like me, which is a total fabrication. As our local dealers say out right, "we will service your warranty, but it may well take us 3-6 months to get to it". The majority of independents do not want warranty work and will tell you they will do it and to file the warranty yourself, which is seldom possible.

I increasingly get requests from locals asking if they buy elsewhere, if we will do their warranty work, which is a no go. The same is often true when shopping parts or appliances online. The prices are much lower and I will install anything anyone buys, but I always tell customers upfront I will not cover their warranty as part of the upfront selling price for us goes to covering the warranty if it becomes necessary.

I am not trying to tell anyone where to buy, but it is important to note that buying an RV with a warranty is not like buying a truck or car. Sometimes it all goes well, but sometimes not. This has become a contentious issue in the RV industry and I do not know how it will ultimately be resolved. I do know that manufacturers are just as concerned about the lack of quality service after-the-sale as buyers are!

My two cents,

Steve

Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Steve, thanks for the heads up. I have emailed both local dealers for Palomino about pricing this morning. So far I have nothing back yet. I'd much rather buy local than drive into Ohio. I will see what they come back with, I have already figured out what the fuel and other necessities will cost me to run out 700 miles RT for it. The one I am most interested in is at Camping World, I would hope the local (ish) Camping World would handle any issues that may arise.

jadamsjr- We are dead set on the toyhauler. We have 2 kayaks we would like to take with us along with up to 4 bicycles at the same time. I know what a roof rack for the Kayaks is worth, and really don't want the hassle or expense. The stand up racks for the kayaks on the rear of the trailers seem kind of cheesy for what they cost. Then there's the bikes.......My mountain bike is worth 5K and if any of my buddies goes with, all theirs are in that same value range. I don't want them on a bumper where they can be hit, or attract unwanted attention. We also want the second bedroom the garage provides. I looked hard at the Hershey show for a standard 5er floorplan that I could get the bikes inside without trashing it, and just didn't find it.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Steve, I just have to say thank you for all the help and insight you have provided in this thread. It has been VERY helpful in this process.

Since I posted that I have been talking with one of the two local dealers. He was very up front that even though they are a Forest River dealer, and required to fix warranty issues, you may wait months if you didn't buy it there......................If you buy from them, they will get it in within a week.

They are only $1080 higher than the one from Camping World, and I can be there in under an hour. Given no warranty issues, not having to rush to Akron, and I'm sure I'd be close to $500 in expenses to make the trip between fuel, food and an overnight. I may hammer on them a bit more, but I think I'll just buy local!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Steve, I just have to say thank you for all the help and insight you have provided in this thread. It has been VERY helpful in this process.

Since I posted that I have been talking with one of the two local dealers. He was very up front that even though they are a Forest River dealer, and required to fix warranty issues, you may wait months if you didn't buy it there......................If you buy from them, they will get it in within a week.

They are only $1080 higher than the one from Camping World, and I can be there in under an hour. Given no warranty issues, not having to rush to Akron, and I'm sure I'd be close to $500 in expenses to make the trip between fuel, food and an overnight. I may hammer on them a bit more, but I think I'll just buy local!
Scott,

For that small difference in price, I think you will be miles ahead to buy locally. When things go amiss, you really do want someone in your corner, in my opinion. Price may determine the first sale, but price alone very seldom determines the second one, I think with good reason.

I appreciate the fact your local dealer was straight with you. I am finding that attitude is increasingly common.

Steve

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steve,

I have recommended for awhile for people living within a reasonable distance from their manufacturer, to take it back to them for warranty work. I found with Coachmen anyway, quick response and excellent service.

I found people don't realize that at least some of the manufacturers (if not all) have a service department. Immediate access to parts is a plus, especially when they find something wrong that you didn't notice or a more complicated issue than was initially thought.

Finally, I know that at least Coachmen has a yearly rally (usually around Indiana or Michigan) where you can register, note any issues in advance, and they come to the rally with parts to fix it (I have seen them replacing microwaves, speakers, leveling systems, etc). And if they find they cannot fix it there, will set up to take it to the factory for larger repairs. Best part is that they will often fix items that are out of manufacturer warranty on older rigs for free.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
It would be nice to have a manufacturer's repair facility close to home base, but the honest truth is that there are more mfgrs that are belly-up than there are still in business..
People who own products by one of tbhose mfgrs that are now owned by one of the mega-mfgrs like Thor are just about as orphaned as those who are just plain gone... One absorbed by one of the giants, it seems that product line dilutes over the period of 3-5 years until there is little if any distinction between the product lines.
The mfgr of my Toy Hauler is back in business, but under Pacific Coachworks (I believe) and you cannot get parts or support for my TH from them.
It's okay though because other than some of the trim and decals, everything on my rig is pretty much industry standard components..

I hope that you get a great deal on the right unit Scott!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:46 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Manufacturers vary a great deal in terms of helpfulness and their ability to help. When I last called Forest River tech support they apologized for not being able to help but said they did not have a wiring diagram either and could only guess along with me. There is never any harm in contacting a manufacturer and, as suggested sometimes they can be very helpful. Sometimes however, timing may not be ideal for a rally and travel to the manufacturer's own service center may not be possible.

Consolidation is hurting every aspect of daily life, in my opinion, including RVs. The largest wholesale distributor of RV parts in the country just emailed a notice of impending buy-out yesterday. When I used to order parts I was guaranteed 48 hour delivery. After their buy-out it went to 72+ hours and with this one who knows. I have yet to see a buy-out that has benefited anyone other than stock holders and I agree they kill innovation.

Steve

Old 10-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
So we sat down with the Palomino dealer today. Looks like I'll be making the call to order it this week. My wife who has been trying to be as cheap as possible saw a bunch of options she liked, and well, now we'll be spending a bit more. It will be a 2015 Palomino Puma 351THSS with the Premier Package. The silver/ grey will match my truck a lot better than a white one. Getting a good number on it, and even better, I can order it now, have it come in around Christmas, and then store it there until March for free. Warranty won't start until I pick it up. Can't beat that!

Old 10-18-2014, 06:19 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
So we sat down with the Palomino dealer today. Looks like I'll be making the call to order it this week. My wife who has been trying to be as cheap as possible saw a bunch of options she liked, and well, now we'll be spending a bit more. It will be a 2015 Palomino Puma 351THSS with the Premier Package. The silver/ grey will match my truck a lot better than a white one. Getting a good number on it, and even better, I can order it now, have it come in around Christmas, and then store it there until March for free. Warranty won't start until I pick it up. Can't beat that!
The exterior color is a good choice. One of my dealers said he thinks it will soon be impossible to sell the plain Jane white models (like ours) used. Like it or not, exterior color is really selling.

Steve

Old 10-18-2014, 06:32 PM
-brent
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best wishes on your new unit Scott.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you found something you like. Good luck with it.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Sounds like a really nice package Scott... Did they give you any options on getting LT tires instead of STs?

Quick Reply: Looking for some insight on a few toyhaulers